A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
@sirBenski Are you on full ultra? How is it on cities?

Since 1.10, or 1.07 (can't even remember), my performance on cities went down a lot. I could maintain a frame rate of 35~55 FPS on cities until 1.07, but since then it basically locks at 28-30 and stutters like hell. (Turning down graphics makes it stutter less, but it still stutters even on the lowest possible setting)

I think i'll just abandon my wishes of playing on ultra and turn down GrassDistanceScale (and maybe other things too). Sadly the pop-in that is already horrible will get even worse :(

Hey, I'm not on full Ultra.

Graphics
Shadows = High
Hairworks = Off
Number of Background Characters = High

Post Processing
Motion blur = Off
Chromatic Aberration = Off
Vignette = Off
Frame Rate = Lockted to 60FPS
V-sync = On

I tried turning off V-sync and unlocking the frame rate then turning on Adaptive v-sync via the Nvida Control Panel but I still see something weird (it's not tearing but it's not that smooth) so I just turned V-sync on in the game again. When in cities, I rarely get a solid 60FPS but it's still in the mid 50s. I find that it's smoother if you navigate the cities when it's night (game time).

Most say that turning down the Foliage Distance down will help get some FPS back but yeah, I hate pop-ins so I set it back to ultra.

I turned off some of the Post Processing options mostly because I don't like it.

Do note that I have overclocked by graphics card a bit so it may be a factor too.

I also turned off the FPS counter (I'm using Steam) because it's driving me crazy! Every single dip below 60FPS distracts me from the game. Lol!
I'm happy with how the game performs both in graphical fidelity and performance so I'll probably stick with these settings for now.

@sirBenski I assume you're using Depth of Field and HBAO+? Also, what's your CPU?

And yeah, playing with a FPS counter basically means me not being able to play. Most times i just turn it off and don't mind the dips to lower FPS values, since i get used to it.
But in cities it gets to the point where it annoys me anyway, since 29 FPS and below starts to feel like a slideshow. Pair that with stuttering and you've got a big, horrible mess.

@sirBenski I assume you're using Depth of Field and HBAO+? Also, what's your CPU?

And yeah, playing with a FPS counter basically means me not being able to play. Most times i just turn it off and don't mind the dips to lower FPS values, since i get used to it.
But in cities it gets to the point where it annoys me anyway, since 29 FPS and below starts to feel like a slideshow. Pair that with stuttering and you've got a big, horrible mess.

Yeah. I have DoF turned on and using HBAO+. Never felt the need to turn them down. I tried once but never felt any gain so might as well leave them on.
I'm using the i5-6500 @3.20Ghz.

I'm having serious issues with the witcher 3 with random crashes. I have a high end gaming laptop but i still seem to have issues. Basically what happens is the game will randomly crash to a black screen with sound and is very difficult to get out of the game to retry settings.

This happens most regularly when I kill enemies. I'm not sure if this is to do with gaining xp or anything. I am level 20 at the moment.

my computer stats are

CPU: INTEL CORE I7 6700K Quad-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz TurboBoost)▼
GPU: Single GeForce GTX 980M 8GB with G-SYNC▼
Ram: 16GB Kingston HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHZ ▼
Motherboard: Notebook P7xxDM(-G) ▼
Hard drive 1: 240GB SSD ▼
Hard drive 2: 1TB SSD ▼
Display: EON17-X 1920 X 1080 17.3" IPS Backlit Display with G-SYNC▼

Last edited:
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.