A Fan Service DLC like "Citadel" For The Witcher 3

+
garrusbiggestfan said:
Omega and levithean are way overpriced but are fun. The prothean is good (since you get Javik) but the Citadel was awesome and you can get the slayer armor for male shepard or the phantom armor for fem shep. I would reccomend it

Yes, they are well done DLCs.

The only thing that bothers me is that if you buy all those DLCs,
you pay the same as for the main game (if not more) for a few hours of extra content.

Now I ask you: why is it cheaper to produce a full game than it is to produce DLC ?
Maybe...perhaps... someone is ripping us all off ?

:p

emperorzorn said:
Yes, they are well done DLCs.

The only thing that bothers me is that if you buy all those DLCs,
you pay the same as for the main game (if not more) for a few hours of extra content.

:p/>/>
Yeah, given that they screwed with the ending, they could at least gave The Citadel for free. I don't know fans didn't deserve their happy ending... free happy ending preferably.

No thanks. Fan service is subjective, Citadel was an even bigger slap in the face to me. Fan service to some people, not to others...I actually couldn't believe how well received it was. But people were desperate for something to get the taste of dat ending out of their mouths I suppose.

For me fan service would have been a DLC where Shepard personally boards Harbinger and blows out his Reaper brain from within. Because to me that was what I wanted more for emotional closure...to end Harbinger personally for enslaving the Protheans to harvest Humans in ME2.

Some sappy fan service/big goodbye wouldn't fit the tone, or the universe of the Witcher anyway...and the Citadel was awful, so sappy, melodramatic...literally like a crappy soap opera. And it takes place while Reapers are actually eating worlds alive.

Rest of the game is about Shepard's psyche being tested as all the sacrifices he has made, and all the people around him being hurt/affected by those start to unravel him...but no he can chillax and have one last party? Again, while entire worlds burn, Garrus gets pissed by people who stall the mission, there is a quote FROM SHEPARD at one point "Palavan is burning, EARTH is burning."

Shepard leaving Earth, and watching the child get blown up by a Reaper at the start emotionally drives the game, and all of that is thrown out the window for fan service? Fan service to who?

garrusbiggestfan said:
Omega and levithean are way overpriced but are fun. The prothean is good (since you get Javik) but the Citadel was awesome and you can get the slayer armor for male shepard or the phantom armor for fem shep. I would reccomend it

But this is old content! Shouldn't it be cheaper by now?

Anyway, I don't think such fanservice would fit TW3. I mean imagine if you throw a party with Roche and Iorveth just pops up...

I generally don't like DLC in RPGs because they are short and fragmented. This means that any story developments are null in the sequel because devs can't predict how many people will buy it and even if they can, most people won't buy them anyway.

An expansion pack? That sounds good.

Cormacolindor said:
But this is old content! Shouldn't it be cheaper by now?

Anyway, I don't think such fanservice would fit TW3. I mean imagine if you throw a party with Roche and Iorveth just pops up...

I generally don't like DLC in RPGs because they are short and fragmented. This means that any story developments are null in the sequel because devs can't predict how many people will buy it and even if they can, most people won't buy them anyway.

An expansion pack? That sounds good.

I agree with your comment, but the bolded part (while incredibly true in linear/focused games like Mass Effect) isn't so much of a problem in an open world environment, there are tons of ways to implement short fragmented quests/stories/little areas via DLC...the wonderful thing about open world is that you don't need to give the players a reason to go there, so the story you make for it doesn't HAVE to fit the grand scheme at all, players can stumble on it, or make their own motivation to seek it out etc... In a game like Mass Effect, you need to direct players to the content, so you necessarily have to weave it into the already existing narrative, and you end up with a situation like Leviathan - great content that meant NOTHING. It would have been one of the better sections of the game if it launched with it...but we knew the story/content ultimately served no purpose to the larger story.

However yes, anything involving the main quest/story would still need to be something larger like an expansion pack, but CDPR has already indicated that their thought process is similar when it comes to DLC/expansions (and they've stated they won't charge money for DLC releases unless they feel the content is large enough to be deemed a full expansion anyway...which means most post launch content everyone will get since its free).

Please no "end of franchise DLC" or any other kind of "fan-service" DLC or I might vomit.
NO DLC AT ALL would be best.

Not that I want to argue about how good\crappy the Citadel DLC is but... don't you guys think that The Witcher is not absolutely fanservice free?

secondchildren said:
Not that I want to argue about how good\crappy the Citadel DLC is but... don't you guys think that The Witcher is not absolutely fanservice free?

I think there is nothing wrong with fanservice, as long as the actual story
stays in the foreground and people aren't bombarded with it.

In fact we have so many fans of certain characters here on the forum (Triss, Yennefer, Ciri, Vez, Philippa, Vernon, Iorveth, etc..),
that it seems like the obvious choice to include at least some fanservice in the game.

I just don't think it should happen with DLCs,
it should be in the game when it's released.

:)

We don't have enough quests like http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Old_Friend_of_Mine anymore though, I'd like to see more of these.

Kallelinski said:
A party like in Witcher 1/2 would be nice again, but there is a problem, it's war. That's not exactly the best time to celebrate a big reunion party.

Peacetime DLC where everything isn't trampled and burnt, you play as a younger Geralt with Yennefer and Ciri before Thanedd.

Happy days.

secondchildren said:
There's a difference between fanservic-y content that still feels natural and not forced, and the kind of crap Citadel pulled off. It's like watching a movie that throws in parts of its parody counterpart in the middle of it - it just doesn't mix, I'm afraid.

So while a lighthearted night out with the guys feels perfectly normal in TW1, since, you know, the writers apparently know what they're doing, the "content" from the Citadel DLC makes zero sense in the context of ME3. It's dumb, it's cringeworthy and it should certainly not be part of the canon because it's that moronic. As I said, this is what machinimas are for, not paid DLC. I'll be very cross if we get this sort of crap in TW3.

The feather guy from TW2 walked a fine line, let's not push it any further.

mothra said:
Please no "end of franchise DLC" or any other kind of "fan-service" DLC or I might vomit.
NO DLC AT ALL would be best.

Enhanced Edition was mostly ending DLC for TW2, just as a FYI.

IsengrimR

ApolloZen said:
Enhanced Edition was mostly ending DLC for TW2, just as a FYI.

I think he means DLC you have to pay for. You have to say that the use and the originall meaning of the term differ right now. I am not saying that DLC is bad ( and I think that Mortha also doesn't ) but what is done with DLC today is crossing the bloody line.
Cutting out content of the game to make dlc - check.
Releasing unfinished product and then "complete" it up with payed DLCs - check.
Makeing preordering a mean to get DLC free - check.
Making shitty DLCs and "buying power" DLCs that you have to pay for - check.
Including DLC in main game but making you pay for it ( for unlocking it ) - check.
Etc.

Yes, EE was a downloadable content. Was it DLC? No ( despite the contratiction ), but notice how you have to add the word "free" to give DLC the entire new meaning. A free DLC - yeah. A DLC - no.

Praise the lord REDs treat us with actuall love :p/>/> and do not make us pay for it.

If they make an expansion though - I would be cool with paying for that. With their attitude I would assume that the mass and quality of content they would put into one would be 100 % worth it.

EDIT:

About the fanservice. Yeah, there is fanservice in Witcher, especially for ones that read the books. But it's sublte and made with taste ( despite W1 sex in the warzone scene... But hey, I wouldn't ever, ever ever say no to
Toruviel
).

EDIT 2: I looked at my own nickname and laughed... yeah, that's also why I wouldn't say no.

An expansion might actually work.

You know, go to the harbor and take a ship to ..lets say Kovir and Poviss.

The expansion would include a new worldspace, new quests, new characters and
a plot that makes sense in context with the main story, but can stand on it's own.

Maybe there could be a Nilfgaardian delegation backing Poviss to declare independance from Kovir,
so that they could in return let Nilfgaard use the vast ressources their mines produce for their war effort.

And Geralt gets to choose a side, like in TW2 Act 2.
That'd be fun, wouldn't it ?

Plz do not refer to that horrible game called ME3, was an atrocity for ME fans... And dat crew of yours... Like dragon age 2 so homo... Everyone wants commander Sheppard's arse.

There's a difference between fanservic-y content that still feels natural and not forced, and the kind of crap Citadel pulled off. It's like watching a movie that throws in parts of its parody counterpart in the middle of it - it just doesn't mix, I'm afraid.

So while a lighthearted night out with the guys feels perfectly normal in TW1, since, you know, the writers apparently know what they're doing, the "content" from the Citadel DLC makes zero sense in the context of ME3. It's dumb, it's cringeworthy and it should certainly not be part of the canon because it's that moronic. As I said, this is what machinimas are for, not paid DLC. I'll be very cross if we get this sort of crap in TW3.

The feather guy from TW2 walked a fine line, let's not push it any further.

This, a thousand times. I'm a huge fan of the ME franchise, ending notwithstanding I didn't think ME3 was half as bad as most people are making it out to be, but GOOD LORD, the Citadel DLC was terrible. Aside from the fact that it obviously doesn't make sense if you actually think of it as something that's supposed to somehow fit into the main storyline, practically every single moment in the whole thing felt like subpar fanfic.

I'm not worried for a second that CDPR will walk into that trap, though. Like others have already said, the first two games have plenty of fanservice moments, little winks, nods and in-jokes and dialogue that's obviously just there for people who love the characters, and they've always managed to integrate it tastefully, not slop it all over everything like excessively sweet strawberry jam.

I was just playing ME3's citadel DLC and thought it would be nice to have something like that for Witcher 3 after the two big expansions, then a quick google search and I'm here to revive an old thread. Given the game's endings are pretty short, it would be a nice addition to say goodbye to Geralt's saga, with most characters in one place/area.

Though I'd still rather see a wedding or something that would really make the story of Geralt end. Not that I don't trust Dandelion's tales, I just want to see it for myself on how the story ends perfectly. Let's just hope that it's in the expansion pack. My friends and I have already pre-ordered the expansion pack and we're quite excited about it, maybe they have added additional romance scenes in it, who knows. Though yeah, there's already a list of what's inside the expansion, but we could always hope for something better. The ME3 DLC of Citadel was fair for me, though I wasn't paying too much attention on it, but it's nice to see somtehing like that on TW3. Oh yeah, a spoiler to those who said they're currently on war...
In the end, Nilfgaard won, no more war. Then, the bard's tale would proceed to whichever Ciri chose in according to how strict you were to her, then, the fate of Geralt on whether he's a lone witcher, with Triss, or Yen.

I at least want to have good times right after it...

No-no-no, I don't like even Sapkowski's "DLC" of such kind to books - 'Something Ends, Something Begins'

I would prefer adding of more dialogues for main cast throughout the different parts of the plot (this problem is widely known as 'Well?' over here)

I am in for a paid DLC or Expansion that lets us to play post main story of TW3. We all know that at the Main story end

- The world will not have Ciri/ Yen/ Triss and no interaction with any of Geralt's friends too

After all the trouble of saving Ciri and confessing love to Triss and breaking up with Yen (In my playthrough)
what would I want - Spend some quality time with Ciri and Triss
- Go Ice skating with Ciri
- Travel different worlds to see what Ciri was telling us all this time
- Defeat a mighty Magical Beast or Dragon with Ciri, Triss and Geralt's Friends.
- May be a small war so that Geralt and Co can fight together.
- Play Gwent with scaling difficulty and have challenging AI tactics in-game.
- Travel to Kovir and Poviss, Story with Triss and a few missions.
- Most importantly want to see the bonding of a Family that Ciri, Triss and Geralt share.
- Also I want to see Triss and Yen fight over something, players will choose whom they can role play as ;)

Other Possibilities
- Would definitely love to play How Geralt and Yen met? What is their relationship before TW1.
- How Ciri saved Geralt and Yen
and
- The tales of Lambert and Keira

Any of these should have proper Romance options and scenes with proper boss battles :)

---------- Updated at 01:44 PM ----------

An expansion might actually work.

You know, go to the harbor and take a ship to ..lets say Kovir and Poviss.

The expansion would include a new worldspace, new quests, new characters and
a plot that makes sense in context with the main story, but can stand on it's own.

Maybe there could be a Nilfgaardian delegation backing Poviss to declare independance from Kovir,
so that they could in return let Nilfgaard use the vast ressources their mines produce for their war effort.

And Geralt gets to choose a side, like in TW2 Act 2.
That'd be fun, wouldn't it ?

and Priscilla
she is from Kovir after all
A ballad on Ciri, Triss and Geralt by Priscilla ;)

A ballad on Triss

Top Bottom