A Fan Service DLC like "Citadel" For The Witcher 3

+
Csszr said:
Well an issue with that will be their console releases. Unless they do an enhanced edition for W3 and wait so they can use that as their one freebie.

I'm wondering how they'll handle this because they can't pull an EE trick this time with the game launching simultaneously on all three platforms. Both Witcher games received several hours of free content along with all the in-game items. That's simply not going to fly with MS or Sony.

slimgrin said:
I'm wondering how they'll handle this because they can't pull and EE trick this time with the game launching simultaneously on all three platforms. Both Witcher games received several hours of free content along with all the in-game items. That's simply not going to fly with MS or Sony.

Do MS and Sony require any additional content to be charged for, and not given away for free?

Fuck no.
Pandering to your fans is one of the reasons why the writing of ME3 was so shitty in the first place. Fans should have no place in regards to directly affecting a game's content.

ryannberg said:
Do MS and Sony require any additional content to be charged for, and not given away for free?
MS limits the amount that can be given away. Valve once gave away DLC for Left For Dead on PC, while Xbox owners had to pay for it. I'm pretty sure the amount TW2 got would far exceed this limit.

IsengrimR

Let me tell you something. A story, one might say, but a "logical rant" ( despite the contradiction ) is more of a sort.
Cidatel DLC - what it is? Well, I'll tell you - it's a simple DLC trying to convince people that Bioware isn't down in a shitter. I've read a lot of dumbarse comments saying "well, Bioware listened" about this DLC, and I will tell you something - you are PAYING for it. I might add you are paying ADDIOTIONALLY for it, as you already bought the bloody game in the first place, and bloody hell, if somebody would throw this amount of money at me after I just took him and screwed him out of his money few months back - I would do exactly the same.
It's a desperate try to get people back to Mass Effect after a colossal FAILURE ME3 was. Cidatel DLC includes everything, everything I absolutely despise about EA games, the proof of their utter greed. It's a "payed fanservice" giving everything you would want ( following the way of Mass Effect 2 [ no story, good characters ] ) about your characters you got attached to.
The issue, the wrongness of it is in the fact that it is obvious, and made without any limits or taste, just throwing it out there, calling it "fanservice".

No, it's wrong, it's tasteless, it disgusts me.

Witcher doesn't need a fanservice, because all Reds are doing is fanservice. They are serving their fans ( us ) with taste and logic as both Witcher games proven, giving us free DLC/expansions and reliable patching in addition to rock solid products. The important thing is that not only they profit from it, but also they seem to love doing it, they seem to be full in, doing what they love, actually caring about what they create and not spewing out products for bloated publisher just for sheer profit.

If Witcher 3 provides closure and is a good game ( hopefully it will be an amazing one ) a "citadel like" dlc will be not needed.

Additionally, if I might add...
Ceterum autem censeo EA esse delendam.

If they can make it feel not forced, ok, if not, don't try, although I would much rather have the part of focus being directed into that, to be directed at the original game instead.

ColIsengrim said:
Let me tell you something. A story, one might say, but a "logical rant" ( despite the contradiction ) is more of a sort.
Cidatel DLC - what it is? Well, I'll tell you - it's a simple DLC trying to convince people that Bioware isn't down in a shitter. I've read a lot of dumbarse comments saying "well, Bioware listened" about this DLC, and I will tell you something - you are PAYING for it. I might add you are paying ADDIOTIONALLY for it, as you already bought the bloody game in the first place, and bloody hell, if somebody would throw this amount of money at me after I just took him and screwed him out of his money few months back - I would do exactly the same.
It's a desperate try to get people back to Mass Effect after a colossal FAILURE ME3 was. Cidatel DLC includes everything, everything I absolutely despise about EA games, the proof of their utter greed. It's a "payed fanservice" giving everything you would want ( following the way of Mass Effect 2 [ no story, good characters ] ) about your characters you got attached to.
The issue, the wrongness of it is in the fact that it is obvious, and made without any limits or taste, just throwing it out there, calling it "fanservice".

No, it's wrong, it's tasteless, it disgusts me.

Witcher doesn't need a fanservice, because all Reds are doing is fanservice. They are serving their fans ( us ) with taste and logic as both Witcher games proven, giving us free DLC/expansions and reliable patching in addition to rock solid products. The important thing is that not only they profit from it, but also they seem to love doing it, they seem to be full in, doing what they love, actually caring about what they create and not spewing out products for bloated publisher just for sheer profit.

If Witcher 3 provides closure and is a good game ( hopefully it will be an amazing one ) a "citadel like" dlc will be not needed.

Additionally, if I might add...
Ceterum autem censeo EA esse delendam.

Boy... you just spoiled me the entire fun

@ OP, wow for artwork and for including everyone. Everyone! Even Griggs!

@ Col.Isengrim
"Ceterum autem censeo EA esse delendam."

"Furthermore I think EA should be destroyed."

Wow. Well, we know what happened to Carthage(if you don't then know it got burned to the ground) after a couple of speeches ending on that particular note.

@ all the rest

I don't know about this Citadel stuff, I don't. It's a nice idea, to be able to say farewell to NPC's you've invested time in. But what I do know is that the both Witcher games left me curious and wondering, but still very satisfied. I believe Witcher 3 will not disappoint.

But Blothulfur said it already, CDPR don't charge for the extra stuff they do, be it patches, 'DLC', extra adventures, editors or the famous enhanced edition so I'm not worried.

Whatever they do between Witcher 3 1.0 and Enhanced Edition, it will be very fulfilling to complete it, and whatever ending will leave us greatly satisfied. And I'm a pessimist, mind you, so you can easily say I have some serious faith in CDPR. ;)

IsengrimR

BellatorPiusGratus said:
@ OP, wow for artwork and for including everyone. Everyone! Even Griggs! />

@ Col.Isengrim
"Ceterum autem censeo EA esse delendam."

"Furthermore I think EA should be destroyed."

Wow. Well, we know what happened to Carthage(if you don't then know it got burned to the ground) after a couple of speeches ending on that particular note.

@ all the rest

I don't know about this Citadel stuff, I don't. It's a nice idea, to be able to say farewell to NPC's you've invested time in. But what I do know is that the both Witcher games left me curious and wondering, but still very satisfied. I believe Witcher 3 will not disappoint.

But Blothulfur said it already, CDPR don't charge for the extra stuff they do, be it patches, 'DLC', extra adventures, editors or the famous enhanced edition so I'm not worried.

Whatever they do between Witcher 3 1.0 and Enhanced Edition, it will be very fulfilling to complete it, and whatever ending will leave us greatly satisfied. And I'm a pessimist, mind you, so you can easily say I have some serious faith in CDPR. ;)/>

If I didn't know what happended to Carthage, I wouldn't use that quote from Cato :p

Well, the issue here is that, considering what your choices are, I would presume characters end up in different positions. If the TW3 ending provides closure, if it let's you see what the hell happens, this kind of "goodbye" scene is not needed.
If you want I can give you the example from Bioware - Ending of Dragon Age: Origins - is basically one of the best endings in videogames I saw to date. Clear, informative, simple and nice. Covering the consequnces, covering your companions future. ( aka proof that bioware wasn't shit from that start... just happened to get shitty later ).
Be we do not have to go that far, Witcher 1 - hell, we even get a goodbye from Dandelion, Witcher 2 - finishing unfinished business.
If you know what happens, you do not need a big gathering in which everybody is like "yeah, let's totally ignore everyhting that happens".
Not that I do not expect seeing Geralt, Dandelion, Zoltan and the rest of the dwarf company sitting in the tavern drinking vodka and eating snails, but that would be totally immersive, not thrown out of context and from nowhere.

ColIsengrim said:
If I didn't know what happended to Carthage, I wouldn't use that quote from Cato :p/>/>/>/>/>/>

Well, the issue here is that, considering what your choices are, I would presume characters end up in different positions. If the TW3 ending provides closure, if it let's you see what the hell happens, this kind of "goodbye" scene is not needed.
If you want I can give you the example from Bioware - Ending of Dragon Age: Origins - is basically one of the best endings in videogames I saw to date. Clear, informative, simple and nice. Covering the consequnces, covering your companions future. ( aka proof that bioware wasn't shit from that start... just happened to get shitty later ).
Be we do not have to go that far, Witcher 1 - hell, we even get a goodbye from Dandelion, Witcher 2 - finishing unfinished business.
If you know what happens, you do not need a big gathering in which everybody is like "yeah, let's totally ignore everyhting that happens".
Not that I do not expect seeing Geralt, Dandelion, Zoltan and the rest of the dwarf company sitting in the tavern drinking vodka and eating snails, but that would be totally immersive, not thrown out of context and from nowhere.

Haha, okay I see your point. Regarding Bioware I will always be grateful for the many games they developed. No matter what they did or how they did it with Mass Effect 3.

Regarding endings I liked Dragon Age Origins as well.

Maybe there can be a gathering in the middle of the game? Maybe more natural? Not goodbye before the shit storm hits, but like the many reminiscing conversations in Witcher 1?

Regarding pace and probability then all who played Witcher 1 know that Geralt found himself in a
full scale rebellion(and a city on fire)
in Witcher 1. But that didn't stop him from sexing up a certain someone(depending which path you've chosen). If the player wanted him to that is. Maybe not the same thing as a big farewell party while the world dies outside, but still.

And while we're on the Latin, Col. Isengrim, I say: "Ne invoces expellere non possis." Bioware and Baldur's Gate taught me that. :p But then again it was EA you were adressing your Latin to, not Bioware. ;)

Citadel was absolutely terrible. Pass. I don't want the devs to waste time on what is essentially fan fiction and is more fit to a dumb machinima video.

Citadel was just an attempt to fix a game that was poorly received by the fanbase. I hope something like the Citadel DLC isn't going to be necessary for The Witcher 3, because then it would mean that W3 has failed.

IsengrimR

BellatorPiusGratus said:
Haha, okay I see your point. Regarding Bioware I will always be grateful for the many games they developed. No matter what they did or how they did it with Mass Effect 3.

Regarding endings I liked Dragon Age Origins as well.

Maybe there can be a gathering in the middle of the game? Maybe more natural? Not goodbye before the shit storm hits, but like the many reminiscing conversations in Witcher 1?

Regarding pace and probability then all who played Witcher 1 know that Geralt found himself in a
full scale rebellion(and a city on fire)
in Witcher 1. But that didn't stop him from sexing up a certain someone(depending which path you've chosen). If the player wanted him to that is. /> Maybe not the same thing as a big farewell party while the world dies outside, but still.

And while we're on the Latin, Col. Isengrim, I say: "Ne invoces expellere non possis." Bioware and Baldur's Gate taught me that. :p/> But then again it was EA you were adressing your Latin to, not Bioware. ;)/>

Oh, c'mon that scene had it coming

I don't wish anything good for both right now. Things change, sometimes the reasons are sufficient to turn respect into hate.
I like to belive that my little campaing of discouraging my friends from buying EA games, and not buying EA games myself does something. Maybe it will change from "caveat emptor" to "caveat venditor".
But that's just me blowing my own horn and overestimating my own effords.

Cool idea . It also makes me sad . It was so sad to say "Good Bye" to Commander Shepard , it'll be even more difficult to say the same to our beloved "Geralt of Rivia" :(
Hopefully there will be some kind of prequel story of Geralt at some point .

I'd say its important to have light moments to balance out the darker tone of the game. While not really an important part of the game which is why many companies don't bother to do them too much, lighter moments such as Shani's party or even the time you get drunk in Witcher 2 can become very memorable moments that help increase a player's enjoyment of the game.

Cormacolindor said:
I have never played the Mass Effect 3 DLC, are they worth it? I've heard good things about Citadel.
Omega and levithean are way overpriced but are fun. The prothean is good (since you get Javik) but the Citadel was awesome and you can get the slayer armor for male shepard or the phantom armor for fem shep. I would reccomend it

Top Bottom