A few ideas on some major cards among all factions.

+
Hi all.
there are few ideas I personally would expect CDPR to change on some major cards among all factions.
Start with Syndicate, Whoreson Junior 10 provision but can do 6 damage? hello? It doesn't matter if its devotion or not, this card is just way too strong and unfair. Throughout the overall Gwent cards, there is no other UNIT card that can do 6 damage. One-eyed Betsy is 10 provision and only do 6 damage when enemy unit has armour, Phi: blind fury do 10 damage but it's mostly random, Falibor do 6 damage but its a combination of 3+2+1, so how can Whoreson Junior do a single hit with 6 damage???. And Jackpot, people who plays Jackpot doesnt have to worry about if profit will be wasted cos it will boost on that unit. This is just making this leader too much better than any other Syndicate leaders, this has to be fixed otherwise most people will then only plays jackpot. Thought initially Syndicate is a fun faction cos there are a lot maths to be done but because of this jackpot, lol, no technical or skilled based anymore. sad.
Then NR, the king Foltest should increase one more provision tbh, and the newest update on reinforced ballista, should set cooldown by 2, 1 is way too ridiculous. I really don't understand whether the CDPR staffs whoever responsible for designing cards have really actually played Gwent before or not?
For monster, obviously, the Koshchey, definitely should increase more provision even up to 12 or 13. BTW, nowadays people don't play kikimore queen anymore, why not just delete this card huh?
For Nilfgaard, LOL, everyone knows blightmaker is doing 11 points potentially at 5p, lol, CDPR, is this how you balance the game or make one faction blindly huge?
For ST, cut one provision on natural's gift please, rofl, dude every time you play a natural card you have one point on your deck, how are you supposed to let its opponent bleeds it at round 2 if both party has 7 cards?
For Neutral cards, I think teleportation is a fun card but if you make it an Epic card with 4 provision it will make much more sense, as well as megascope. Epic means you can only carry one card, I think it's making more sense.
there are still a lot small things I did not mention but mainly these cards and some leader abilities are making game unbalanced.
And finally, there are some old cards that need to be renovated such as water of Broklion, wolf pack and some pathetic little provision cards.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Agree with all except ST and neutral, and i think most players with enough experience and who are able to project an unbiased opinion would agree too.

Syndicate is so overtuned its ridiculous, if 2020 was the "year of Ball and Heatwave", 2021 is the "year of syndicate domination" - first lined pockets, then pirate's cove, now jackpot...

Whoreson Jr was already decent but unnecessarily buffed, everyone and their mothers could tell right as the buff was announced it was gonna be auto-include. And it doesnt just do 6dmg, it does 6 on deploy, plus 3 with coins/insanity, as many times you want! So to play outside of its removal range, it needs to be 10+... which poison will love to see.

The blightmaker + mage assassin is the other obvious OP cards, no setbacks, all the advantages, single handedly pushed NG right into the top of the meta. Basically they're golds, disguised as bronzes, with bronze provision costs.

Koschey is also a bit problematic, every MO deck now seems to be sabbath Koschey, the change to endrega larvae was a huge indirect buff to Koschey. I dont know the best way to adjust Koschey, but Kiki queen really needs a buff to be on the same level (coincidentally, saw one today and lost to it, although my opponent also played Koschey).

I think ruehin need to buff because after succubus, nobody plays it so i think it can be take buff kind a (whenever triggers deatwish ability increase its base power by 1 )

I'll jump on this train and suggest a change I had on my mind for quite some time now: that ST Mantis guy.

It always struck me as awkward that this mantis would ambush a potential "prey" with poison, since they actually have no poison as a weapon in nature. Surely I won't go as far as suggest realism in a high-level fantasy game, however I deem it more adequate that a mantis would ambush his target by immobilizing them or, in other words, by locking them. A surprise lock trap might increase this card's play rate - I know I have a spot for this effect in one of my decks. At the end of the day, it would be another 6-provision ST gold card that has the lock effect.

I agree with the blightmaker being too OP. It can do 11 damage, put non boosted units on the board, thin the deck AND it only costs 5. The syndicate "problem" I have is that they can use the units fee as soon as it is played which leaves no interaction and chance of removal from the opponent. Just throwing out an idea that maybe they could have a separate activation fee which is needed to activate certain skills for use on the turn they are played, or simply to activate them in general if they are op

Agree with all except ST and neutral, and i think most players with enough experience and who are able to project an unbiased opinion would agree too.

Syndicate is so overtuned its ridiculous, if 2020 was the "year of Ball and Heatwave", 2021 is the "year of syndicate domination" - first lined pockets, then pirate's cove, now jackpot...

Whoreson Jr was already decent but unnecessarily buffed, everyone and their mothers could tell right as the buff was announced it was gonna be auto-include. And it doesnt just do 6dmg, it does 6 on deploy, plus 3 with coins/insanity, as many times you want! So to play outside of its removal range, it needs to be 10+... which poison will love to see.

The blightmaker + mage assassin is the other obvious OP cards, no setbacks, all the advantages, single handedly pushed NG right into the top of the meta. Basically they're golds, disguised as bronzes, with bronze provision costs.

Koschey is also a bit problematic, every MO deck now seems to be sabbath Koschey, the change to endrega larvae was a huge indirect buff to Koschey. I dont know the best way to adjust Koschey, but Kiki queen really needs a buff to be on the same level (coincidentally, saw one today and lost to it, although my opponent also played Koschey).
No idea how you can say that Whoreson Jr was decent before it got buffed. It barely got any play before it got reworked into the OP card it is now. In the first month after the leader cards were released, aside from the first week when people were testing all the new cards, Whoreson Junior didn't get any play at all because of the boosted unit condition. It was literally the worst leader card. Even more situational, meme cards such as Meve or Anna Henrietta were getting more play than him.

The buff was indeed too much. It literally made him OP, but still very conditional because you had to play him in a Devotion deck. Devotion decks for the most part suck and lose almost always against decks that use tech neutral cards. Such was the case with Pirate's Cove.

No idea how you can say that Whoreson Jr was decent before it got buffed. It barely got any play before it got reworked into the OP card it is now. In the first month after the leader cards were released, aside from the first week when people were testing all the new cards, Whoreson Junior didn't get any play at all because of the boosted unit condition. It was literally the worst leader card. Even more situational, meme cards such as Meve or Anna Henrietta were getting more play than him.

The buff was indeed too much. It literally made him OP, but still very conditional because you had to play him in a Devotion deck. Devotion decks for the most part suck and lose almost always against decks that use tech neutral cards. Such was the case with Pirate's Cove.

Regarding Whoreson Junior. Before the patch he was too weak. Now he is too strong

What I would wish me is that all those gang get their own little strategy.

What do we already have?

Crownsplitter: Intimidate Support
Blindeye: Hoard Support
Firesworn: Swarm, Generate + MM deck
Tidecloacks: No real synergy visible. Cards can be used in Lined Pockets (Bincy), Hoard (Saul) or as a spender
Cutups: No real synergy visible. Cards like Whoreson's Freak Show and Whoreson Junior can be used in control/bounty decks.
Whoreson Senior can be powerful. Regardless, there are many underperforming cutups cards.

So I would suggest to develop a benefit from boosted units archetype for cutups.

Whoreson Junior would be
Insanity.
Deploy: Damage a boosted enemy unit by 6. Gain a Coin for every point of excess damage dealt.
Devotion(Ranged): Boost an enemy unit by 1, then damage an enemy unit by 6.
Fee 3: Destroy an enemy unit with 3 power or less.

Please find some ideas attached. Henchman should be a 4 power unit and not a special.

Attachments

• Henchman.png
    Henchman.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
  • Payday.png
    Payday.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • Arena_Ghoul.png
    Arena_Ghoul.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • Arena_Endrega.png
    Arena_Endrega.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • Wheel_of_Fortune.png
    Wheel_of_Fortune.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
  • Boris.png
    Boris.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 69

DRK3

Forum veteran

True, Whoreson Jr barely got played in the months after its release. But first of all, that is not a confirmation a card is weak, there are many examples of good cards not being played.

But in this particular case, there's more than that: Lined pockets, cleaver, tunnel drill and safecrackers, the crownsplitters gang in general were tier 0 for a couple months after release, so they dominated the SY choices and there was no space for whoreson Jr there.

However, when they were nerfed, and the pirate cove started gaining popularity, whoreson Jr finally started getting popular, since a pro player included it in his list and won a tournament (cant remember who exactly). And then not even a month later, it was buffed into this.

Whoreson Jr was not weak, it was similar to Yrden - a card where you get great value 80% of the matchups, but it's a brick on the other 20% (*cough cough SK warriors *cough). Doing damage only to boosted units was perhaps a bit too harsh, but it was closer to being balanced than it is now, a single card that instantly converted all its players and SY lists into devotion to maximize it.

Hi, all. I'm here again and I have some opinions on NR cards.
In terms of Reinforced Ballista, this card is obviously too OP with 1 cooldown. Think about this, Both Redanian Archer and Reinforced Ballista are 5 provisions, if you pull them out from your deck using AA (Amphibious Assault), both of them get boosted by four points, which means both of these two cards can survive under any 5P special cards like boiling oil or assassination or rebuke or whatever. However, Redanian Archer, if himself lost two armours (which are be able to provide himself barricade to gain one charge every round to do one damage), he becomes totally useless, while Reinforced Ballista is still able to do one damage per round happily as long as it's not being locked or destroyed. In comparison, lol, Reinforced Ballista is not a fair card with 1 cooldown at all, maybe 2 cooldown I personally think would be perfect.
And I also need to share my another thought on Foltest's Pride, as for an 8 provision card, it has 5 base power and 1 armour, which makes him to be destroyed by a 6p special card only, like parasite or Gigascorpion Decoction. But man, look at other 8p engine cards like Botchling, Nithral, Pavko Gale, Caleb Menge, black Rayla, Philippe Van Moorelhem, etc... , they all have only 5 base power which means they all die from any 5p special card, so how could you make Foltest's Pride so huge and unfair than them? ridiculous! A great idea is when it gains crew it can gain one armour as well, man, that'll be fair enough.
Oh btw, here is my personal idea on two outdated leader abilities Onslaught and Royal Inspiration, (if you want players to play them again, if not just delete them plz rofl.) For Onslaught, either set cooldown to one or every time the order ability is done, spawn a deafening siren on any row. fair. For RI, reduce cd to one or every time the order ability is done, spawn a volunteer on any row, fair I think, compare to some crazy leader ability like imprisonment and carapace, this is definitely fair.

Hi, all. I'm here again and I have some opinions on NR cards.
In terms of Reinforced Ballista, this card is obviously too OP with 1 cooldown. Think about this, Both Redanian Archer and Reinforced Ballista are 5 provisions, if you pull them out from your deck using AA (Amphibious Assault), both of them get boosted by four points, which means both of these two cards can survive under any 5P special cards like boiling oil or assassination or rebuke or whatever. However, Redanian Archer, if himself lost two armours (which are be able to provide himself barricade to gain one charge every round to do one damage), he becomes totally useless, while Reinforced Ballista is still able to do one damage per round happily as long as it's not being locked or destroyed. In comparison, lol, Reinforced Ballista is not a fair card with 1 cooldown at all, maybe 2 cooldown I personally think would be perfect.
Be careful comparing Reinforced Ballista to Redanian Archer. Because Archers work on a charge mechanic rather than a cooldown mechanic, they can store multiple charges and can use those charges at an opportune time. They gain flexibility at the cost of raw power.

Evaluating units when called by Amphibious Assault is also unfair. If anything, it is an indictment of Amphibious Assault.

I don’t much like either Ballistas or archers — and I especially don’t like playing against them. But that’s not because they are unfair or OP. It’s because I dislike the overwhelming emphasis on removal presently in the game. And to be honest, this is caused by too many OP engines (many now coming in at 6 provisions and getting good value from their initial turn even if they are removed).
Post automatically merged:

And I also need to share my another thought on Foltest's Pride, as for an 8 provision card, it has 5 base power and 1 armour, which makes him to be destroyed by a 6p special card only, like parasite or Gigascorpion Decoction. But man, look at other 8p engine cards like Botchling, Nithral, Pavko Gale, Caleb Menge, black Rayla, Philippe Van Moorelhem, etc... , they all have only 5 base power which means they all die from any 5p special card, so how could you make Foltest's Pride so huge and unfair than them? ridiculous! A great idea is when it gains crew it can gain one armour as well, man, that'll be fair enough.
Foltests Pride, if set up with crew, does four points damage every two turns, with half that damage restricted to adjacent units. Nithral, Pavko, Rayla, and Philippe, when set up, do two damage every turn to a target of choice. This is clearly superior to Pride and somewhat offsets Pride’s superior defenses. Botchling and Caleb have sufficiently different abilities that I would not compare them.

Oh btw, here is my personal idea on two outdated leader abilities Onslaught and Royal Inspiration, (if you want players to play them again, if not just delete them plz rofl.) For Onslaught, either set cooldown to one or every time the order ability is done, spawn a deafening siren on any row. fair. For RI, reduce cd to one or every time the order ability is done, spawn a volunteer on any row, fair I think, compare to some crazy leader ability like imprisonment and carapace, this is definitely fair.
Most leaders provide eight to nine points total of direct value, in addition to “leader value” — which can be as simple as adding a bonus action (like one extra damage) to a round. Since both Onslaught and Royal Inspiration apply about 8 times a match, they already provide 8 value. Your proposal would add 16 points to this — definitely unfair.

Moreover, neither Onslaught nor Royal Inspiration is horrible as a power (boring maybe, not horrible). The extra damage ping for SK can help set up blood thirst, or move an otherwise unreachable engine into removal range. The boost for NR can move an engine out of removal range or set up boost based effects. My point is that if changes are needed, those changes must be very subtle.

Last edited:
Be careful comparing Reinforced Ballista to Redanian Archer. Because Archers work on a charge mechanic rather than a cooldown mechanic, they can store multiple charges and can use those charges at an opportune time. They gain flexibility at the cost of raw power.

Evaluating units when called by Amphibious Assault is also unfair. If anything, it is an indictment of Amphibious Assault.

I don’t much like either Ballistas or archers — and I especially don’t like playing against them. But that’s not because they are unfair or OP. It’s because I dislike the overwhelming emphasis on removal presently in the game. And to be honest, this is caused by too many OP engines (many now coming in at 6 provisions and getting good value from their initial turn even if they are removed).

Foltests Pride, if set up with crew, does four points damage every two turns, with half that damage restricted to adjacent units. Nithral, Pavko, Rayla, and Philippe, when set up, do two damage every turn to a target of choice. This is clearly superior to Pride and somewhat offsets Pride’s superior defenses. Botchling and Caleb have sufficiently different abilities that I would not compare them.

Most leaders provide eight to nine points total of direct value, in addition to “leader value” — which can be as simple as adding a bonus action (like one extra damage) to a round. Since both Onslaught and Royal Inspiration apply about 8 times a match, they already provide 8 value. Your proposal would add 16 points to this — definitely unfair.

Moreover, neither Onslaught nor Royal Inspiration is horrible as a power (boring maybe, not horrible). The extra damage ping for SK can help set up blood thirst, or move an otherwise unreachable engine into removal range. The boost for NR can move an engine out of removal range or set up boost based effects. My point is that if changes are needed, those changes must be very subtle.
For leader like force of natural or reckless flurry, you get 9 points suddenly in one round, but for leader like Onslaught and Royal Inspiration you get "points" one by one in a very slow pace, especially for round one when your opponent is on blue coin, he can actually control the length of that round, what if he passes after playing three cards, so playing Onslaught or Royal Inspiration wont be able to provide exactly 8 points like you said. so does round two or round three.
But its tricky to really estimate how many "points" can you get from using leader abilities like Onslaught and Royal Inspiration, exactly like you said "The extra damage ping for SK can help set up blood thirst, or move an otherwise unreachable engine into removal range. The boost for NR can move an engine out of removal range or set up boost based effects." This is a hard topic to value both Onslaught and Royal Inspiration, depends on how the length of that particular game, but for force of natural, its so obvious that 9 points can be given immediately in one round.

Top Bottom