a few of the demo impressions said the writing/dialogue is a little cheesy at times

+
There has been so much buzz over the media members who saw the 50 minute presentation and almost all of it is highly positive, but I've probably heard about 4-5 impressions that said the writing for the dialogue was a little too much, bordering on cheesiness.

I haven't seen the demo and of course this dystopian futuristic city is really violent and harsh, but the feeling I got is that maybe CDPR should tone it back a bit on the foul mouthed language and stuff? Of course there is going to be f-words and c-words same as witcher 3, but a few of these impressions said some characters and their dialogue was a little too much on the vulgar side for it to be believable.

All I can tell say is, I don't like movies or tv shows where a character has foul mouthed language like saying the f-word in every single line of dialogue he/she has. Again, for me, that's a little too much so maybe tone it back a bit? Its definitely going to be a turn off if we keep meeting characters who do nothing but curse curse curse in all their lines. I do hope we actually meet some nice and gentle npc's, not just everyone being total pricks.

To be fair, Cyberpunk is one of the few genres/settings where having cheesiness and overly aggressive punks throwing expletives around is fitting. CDPR have already proven themselves to have the ability to write characters with depth, so I think the demo was more about proving that they could pull off the setting's feeling of constant danger and being on edge (also considering that it takes place early in the game, I'd wager that the writers are more concerned with scene setting rather than revealing the deep backstory of everyone right off the bat) . Remember that witcher 3 had two games of build up to allow for those characters to really solidify in people's minds as believable people. Knowing that Mike Pondsmith is signing off on this, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Yeah when its overused it loses its impact and seems childish.
Oh yeah. Nobody wants 200 hours of Neill Blomkamp thug dialogue lol. But I wouldn't be opposed to there being the Blomkamp touch in busted up urban areas. Thuggos that swear to the point of being comical exist irl too you know : o

I mean.. just say the word "choombatta" out loud, it has that slight air of self aware cornyness about it that I think is key to understanding Pondsmith's mindset was when he was writing the Cyberpunk setting.

Last edited:
I'm thinking this is just the result of a small sample of characters and meant to show the various personalities within Night City. Some criminals are obvious low life scum, others appear as saints.

There has been so much buzz over the media members who saw the 50 minute presentation and almost all of it is highly positive, but I've probably heard about 4-5 impressions that said the writing for the dialogue was a little too much, bordering on cheesiness.

I haven't seen the demo and of course this dystopian futuristic city is really violent and harsh, but the feeling I got is that maybe CDPR should tone it back a bit on the foul mouthed language and stuff? Of course there is going to be f-words and c-words same as witcher 3, but a few of these impressions said some characters and their dialogue was a little too much on the vulgar side for it to be believable.

All I can tell say is, I don't like movies or tv shows where a character has foul mouthed language like saying the f-word in every single line of dialogue he/she has. Again, for me, that's a little too much so maybe tone it back a bit? Its definitely going to be a turn off if we keep meeting characters who do nothing but curse curse curse in all their lines. I do hope we actually meet some nice and gentle npc's, not just everyone being total pricks.

Cheesiness does not necessarily mean foul mouthed language. "Vulgar" language is perfectly fine, especially since this game is based on Cyberpunk and not just cyberpunk.

well to be honest i was just lazily paraphrasing what they said. I'm really not sure what they mean by cheesiness. I know one of the hispanic guys in kinda funny games said he didn't like how jackie had a "fake" mexican accent.

well to be honest i was just lazily paraphrasing what they said. I'm really not sure what they mean by cheesiness. I know one of the hispanic guys in kinda funny games said he didn't like how jackie had a "fake" mexican accent.
Funny, I've heard the exact opposite coming from a Spanish youtuber.

Top Bottom