A Final Kindness failed to trigger - Reasons of State? (all the spoilers)

+
A Final Kindness failed to trigger - Reasons of State? (all the spoilers)

Spoilers ahoy

So I'm doing a terrible playthrough where everyone dies, and to this end I let Keira go off to Fyke Isle after she magically chloroformed me and I didn't even bother checking up on her. So this should have triggered her going to Radovid, who then kills her, right?

I'm now in Skellige ready to get Fringilla and get the Sunstone, and no-one has mentioned Keira at all so far - so I read up online and apparently A Final Kindness is meant to trigger when you speak to Triss after getting back from killing Imlerith, but it wasn't a dialogue option for me... her character entry also hasn't updated since she went to Fyke Isle

Could it have something to do with completing Reasons of State too early? Or has anyone had A Final Kindness trigger at a later point? I really hope so, because the nearest save I have is Following the Thread and I can't cope with doing another Zero Crew/Everybody Dies playthrough of Battle of Kaer Morhen again

:cirisad:

It could be a bug that the quest did not trigger, maybe it only does if you actually confront Keira at Fyke Isle, but it would make sense if she went through with her plan in Geralt's absence. Normally, if she does go to Radovid, then you learn about her fate in the first conversation with Triss in Final Preparations, and A Final Kindness will be started during Blindingly Obvious. Anyway, if you are already in Battle Preparations (Skellige), then it is definitely no longer possible to play this quest.

So this should have triggered her going to Radovid, who then kills her, right?

I'm not sure that happens. I haven't played it exactly as you did, but if you stop the Keira sequence of quests earlier, Keira simply disappears - nobody knows what happened to her.

In theory, you're right. If you've completed A Towerful of Mice, then she should be able to get what she needs and so she should die. But it may also depend on whether or not you picked up any of the research notes while you were checking out the tower?

Or maybe it just wasn't written that way.

Darn... well, thanks for the replies! I'm 85% sure I read the notes (it's not the first playthrough so I've gotten a bit lax about reading stuff), and she's not on a spike in Hierarch Square... looks like in this playthrough, Keira lives! Just somewhere far away. Without Lambert.

...:sad2:

I'm 85% sure I read the notes (it's not the first playthrough so I've gotten a bit lax about reading stuff)

Logically, if you picked up the notes, she wouldn't have found them in the tower so she wouldn't have the info she needed to go and see Radovid. So she'll be off sulking somewhere, scratching her bed mite itches and thinking up a new strategy.

Whether or not CDPR wrote it that way is another matter...

Logically, if you picked up the notes, she wouldn't have found them in the tower so she wouldn't have the info she needed to go and see Radovid. So she'll be off sulking somewhere, scratching her bed mite itches and thinking up a new strategy.

Whether or not CDPR wrote it that way is another matter...

How many notes there are? I remember in all my playthroughs that I found about two or three and Keira still went to the tower for the notes, is there a possibility that after she sleep with Geralt she don't went to the tower and just disappear?

How many notes there are? I remember in all my playthroughs that I found about two or three and Keira still went to the tower for the notes, is there a possibility that after she sleep with Geralt she don't went to the tower and just disappear?

She should still have gone to the tower, if you slept with her. She's already made that decision and left before you woke up and decided not to follow her.

@mothramdeer - I assume that For The Advancement of Learning failed when you went to the Isle of Mists? (so she's not still there, looking for those papers).

The "good" Keira Ending narration mentions the papers that Geralt took (even if he didn't pick any up. I never bother picking them up), and says that Geralt gave them to Keira, although we never witness that. So, in theory, she would need both the papers she found and the papers Geralt found.

But if you DO meet her at the island, and you let her go off to Radovid, do you give her the papers? I've never played that version. But if not, then this has nothing to do with why she doesn't go.

And this is all speculation about it anyway. My suspicion is that it's actually must simpler - CDPR not envisaging that someone would get all the way to this point in the Keira quests and then just stop. So it doesn't get the "She disappeared, nobody knows where she is" ending that comes from failing to complete Towerful of Mice, and it doesn't get any of the endings from Advancement of Learning either.

I wonder what happens if you do Towerful of Mice but not Favor for a Friend? Probably the same.

The only two versions I've played are stopping after Magic Lantern (Not doing Invitation), or completing the whole thing and inviting her to KM.

Last edited:
I do not remember Geralt giving the papers to Keira at Fyke Isle, maybe she takes them from the witcher while he is sleeping if picked up during A Towerful of Mice ? In any case, I do not see why once the objective "Find out what Keira's doing in the tower on Fyke Isle" is active it should make a difference if Geralt lets her go to Radovid or just ignores the rest of the quest, since he is no longer of any help at that point as far as obtaining the papers is concerned. I guess this possibility was just not properly accounted for in the quest design, the fact "q109_keira_to_radovid" (which triggers A Final Kindness later) is only set during the final conversation at the tower, while entering the Isle of Mists before completing the quest just fails it without further consequences.

the fact "q109_keira_to_radovid" (which triggers A Final Kindness later) is only set during the final conversation at the tower, while entering the Isle of Mists before completing the quest just fails it without further consequences.

Yup. The game I think just leaves it in an indeterminate state if you abandon at that point. So we're really just speculating on logical reasons why should have just disappeared.

Top Bottom