A game is only as good as its villain/s

+
Definitely, not those cliche villains like that coporate woman we saw in the trailer. So, I'm going to give an few examples,: a person who wants to torture a murderer for killing his family, a merc who follows the money but has to kill V in exchange for a tremendous reward, or maybe, saving the life of a coporate leader because without this person another coporate war will begin.

Definitely, not those cliche villains like that coporate woman we saw in the trailer. So, I'm going to give an few examples,: a person who wants to torture a murderer for killing his family, a merc who follows the money but has to kill V in exchange for a tremendous reward, or maybe, saving the life of a coporate leader because without this person another coporate war will begin.

I hope they make it unclear that who is foe and who is friend so you kind of have to watch your back all the time when dealing with different people in Night City. Like you said even a friend might turn you over for a high enough reward. (depending earlier actions with that character) would be nice to see what players will do in situaiton where they are completely sold out.

Hmmm... good villains... or antagonists...

Part of me really wants to chip in something from Mass Effect, so why don't we throw the Illusive Man in there? His methods were absolutely abhorrent, but he did feel like he was trying to do something good, for humanity.

Then again he was eventually indoctrinated by the Reapers, so... /shrugs.

Another one would be Arthas. He genuinely wanted to save his kingdom, the Kingdom of Lordaeron. He strove to find Frostmourne, which inevitably, along with Ner'zhul, corrupted him into becoming the Lich King.

And how could anyone forget GLaDOS? She was doing it all... for Science! You monster.

Hmmm... good villains... or antagonists...

Part of me really wants to chip in something from Mass Effect, so why don't we throw the Illusive Man in there? His methods were absolutely abhorrent, but he did feel like he was trying to do something good, for humanity.

Then again he was eventually indoctrinated by the Reapers, so... /shrugs.

Another one would be Arthas. He genuinely wanted to save his kingdom, the Kingdom of Lordaeron. He strove to find Frostmourne, which inevitably, along with Ner'zhul, corrupted him into becoming the Lich King.

And how could anyone forget GLaDOS? She was doing it all... for Science! You monster.

An Illusive Man type villain could work as a corporate leader. Most of the series he was always calm and collected, rarely even raising his voice. Would make a nice contrast from the swear-heavy and angry punks you'll deal with most of the games.

Bonus points if he even could be as grey as in ME2. Obviously ruthless, but making some kind of twisted sense. Perhaps he and V can work together for a while, or could gain some grudging respect for eachother. Basically, having an opponent clearly different from the gangers, cutthroats and snakes you'll deal with most of the game, but no less dangerous.

An Illusive Man type villain could work as a corporate leader. Most of the series he was always calm and collected, rarely even raising his voice. Would make a nice contrast from the swear-heavy and angry punks you'll deal with most of the games.

Bonus points if he even could be as grey as in ME2. Obviously ruthless, but making some kind of twisted sense. Perhaps he and V can work together for a while, or could gain some grudging respect for eachother. Basically, having an opponent clearly different from the gangers, cutthroats and snakes you'll deal with most of the game, but no less dangerous.
If they included an Illusive Man-type villain, my Mass Effect heart would be pleased.
I agree with you, he's the kind of guy to fit into this kind of world.

good , better , best but griffith is the ultimate villain. well if someone fight with you like brother in arms for a decade and so and became best friend and then he/she sacrifice you and your brother in arms and any one his/hers way for power is a ultimate villain. in first mafia game and in gta san andreas ( in that we can see that is coming) same thing happened. that kind of villain is not comic relief with maniacal laugh but serious and true dangerous one.

Attachments

• Griffith_Pre-Eclipse_Manga.jpg
    Griffith_Pre-Eclipse_Manga.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 116
The best antagonist/villain is the one that if you stop to listen to them, you start to question if maybe they have a point, but just going about it in the absolute most awful way.

Last edited:
Scott Shelby from Heavy Rain. It's not the kind of villain you would see in an RPG, unless V turns out to be the villain.

If we're looking at movies, why not a villain like this guy?

225px-Hans_Landa_IB_2009.jpg

Erudite, affable, silver tongued, absolutely ruthless and totally opportunistic.

What your talking about is a mirror to the hero the best example to a villian for the hero would be Gul Dukat to Sisko from DS9, Joker to Batman, Frau Engel to Blazkowicz in wolfenstien. So the question is can CD give us a unique villian that can go down as one of the greatest in pop culture. With enough time an refinement it's possable.

LOLs Villians LOL you dont get cyberpunk! .. there are no Villians there are no real heros its more true too real life ! IT IS ALL ONE BIG GREY AREA .. who the Bad guy is will be a matter of your perspective.

Last edited:
Games have been very focused on one main antagonist I'm hoping it can change in this game, as to be somewhat different giving a possibility of more varied Villians that could appear after you have defeated others

Tbh, you don’t necessarily need a villain to make a good piece of media. You just need people in opposite camp. For example, there’s no villain in the wire. The main character is the city, just like cyberpunk 2077 tbh (from the way v talks about it in the trailer). You have people like Stringer Bell, Avon Barksdale, etc... They are not mastermind villains. They are just people on the opposite side of police

It's not just villains.
It's a matter of overall design, theme, and gameplay.

The Tomb Raider series is an excellent example.

You start with an excellent exploration puzzle solving game and become a simple shooter/platformer.
WHY publishers can't seem understand that making a game a shooter isn't a recipe for success I can't understand when time and time again we see exactly the opposite happen.
Eventually the series returns more to it's roots (more-or-less).

WHY publishers can't seem understand that making a game a shooter isn't a recipe for success I can't understand when time and time again we see exactly the opposite happen.

For Tomb Raider, it was all about capitalizing on the franchise as much as possible. It's clear they tried to appeal to the widest audience possible, and that inherently means using the most familiar and popular mechanics. I never liked the original Tomb Raider games much -- just not my thing. I do, however, appreciate the achievements and can support the argument that they lost a lot of their mojo as time went on.

On the other side of the coin, there's nothing wrong with shooters. Sure, there are a thousand-thousand, half-baked CoD or Doom clones out there...but there were also gems like the original Halo series, Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, Half-Life, FarCry, ArmA, FEAR, the STALKER series, Bioshock, etc. that used shooter mechanics to create absolutely amazing experiences.

To be 100% honest, I'm not really all that wound up in the combat elements of the game. It looks more than serviceable. I'm looking forward to the other parts of the game. CDPR has certainly made a habit out of creating games with insane levels of depth.

On the other side of the coin, there's nothing wrong with shooters. Sure, there are a thousand-thousand, half-baked CoD or Doom clones out there...but there were also gems like the original Halo series, Dark Forces and Jedi Knight, Half-Life, FarCry, ArmA, FEAR, the STALKER series, Bioshock, etc. that used shooter mechanics to create absolutely amazing experiences.
I have no problem what-so-ever with shooters.
I just don't think every game that involves combat needs to be one.

Top Bottom