A grittier and darker world, story, and characters?

+

What type of tone/theme are you looking for?

• Arcadey, colorful, sunny city. Cool and retro! Still a little mature.

• Darker, gritty, edgy(?), intense. Personal and narrative driven while retaining the rich open world

• Don't care about story and involvement. Bad*ss with a cool car against a bad guy.

• Fun and sandbox. Give me something like gta or watchdogs 2, in that futuristic setting.

• Don't care much for the open world, about that cinematic story like a Detroit become human game.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Right...Too bad it's bad luck to use Saint William's name.

Guys, CP2077 is set in northern California not some post nuclear apocalypse wasteland.

YES, there have been ecological disasters but there are still productive farms nearby, fisheries, and all the other stuff needed to feed the population of a major city. If the city was in a barren wasteland everyone would have long since died of starvation.

In the Character Creation screen in the gameplay demo, there was a section that was called "Why Night City?". I'm guessing that the three options (could be?) are 3 different stories and you can choose which story you want. For example, in "Unfinished Business", you have to track somebody down for revenge or something, I don't know. I know that is some wild speculation, but it kinda makes some sense IMO.

I couldn`t vote for any of the options . I would like it like the demo colourful ( not sorry about the spelling this is how we spell it where i come from ) during the day but i want it darker / gritty at night . I would like it colourful in the Corpo area and darker / gritty in the more dangerous areas .

• Darker, gritty, edgy(?), intense. Personal and narrative driven while retaining the rich open world
  • Fun and sandbox. Give me something like gta or watchdogs 2, in that futuristic setting.
Mix of both of those but voted for fun/sandbox.

I personally like this idea The Witcher 3 has and a few other games before it; it is a story-driven open world game. This is also what I'm personally expecting from CP2077. Open world games do not always need to have the sandbox element in them.

Thus I gave my vote to the second option on the poll.

I like everything you've said.

Me personally, I want that long awaited sci-fi game in a dark futuristic dystopian world, a genre and style of game that just seems to have been largely ignored over the last 2 decades.

I find it very strange that such a popularly liked type of game has never been made in recent years despite the large market for it.

But here we are, finally getting it, and I think it's just the right time in history for a game like this, so I'm super excited!

Here is my two cents on the topic: Insofar as the genre, as a whole, attempts have been made to create such a game (Deus Ex, Shadowrun, and numerous others who have used elements of the genre to, admittedly, varying degrees of success). If one is referring to the Cyberpunk franchise (The R.T.G property), a lot of that has to do with Mike Pondsmith himself. He has said in an interview, that overtures were made over the years to build a computer game based off of the pnp, but for whatever reason, things just didn't mesh until he met up with the folks at CDPR. (In response to Mohawkglow post).

I find it very strange that such a popularly liked type of game has never been made in recent years despite the large market for it.

There are plenty Cyberpunk games out there (Deus Ex, Fear Effect, etc...)
But a "Cyberpunk" game (in the "meaning" on the word, not just a random game with some cyberware and tall shinny buildings in it) requires a lot of knowledge of the universe and needs to be made with taste, just by that, I guess that's why Mike pushed off a lots of offer to adapt Cyberpunk 2020, they probably wanted to make a braindead shooter.

Also, a Cyberpunk RPG is wayyyyy more complicated to create than a medieval one (and even on Pnp, preparing a session require a lot more work, lot more details etc... to put in it), I guess we just "step" into the tech possibilities that may let us create a realistic Cyberpunk universe, you need a lots of social layers, a "street" feeling, etc...
That requires a lot of tools (even naratively) to develop it, and make it faithfull to the genre, it needs a lot of depth, and we still have to see if Cyberpunk 2077 has it.

It sure looks beautiful, etc... But how deep will we be able to go?
Will we be immersed in a futuristic setting, lifelike, stumbling over people with everyday problem we may try to help?
Or will it be a BIG shinny world, filled with "OMG the raiders stole my cyberware, go kill them at X place, thanks V!" (looking at you Fallout 4...), I guess it won't be that, but that why it's so difficult to flesh out a cyberpunk RPG, you need to put so much layers to flesh it out, it's a very difficult universe to adapt (even more when you're not used to it).

Voted the second option.

I would’ve liked the story to be less guided and scripted than what it seems to be, and more about a newcomer (to the city) finding his/her way (towards a predetermined goal) freely and by his/her own faculties and actions rather than through writer determined strict drama. Where the story is what and how the player finds it.

Top Bottom