A grittier and darker world, story, and characters?

+

What type of tone/theme are you looking for?

• Arcadey, colorful, sunny city. Cool and retro! Still a little mature.

• Darker, gritty, edgy(?), intense. Personal and narrative driven while retaining the rich open world

• Don't care about story and involvement. Bad*ss with a cool car against a bad guy.

• Fun and sandbox. Give me something like gta or watchdogs 2, in that futuristic setting.

• Don't care much for the open world, about that cinematic story like a Detroit become human game.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I want this game to be special. I'd want a stylish, tone-set, mature game. GTA and Watchdogs 2 is mature, but I'm aiming for something realer as shown in the first teaser trailer (please don't be like gta). I don't want the same old bad*ss with guns and a fancy car driving around doing things a bad*ss with a gun would. I'd want a deep personal story, one that leaves you cold, it's intense, like the first teaser. You know, like a person who gets too invested in these cyber enhancements that he loses himself and goes crazy, in the end has a completely different body, becomes violent (I wouldn't want that to be the only main character, gotta lighten it up and make it more interesting than just that). A bright, sunny, colorful city is cool but I also want that gritty, kind of edgy, dark feeling just as much, maybe even more prominently. The player could become attatched more and more to the character as the character progresses through monumental changes, and in the end, the story is a roller-coaster with just as much heart and stone cold emotion as it had exhileration and action. Maybe in the end, when the character is done levelling up and gaining all the enhancements to defeat the big enemies, he/she could come to a realization and look back at what they have done and how they have changed. And how everything around them did, including the other characters, and how that is both beautiful, detremental, and depressing (not those exact descriptors, but you get the idea). It puts the player directly against the main mission of an rpg, contradicting the formula most of them use, making them question other games, and that could be really beautiful. That imo could be a really powerful story in gaming. One that not only challenges the character in the game, but also the player, and everything they knew about typical story narratives from before. Less ready player one (in fact nothing like player one), and more... Blade runner maybe? Well, I can't really compare to anything, because the idea in my head that I'm trying to describe is wholly unique, interesting, and cool, at least for me. And I'm going to take a bold move here and say I don't want the story to be like the witcher, it worked there, this is a completely different game and universe, it needs something special. My idea is a little different than what was shown in the e3 trailer (as you can probably see I had mixed feelings). I had different feelings and emotions during the hacking scene, for example, than when the trailer ended. You have a while to go before it is done, I trust you guys. Don't be afraid to change a lot of the game. PS, posted this as a reply in another thread, seemed to kind of relate.

Also, I realize that what I said may be cool but not everything the devs want to do as well. So you could also do more than one main character. Imagine, 2 customizable characters, each integrating and layering into the main storyline/tone of a story I said before, each in their own incredibly complex surroundings, with their own homes and cars and personalities, feelings, motivations, endings, that ultimately fuel the main theme I was trying to describe before. One a little dark and gritty, one a little less, I don't know kinda hard to describe. Just some ideas, I don't know if you hire writers and "screenwriters" to envision the world and the narratives but I'm here.

Also, I realize I'm probably pitching a totally different game than what you the devs may have right now. I can always hope.

Guys, it will be multiple things. In the daytime it's what you saw, in the night time it's Blade Runnerish, at least that's wht I understood from watching hours of commentary on the demo.

And there's also weather.

So it will be multiple things.
Yep. Also, dark and gritty suits CDPR.

Why can't people understad that Blade Runner is not cyberpunk, and Cyberpunk 2077 is based on Cyberpunk 2020 which is, well, exactly like the trailer shows, only in the 80s :)

Our problem is that there are way way way too few games out there with this Blade Runner setting (which is excellent, ever since '82). Especially since Prey 2 got cancelled.

The hunger is real. :)

I want the dark, gritty vibe but I also think that the current direction is exactly that. The sunny trailer is just CDPR demonstrating that it can still be those things without the crutches of cyberpunk genre tropes.

Wow, I really had to think about my answer to be honest but in the end I never thought the result what look like that as I voted. XD

I like the retro charme, I also like the daylight and I don't mind a bit of attitude but I don't want to experience a Saints Row Cyberpunk game.. actually I already did but I don't want it again (I don't say no to another Saints Row though). This should be unique and similar to what I would expect from CD Projekt. While on first glance the world might seem stereotypical from time to time, I definitely want to see a mature world, not just corporates who are all evil like in the description for Strout.

Why can't people understad that Blade Runner is not cyberpunk, and Cyberpunk 2077 is based on Cyberpunk 2020 which is, well, exactly like the trailer shows, only in the 80s :)

Movies, games and books capture different aspects of the genre. Blade Runner is heavy on cyberpunk in many respects, and the same is true for something like Deus Ex. However, we can't define these titles as strictly Cyberpunk, because they're more than just that. Cyberpunk is also more than Cyber and Punk. It's atmosphere, ambience and tone as well.

The difference is that the game Cyberpunkt 2077 will emphazise more of the punk aspect of Cyberpunk. It might be more Cyberpunk than anything else we've seen before, but that doesn't mean that something like Blade Runner isn't also Cyberpunk to a significant degree.

gameplay demo was much more "darker" and "grittier" than trailer so there is no reason to worry.

I wouldn't worry about that, Cyberpunk 2020 was gritty enought, no reason they'd go on a different path.

We have gangs, braindance, body part scavengers, having your eye popped out as you replace it, I guess you can expect some nice stuff like that.

I want the sky above the city to be the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

People need to undestand that while CP2077 will probably be a an awesome game it's not an "end all be all" of video games or cyberpunk video games.
The sooner they get it the better it'll be, for them and the people making it.

I'd like it to be visually appealing and colourful, not drab colours. I know that you can use drab colours to set the tone of some works but it doesn't necessarily imply maturity or has to be the be all end all of dystopia. I'm not sure where I read or heard someone call GITS not a dystopia but a heterotopia and... I thought that was one hell of an appropiate term for cyberpunk as a whole. It's like our world. There's good and bad. New technology means new solutions but also new problems and some old problems being carried over.

One of the darkest moments of GITS SAC, in the episode titled Jungle Cruise, had Batou remember the streets of a settlement in the jungle full of corpses and dying people, some of them children, mutilated in a sick way, blood everywhere... and it was a sunny day and there were beautiful butterflies everywhere... that made it all the more horrifying.

I know that in Cyberpunk also the environment can have gone to shit, but it's not like the myth of the wasteland, where nature reacts to a bad ruler or the errors of mankind. It doesn't matter what the human reaction is to the horrors that may have happened that day, the sun can rise and shine beautifully on the puddles of blood, the jungles and forests can be green and flowering... it doesn't care.

Look at the world around you. Life can be pretty shit sometimes. Especially for some. And there's a lot of colour and beauty out there too.

The cyberpunk future also has to be alluring, tempting and attractive. People looking for a fun time need all that stimulating set dressing.

Top Bottom