A hottake on why the "You are V" immersion statement doesn't work.

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
CDPR have said many times one of the reasons they decided to go first person was to put you in the shoes of V. You are V. This sounds great and all, except it doesn't make sense and it doesn't work. Why?

Easy. V has a personality of her/his own. V is a young person rebelling against the system (their words). In the gameplay demos we've seen, V swears. V talks back. V has an attitude. its implied V is a heavy drinker and maybe even a smoker from the demos. V sleeps around (yes this is optional). In the CGI trailer at e3, V hoots and hollers and flips people off.

This is not us. We are not V. V is V. V has a personality of her/his own. They act different than we ever would, even in a cyberpunk setting. Even some of the dialogue choices we get are not word-for-word, which totally works against the whole "the player is V" immersion aspect. This "the protagonist is you" first person immersion argument would honestly work for deus ex's adam jansen or commander sheppard from mass effect because they don't have much of a personalty. They're mellow and calm, a silent warrior type character and the player could naturally be in their shoes. From what I've seen, V is NOTHING like that and has attitude and spunk and all that.

The only way I could see this "you are V" argument working is if V was a silent protagonist, which lets face it, that will never happen because you can't make a big AAA story driven game anymore with a silent protagonist. For what's it worth, I absolutely love female V's voice actress; she is AMAZING.

I would like for CDPR to make a rebuttal here. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Sild

Ex-moderator
Closed, as per the statement here.

If you wish to discuss the latest developments regarding perspective in cutscenes, you can do so here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom