A kind of bittersweet yet positive look at the romance additions

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
A kind of bittersweet yet positive look at the romance additions

Now that the patch 1.10 is finally out and the « Triss fix » has finally happened, I’d like to give my opinion about the changes that occurred but I’d also want to put some things back in their original context.

It’s no news that there is a massive fight going on for a few months now about Triss and Yen and all that stuff. I believe it started, partially at least, in the thread I made back then. What saddens me is that the point of this thread was absolutely not that start this fight. But first things first.

First of all, my point is not that start another war, to make more people angry or to blame one side or the other. Not at all. So please, keep this in mind. My point is to thanks CDProjekt for the changes they made and to make people remember what it was all about. In short, am I happy with the « Triss fix » ? Yes. Could it have been better ? Yes. Could it realistically been better ? Maybe not. I can’t answer this and probably no one can besides the REDs themselves. Now, I’ll give some explanation but it might be wise to start by reading the OP of this thread.

To sum things up, here’s a quick reminder of what was asked :
I, and many others, felt that there was an inconsistency in the way the Triss romance was done. But this is not only about Triss. Why ? Because the very core of the problem lies within the fact that we had a romance choice that had minimum consequences if we decided to choose one of the possible options. This option being Triss. It was like the world around us never really acknowledged the fact that we choose her. Moreover, once the choice was done, we could barely talk to her. However, it was not asked to make Triss more important than Yen, or to push Yen aside. In fact, it was asked to add some stuff to Yen too. It was asked to make the choice we do as a romance matter, no matter what choice we made. And as I already said, I, for one, loves Yen at least as much as I love Triss. What we asked was not about making one person more important than the other, or to erase what was done in the books (but that's another problem I'll talk about later), it was to make our choice have consequences. And to make it even more clear, let me add the answer we got from the REDs :
GingerEffect said:
Since Marcin has updated you a little, I'd like to add a bit to that, since apparently some people seem to believe this particular issue is getting preferential treatment.

Here is the thing. The major thing. I know it's gonna be a shock to some but...we are not perfect. (LEGASP!!!!!)

The biggest issue that we as a team identified with the Triss situation is that the current implementation does not really represent the very core design philosophy we hold dear. Namely, that your choices carry consequences and those consequences WILL present themselves to you.

As it has been stated in the opening thread, the consequences of choosing Triss are not adequately represented. This was something that was brought to our attention by this thread. We went back and looked at it again and realized that yes, this is indeed an inconsistency and one that deserves our attention. So we sat down, took our notes from your suggestions and checked what is viable to do. The result of that is what you will eventually see.

To the people who are somehow annoyed that we will correct the inconsistent consequences that are currently present in the Triss romance I say this: Please understand that this is not a case of us changing something simply because fans want it. This is because fans alerted us to something which we, internally, discussed (hence the long silence in between replies) and eventually agreed that it did not fit our core philosophy of including consequences to the choices the player can make.

In any case, I hope this clears things up a bit and puts a rest to the infighting about which issue deserves what kind of attention.

And I hope this can clear things up a bit about what was asked and what the REDs meant to do.

Now comes another point that is also important because that is something that came back a lot lately. The games are non-canon. It was stated by Sapkowski himself. Of course, it is very close to what the original witcher saga is and CDProjekt made what most people consider being a follow-up to the books. But given what the creator of the witcher itself said, you can’t possibly blame CDProjekt to add something that is non-canon to the books. I choose to consider the games a follow-up as well, but that’s up to everyone to decide how they want to consider them. Why I am saying this ? Because there was a lot of comment about Triss not being the one she should be given what happens in the books and about the lines between her and Geralt not fitting either. My personal point of view is that the lines between them fit pretty well. Geralt might be a badass monster hunter, he’s stupid and cheesy when it comes to love. Even with Yen he often says things a bit ridiculous. That’s also what is funny about him. The other issue showing up often is the "fact" that Yen should be the love of Geralt. In the books, yes. No discussion about it. In the game, there's a choice between her and Triss. That's CDProjekt choice and I believe it should be respected. Anyway, the thing is I don’t think there’s any need to fight over the fact that the changes are or are not canon to the books because the answer is already there and goes far beyond some dialogs between a couple of characters.

I said all this because I don’t mean to argue about the fact that what REDs did is a valid addition to the whole of the witcher saga. What I want to do, however, is to explain why I am overall satisfied with what was added.

First, the new dialogs between Geralt and Triss/Yen. It’s overall very much welcome. At least, we can now interact with both of them when we have a chance to and we get to talk with them before important events occurring in the second part of the game. No more “well ?” coming from your lover, that’s a relief ! In my opinion, the added lines were nice. Maybe not perfect, but definitely pleasant and even funny at some point. In short, Triss doesn’t look like a total stranger to us anymore if we choose her, and Yen gets a couple new lines too. In the end, you also get some kind of closure with the woman you did not chose, which is a small but important thing too. Basically, these additions are one of the things that was asked and REDs did it well.

Then comes the dialogs between Geralt and Ciri. Those are important, maybe even more than the ones between Geralt and the woman he chose. Why ? Because it somewhat resolve the fact that no one around us seemed to be aware of our romance choice. And that is very much what CDProjekt wanted to resolve in the first place. In an ideal world, it could have been nice to see more NPCs talk about it. I’m thinking of Cerys when, at some point, she talks about the romance between Yen and Geralt, or Philippa, or Dandelion,… We only get Ciri. I believe part of this choice comes from resources restriction. I mean, each NPC would not only mean some new lines but also some new recordings for a huge amount of voice-over. Ciri was not only a realistic choice but also a logical one. After all, Wild hunt is centered on the Geralt/Ciri relationship. So it makes perfect sense for her to be the one to acknowledge the choice of Geralt and to talk about it. This is why I’m happy with the sequences added between them. I would have loved more, a lot more with a lot of other NPCs, but it doesn’t change the fact that I feel satisfied. It’s also important not to forget the fact that CDProjekt had to work on the expansion but also had to resolve a big amount of issues they probably did not plan at first. So maybe if the game released without any bugs and no patches were needed we could have got more. But given what happened, I’m satisfied with what we got.

Another thing that, I think, made some people a bit angry is the reveal of the romance scene between Geralt and Shani a couple of days ago. Long story short: I believe that is exactly the kind of “sex scene” people would have wanted for Triss and/or Yen. By that I mean it’s not just a couple of quick sequence that let us barely see anything. It’s more visual, more intimate, yet not perverse in a bad way. I want to believe that the REDs took into account what was said back when the game was released and made this scene with those critics in mind. Of course, It would have been really cool to see the existing romance/sex scenes enhanced in a similar way, and I can’t say that I did not feel any bitterness watching the Shani/Geralt stuff, but I want to take this in a positive way and think that CDProjekt listened to what was said when they worked on the expansion. (I could talk about the proposition to add Triss and Yen to the expansion, but I believe that for HoS this debate is pointless. The story was more than likely already written when Wild Hunt was released and integrate both girls in a decent way would have required way to much changes. We’ll see, however, for Blood and Wine how things go.)

So, I wanted to thanks CDProjekt for the changes they made. It’s simple as that. I’m bleak about how things went sour and how the forums became, at some point, a warzone between Triss and Yen fans. I hope this can help people understand what the changes were about and, maybe, open a positive debate about it.

And well, in the meantime, let us all enjoy Hearts of Stone. :cheers3:

@GingerEffect @REDDorigen (adding you here since you participated actively in the previous thread =) ).

Last edited:
Finally, a thank thread :p

I am not good at thank word. So i just simple write even though the fix is so little, but it still fix Triss's romance for me and it will definetely improve my experience with the game in next NG+ playthough. So for short, i am satisfied with the fix, thank you CDPR

For one people yelling at you, there are hundreds who love you remember!

@[size=+1][color=red]Marcin Momot[/size][/color]
^You forgot him shaedhen :popo:

Last edited:
Yeah personally for me the games are their own canon. That doesn't stop the book canon from existing but that doesn't mean the games can't progress the characters as they see fit and they certainly shouldn't be beholden them to other individuals interpretations of material in the books. Personally i think the new material fits the characters where they are in TW3.

While i would have liked more the patch has added the badly missing reactivity as well as filling some of the void later in the game in regards of Triss choice. No more will there be a sense that everyone is unaware of Geralt's personal choice. It also adds a sense of closure for the non chosen women imo which was only present in the threesome ending previously. So for me it'll improve the game experience very much and I'm very thankful to CD Red for these additions & i'm very much looking forward to playing Hearts of stone.

I've voted for more Triss in the game - it could be better of course but it seems almost all Triss fans are happy with the new dialogues and the scene in the tent and that's all that matters.
:cheers2:

I really hope we will meet both ladies in the Blood and Wine expansion again...

I also voted to add more romance/Triss/Yen content, but they not handled this well, to me looked like they just pushed the ok button to fanservice.

Next time, if they improve other relationship problems as well (like Yen/Ciri interactions) and choose better lines ("before, always" was way too forced, for example), especially after complaints about a romance (what obviously would start a conflict between fanbases and questions about the characters importance), ones that will not conflict the books itself or that are not too much "the other choice was bad" or "she is a bitch", they will be in a better position with all players and fans, trust me.

I say this 'cause Yennefer even says that the "one minute" is not necessary to not hurt Triss feelings (at least is that how i see this scene), she says that Triss is a dear friend to her twice, but everything that Triss says about Yennefer is in a annoying way, like "i'm not Yennefer or i did not sunk that low" or "she will not take this very well or will pretend that she is handling it". Perhaps this is not a dialogue fault, in some way this can state that Yen is a better person than Triss or that Triss is not that soft, nice and friendly (or is someone who only cares about her, is selfish or something like that), and this can be just a indication of how bitter some players are with Yennefer or how biased the opinions from some fans are about Triss, but this is the major impression that the game (and CDPR by default) gives us.

We all know that TW games are non canon, but they are based on the books and are quite famous because tried, somehow, to respect the saga. The games own a lot to the books, i think that this is obvious. The content and history is so good mainly 'cause they had something very good to start with. And about choices having consequences, there is a lot of threads on the forum that show CDPR did a better job than most of the companies out there, but not as perfect as a lot of people say. Didn't play HoS, so cannot speak about it (but is a DLC anyway).

Overall, TW3 is a great game, few ones made me play more than 100 hours, even fewer ocidental RPG's, even fewer open world ones, and the respect to the gamers is there. But TW3 is not as perfect as some try too hard to state and CDPR is not as pro community as a lot of people say, the problem is that fewer (or none) companies do the same. Address problems, answer threads and effectively listen to BOTH [and all] fan bases (consumers) = this would be truly community management. They did this with Shani fans, who are the minority of minorities, they could do it with Yennefer fans (would hurt someone if they add dialogue between Ciri/Geralt or Yen/Ciri about Yen in a motherly way?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom