A List of Technical Issues I've Exprerienced with this Game (TW3)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got this game after it was on sale, I've always wanted it and I was jumping for joy that I finally got the chance to do so, ever since I started playing, however, I've had a never-ending stream of graphical problems and glitches, I'll be listing all of them here, major, minor, middling, organised into categories as I see fit.

Specs:
Processing Unit: Core i7-8700 @3.2 GHz base clock, 4.6 GHz factory OC
CPU Cooler: Standard Alienware Aurora AIO
GPU: Blower Nvidia GEFORCE GTX 1070 in a x8 gen 3 PCIE slot @ ~1550 MHz clock speed, reaches 1.9- 2GHz with OC | 8GB GDDR4 Dedicated memory, I think the frequency is around 4 GHz, that’s what it says on MSI Afterburner, I think there’s a formula to calculating it but IDK
RAM: 2x8GB Dual Channel DDR4 Memory @2666 MHz
PSU: Standard Dell Alienware 460w Power Supply
Storage: 128GB M.2 SSD + 2TB HDD 7.2K RPM
Soundcard, Wi-Fi Card, and Bluetooth card: Not really sure, don’t really think they’re relevant

Problems:

Rendering and Lighting:

-Shadows are extremely dark (even at blindingly high gamma, at normal gamma, they are practically solid black)
-shadows sometimes act weirdly: shadows coming from distant objects are blob-like and flicker, shadows that are far away look very bad (mostly fixed by tweaking .ini settings, namely the cascade shadow scale settings) this problem seems to be called dithering?
-shadows are a solid colour, no gradient or shading as I've seen in screenshots of the game
-shadows are blocky, and stutter when they move (fixed with the .ini tweaks mentioned above)
-shadows act weirdly with Geralt's non-hairworked hair

-lighting changes abruptly upon entering and exiting areas with different lighting, and sometimes during cutscenes (I think this started happening after I performed a clean install of my drivers)

-the infamous shimmering effect, although I seem to experience a more prominent effect than others (improved through a combination of .ini tweaks, resolution changing and various Nvidia control panel tweaking)

Models, Animation, and Textures:
-clipping of dwarves' beards into their necks, and sideburns into their temples, a good example of this is Zoltan
-clipping of hands through arms when they are folded (happens randomly to random NPCs)
-clipping of Dandelion's scarf
-clipping of small sections of the body through clothes, pretty noticeable on Rosa Var Attre
-clipping of Geralt's hair through his armor (less noticeable with hairworks for some reason
-Geralt's hair appears fuzzy or blurry around the edges in some scenes. only happens when non-hairworked, might be a DOF problem
-during the Wolven Storm cutscene (Priscilla's Song) her lute clipped with her thigh a bit, saw a video on youtube afterwards, and there was no such clipping

-NPC animations sometimes start and stop randomly and abruptly,and are generally very stuttery (maybe a problem with the timing between the ending of one animation and the beginning of another) this also happens a lot to background NPCs during cutscenes, as well as Geralt and whoever he's talking to/with

-skin textures on some random NPCs are stretched (mostly dwarves)

Physics:
Disclaimer: I have tried capping my FPS using V-sync and framerate cap, as well as the V-sync setting in the Nvidia Control Panel, so far the problems still present are the hair problems
-objects on characters flutter randomly and look very weird, I think this is intentional, but not to this degree
-Geralt's hair sometimes does this "bouncing" effect whenever the camera switches to him in a cutscene, as if it has just spawned in and fell, this also happens in the inventory to his preview model after I equip or drop something, this also sometimes happens to NPCs that have long hair, like Priscilla
-sometimes, albeit rarely, random clutter in a scene will behave weirdly in cutscenes, like for example a jug on a table tipping over when the person seated at said table moves

Miscellaneous:
-after ending a conversation with an NPC, said character often spawns slightly in front of where they are usually situated, and then walk back to said location and assume their animation, often abruptly
-whenever I end a conversation with the innkeep at the Seven Cats inn, Geralt spawns in the middle of the tavern rather than in front of the lady where I began the conversation
-After stopping for whatever reason, Roach doesn't respond to any movement commands for about a second and then abruptly starts walking, in general, movement with Roach is quite hard and I'm not a fan of how he controls, same with Geralt, but to a lesser degree
-enemy AI is very clunky and often causes the enemy to run into obstacles while fighting, drowners seem to be te worst

Did you play the game with mods, or just the vanilla version?
Overclocking can also cause various problems.

It's best to disable overlay features of background applications, like Steam, Fraps and so on. In general, I would close every non-essential background application, as some programs can interfere with the performance.

Other than that, I'd strongly recommend rolling back to some older GPU driver version. During the past few years, NVIDIA updates sometimes caused problems for TW3. Nvidia v385, v390 or maybe v395 might result in a better performance.

CDPR support can be reached here for example, by clicking on "Contact us" (it's the official support website):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom