A little too many familiar faces and voices in the world?

+
Just not enough time to make everything 1000% perfect, but maybe they could make an update idn. I havent had an issue with it..... Whats next too many of the same bushes and trees lol?

Last edited:
I only mind when two people who look exactly the same are standing next to each other (happened once so far). At least we don't have guards like in Skyrim.

It's incredible as it as that CDPR managed to make such an amazing game with a rather small budget compared to other big games like GTA

Last edited:
You guys who're laughing at the requests for individuality... did you just skim past the bits where people were suggesting randomising only the appearances? I think the vast majority already know it would be ridiculously costly and logistically nightmarish to implement unique voices, but face randomisation has been the norm for player characters in RPGs for years now, so why not apply the same or similar for NPC generation, within certain parameters such as gender / race and so on?

Mostly didn't bother me. The one jarring moment was when you first go to Novigrad and observe the "witch" burning (at least I think this is the cut-scene.) There's like four of the same character model present. Two in the very foreground! It's all about resource allocation and CDPR allocated appropriately to tell a tight and interesting story. I can live with minor things like model reuse and utilizing the same VO for multiple NPC's in lieu of good storytelling.

I believe they used 140 different voice actors for The Witcher 3, mostly all of them did multiple voices. So there's alot of NPC's in the world, to have each and everyone having their own voice actor and voice would take alot of time to create. And to create a unique face and NPC which will be the only NPC in the world which doesn't look like any other NPC will also take ALOT of time. And honestly to render in NPC's who doesn't look nor talk/sound the same into the world with be too much for the game I'd guess.

Yes, it can be annoying... especially a bit more relevant characters should look more unique.

I don't mind a few repetitions but it's a bit too much and can be disorienting at times.

The word count in the Witcher 3 is around 450,000 words, 950 speaking roles (npc?), taking more than two and a half years to record. The voice recording began at the end of 2012 and was finished earlier this year. Side.com handled the voice casting and recording for The Witcher 3, under lead voice director Kate Saxon.

Why can't the npc faces/appearances be randomized ? DA:I character creation can be randomized, the Sims, and a lot of other games too, can just using the same model but with different preset like head, jaw, hair, hair color, nose, mouth, eyebrow, etc.

And to create a unique face and NPC which will be the only NPC in the world which doesn't look like any other NPC will also take ALOT of time.

Do people routinely not read previous posts here? It's already been said that a simple randomisation carried out in software, not unlike that found in character generators in most RPGs would easily suffice. They wouldn't have to be individually "sculpted". Granted, there would be at least some level of performance hit as a result of the game having to render so many unique elements, but I'm sure that could be scalable, like any other graphical property.

I know it is distracting, but CDPR don't have unlimited money, time and other resources to have all unique NPCs with all unique voices.

It's nice to want things, but don't expect any changes.

True but they shouldn't have over promised then....They said this was one thing we wouldn't have to worry about, to many of the same faces, voices etc......It really ruins immersion for me...

Hmmm, hopefully modders will step in and create more face variations to the game when redkit is released.

Ideal of course would be that CD Project could improve the game in their enhanced edition with the same kind of treatment they gave to witcher 1 at the time.
I mean the way they managed to stretch Aurora Engine even further back then was very impressive indeed.

SO if these kinds of improvments and work below could be made to third installment also, I would be very happy indeed.

Yeah... I've been playing nothing but The Witcher 3 for 2 months now ever since it's release date and you start to notice things. Most of the faces look the same with men and women. Blacksmiths and random NPC's. There might be some changes in the NPC's face but it's really small. One will have the same face and the other will have the same face only this time he'll have a different hair cut or a beard. Witch hunters too. I was hoping for more variety in the NPC faces.

Last edited:
Kinda agree, but it's not super critical for me. I fully understand why it was limited... not saying I totally agree or like it, but I understand.
Yes, kinda weird my first and only playthrough seeing a NPC get killed in Velen, then seeing the same npc in Novigrad... I was like WTF.

But, I also recall a merchant in Velen you see everywhere as a merchant.... whom you first save from a bandit camp cage.
During the convo with him on the first visit after he was released, I recall him saying something like.... don't worry, we will be meeting again as he was a traveler.
Nice touch and explained away his being everywhere ;)

With the faces, I agree...some more variety could be good

VO are good as they are - atleast in the Polish version... far better than any open-world RPG game that I have ever played

I don't think people realize how much time and money and effort goes into making a game like this. Do you all believe that the devs just took a bunch of shortcuts because they are lazy?
There are no genies in real life that just poof things into existence. A video game, like everything else in existence, is made on a budget. There is a certain amount of money and other mediums of investment (i.e. manpower, time, etc.) available to create the thing. Therefore, priorities are made and things deemed lower priority (like having fourteen thousand different faces and voices) do not get the attention that higher priorities (like gameplay mechanics, story writing, overall world design) receive.

Just like when a writer writes a book, he/she doesn't explain all the minute details that are unimportant to the story. It would take too much time and adds nothing important. If you are seeing the same facial build too often and it is ruining "immersion" for you, that means you have been in front of the tv for too long. Go outside. You need sunlight and exercise.

This is a video game, people. It is not real life. Maybe some day our grandchildren will be able to be plugged into the matrix and live fully immersive fake lives, but that's not here yet. Honestly, every other thread on this forum is somebody complaining to these devs, who in my opinion are the best out there, about silly shit that any person who has ever done anything outside ought to know.

---------- Updated at 05:30 PM ----------

Furthermore, hiring a voice actor cost money. Probably lots of it, I imagine. How many people are going to sit down for a couple hours of voice overs for free? Even if the pay is minimal, filling the thousands of in game characters with separate voices and different faces (which have to be meticulously rendered) would blow the budget.
]You should be singing praise for all that the game does, not whining about how after a thousand hours of gameplay you noticed shortcuts and it ruined your experience.

I'll always defend the REDs on this because I'd rather have the unique, well defined faces reused than the generic NPCs you typically get in other RPGs. In fact I'd go as far to say the facial designs in this game are among the best in the industry. I particularly like the greater variety to female models now, many of whom are attractive but not conventionally so.

every peasant looks the same and every old lady looks like Anna Strenger...wouldn't mind recycled faces if there was at least variety

My biggest problem on that subject isn't necessarily with the faces but with the voices, or should I say Roche's voice or any important voice actors that also voice minor/insignificant characters, example, one of the guard at the entrance of Roche's hideout has, guess what, Roche's voice! Otherwise I don't really mind peasants with the same voice, I understand, but important voice actors also voicing insignificant characters is a bit of an immersion breaker, to say the least. ^^

Top Bottom