A long long long time ago...

+
A long long long time ago...

Way way back, in the late 80's while at college, I ran a regular weekly PnP Cyberpunk game for a group of friends. 6 or 7 of us sitting around in our living room, tearing up Night City and hacking our world one byte at a time. And we did it with this:
View attachment 714
Before 2020, there was "Black Box"!

Attachments

• cypnk_box.jpg
    cypnk_box.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 71
2013 also had Solo Of Fortune 1, Chrome 1, When Gravity Fails, and Near Orbit......

However, the 2013 didn't last long... less than 2 years before the rules and setting were updated to 2020... so there wasn't a a whole lot of time for people to get into it... and having the 2013 rules only available in the boxed set... particularly as skimpy as the whole thing was... was kind of an issue back then.

2020 was the first time the rules were available just as a book... as such it was less of an investment for people to get into the "new game" that was so radically different than anything being put out at the time.

2013 was quirky, but is dearly beloved by many, even if just for the history involved.

For nostalgia reasons? Or because you really like learning 4 (5?) separate damage rolls depending on range? Good art though.

pretty much for nostalgia reasons :)

Not to mention all of the Aldus Pagemaker sexyness of the actual manuals. Early computer-based publishing and typography was all MAC based and had rawness to it. I remember thinking how "high tech" the manuals looked to me when I cracked the cellophane on the black box!

Top Bottom