A message from Marcin Iwiński ― co-founder and Joint CEO of CD PROJEKT.

+

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
CDPR_Letter-for-Gamers_1080x1080_Global.png

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what this means, but it sounds like he's happy about it and believes it will be good for the company -- so, what's not to like.
All the best to Mr. Iwiński and the company as a whole. :beer:

He's basically stepping down from leading the company and opting for supervising the company and ensuring compliance instead.

All the best to him and CDPR of course.

It's bad for corporate governance having the CEO also run the Board. He might be in a situation where he's forced to choose one position or the other, either by the stock exchange, or by complaints from other shareholders.

I am not sure that this is a good idea. He is invested personally in the company, because he created it. If he steps down, maybe the new CEO will be tempted to accept an offer for the studio to be bought out (by Xbox, or Embracer, or Sony).

Mr Iwinski repeatedly said the studio is not for sale, but under new leadership, who knows?

I am not sure that this is a good idea. He is invested personally in the company, because he created it. If he steps down, maybe the new CEO will be tempted to accept an offer for the studio to be bought out (by Xbox, or Embracer, or Sony).

Mr Iwinski repeatedly said the studio is not for sale, but under new leadership, who knows?
Very much depends on their articles of association. The management board might not have the power to sell the company. Given how proud they are of their independence I can't imagine it is structured so that the next ceo has the power to sell it.

Who said he was going to be replaced? He was a **joint** CEO along with Adam Kiciński who is listed as President and CEO. I imagine they'll just have a single CEO, Adam Kiciński from here on out.

Maybe he just wants to semi-retire and enjoy life while he's still young enough to actually enjoy it. If I had the means to retire at 48 I would have jumped on it and spend most of my time traveling and fishing ... and of course playing computer games

I wish Marcin the best. I hope his words about starting to release CDPR games for Linux when Valve will make some cool console will become true (especially since there is one now ;) and since they are planning to use Unreal Engine for future games and UE has decent Linux support out of the box already).

Only game from the CDRP I played through before CP 2077 was the first Witcher. I tried the sequel and after couple of hours or so I realized fantasy isn't really my thing. I appreciate GOG for their effort to make old games available to new audiences without needed to worry about things not working due copy protections made by companies that at least some has ceased to exist, as well many game studios. I think their refund policy is really customer friendly too.

Then I haven't played much what's available because years ago I realized that I don't really play them anymore.

While there are other opinions and that's all right, for me CP 2077 (and few months before that the Outer Worlds) represents that medium is moving forward as a form of expression. While there are things that are easily measured, how engaged players are with feature this or that, CPDR demonstrated quality that if put in form a novel, it would be a good and relevant work in the cyberpunk genre (not that game isn't).

CP 2077 was a very bold project and while I regret that studio has backpedaled more or less from their original vision, I understand economics in that and that future of similar kind of efforts in digital spaces may not necessarily be games.

So, I salute someone I never knew and never will, for what he made possible. To new beginnings. :beer:

Last edited:
I wish Marcin the best. I hope his words about starting to release CDPR games for Linux when Valve will make some cool console will become true (especially since there is one now ;) and since they are planning to use Unreal Engine for future games and UE has decent Linux support out of the box already).

The inherent problem with Linux is it's low adoption rate which makes it hard to justify spending time and resources to make games work on it when there is essentially no rate of return on that investment of time and resources. Perhaps UE5 will fix that by cutting down on the time and resources needed but it's hard to justify supporting something that makes up only 1 - 3% of sales because it's hard to get your development costs back much less turn a profit.

Don't get me wrong Linux is a great OS and I've been using it for over 25 years but it's low adoption rate as a desktop OS has always been a problem.

The inherent problem with Linux is it's low adoption rate which makes it hard to justify spending time and resources to make games work on it when there is essentially no rate of return on that investment of time and resources. Perhaps UE5 will fix that by cutting down on the time and resources needed but it's hard to justify supporting something that makes up only 1 - 3% of sales because it's hard to get your development costs back much less turn a profit.

Don't get me wrong Linux is a great OS and I've been using it for over 25 years but it's low adoption rate as a desktop OS has always been a problem.
That's an outdated point about adoption rate, see above about what Marcin said. See also:

Million new units in that time period is a major adoption rate.

Top Bottom