A new mechanic I'd like to see [Round Dependent Ability]

+
A lot of decks run a "finisher" that is meant to be a big, swingy play in the last round. One of the reasons for this is that round 3 is the only round that players can be 100% sure of the duration; in the other rounds, big plays are usually met with a pass, rather than going into round 2/3 down on more than 1 card. So, the strategy is based around making a favorable duration on round 3 based on your deck and your opponent's deck.

What I would like to see is a mechanic that adds an extra tactical element to this. My idea is a set of 3 keywords (each on different cards) that change what a card does in one of the rounds. My initial idea is to have the cards boost themselves to a 1:1 ratio of provisions to power on their off rounds, and be more efficient on their main round. The idea is that damage/abilities are probably worth some number of standard provisions, possibly modified by their faction identity. For example, Cleaver's Muscle and Vandergrift show that Resilience is worth about a 3 provision difference. Or how damage costs more provisions than flat points.

Some examples (probably a bit unbalanced, but you get the idea):

Ambush = 1st round, Maneuver = 2nd round, Assault = 3rd round.

CARD A
2 power / 6 provisions
Deploy: Boost self by 4
Ambush: If this card is played in the first round, instead damage an enemy unit by 4.

CARD B
4 power / 6 provisions
Deploy: Boost self by 2.
Maneuver: If this card is played in the 2nd round, instead gain Resilience.

CARD C
3 power / 6 provisions
Deploy: Boost self by 3.
Assault: If this card is played in the 3rd round, instead give adjacent units a shield.

My thought behind this mechanic came from playing NG as an answer to the NR/SY dominance. These types of mechanics can help NG to still "control" the game while allowing room to lighten up on the kill/lock/destroy everything strategy that they currently have. The mechanics even fit thematically with NG's theme of battlefield tactics.

I think, it's too complicated mechanic to remember all choices. May be it's better to just give a card this three variant's of play, like Shupe's ones? So u can play it in every round like u want. But, this variability must cost much more.
What about NR/SY dominance: they just not balanced. No need of making new complicated mechanics just because factions are unbalanced.

I think, it's too complicated mechanic to remember all choices. May be it's better to just give a card this three variant's of play, like Shupe's ones? So u can play it in every round like u want. But, this variability must cost much more.
What about NR/SY dominance: they just not balanced. No need of making new complicated mechanics just because factions are unbalanced.

Well, since this game is eventually going on mobile, it's probably better to not overload cards with text. As for the NR/SY comment, that was just a remark about why I've been playing so much NG recently that I had this idea. It's really not that fun being on either side of the game with hard control NG.

Top Bottom