A New Saga Begins

+
Who else? They won't get high sells without well known characters, like Geralt, Ciri, Triss, Yen etc. I don't think they gonna make another Thronebraker: The Witcher Tales since it's labeled as "new saga", and if it's not Geralt then Ciri is the only character around whom they can create new big and succesful story. If only they still care about it and not going to make some MMO or Assassin's Creed-like.
That's a very no-balls type of attitude bruv, it's also seriously underestimating the writing capabilities of their writers. Just because you lack the imagination to think of another character then Ciri doesn't mean it can't be done. The Witcher is a massive universe with so many characters, such a large and rich world and a long history, so many options to expand it too. Not saying that it's not going to be Ciri, but I am saying that you have no reason to be certain of that and I personally would much rather see a new character or someone who we are less familiar with.
IF they make a good game with a good story and gameplay, it will be successful, that's for sure.

Not buying this in a million years.
Believe me, you're going to buy! LMAO
Post automatically merged:

This is great news! This partnership will bring evolution to the Open World RPG. Sky is the limit now!

Last edited:
That's a very no-balls type of attitude bruv, it's also seriously underestimating the writing capabilities of their writers. Just because you lack the imagination to think of another character then Ciri doesn't mean it can't be done. The Witcher is a massive universe with so many characters, such a large and rich world and a long history, so many options to expand it too. Not saying that it's not going to be Ciri, but I am saying that you have no reason to be certain of that and I personally would much rather see a new character or someone who we are less familiar with.
IF they make a good game with a good story and gameplay, it will be successful, that's for sure.
Perhaps. But I see no good reasons to change direction drastically. I just feel like story of Ciri and some other characters is quite far from it's over.

Moderator: Another post sent to the graveyard. Since there have been multiple incidents in this thread so far, for the public's benefit, here are some reminders from our Forum Regulations (which we encourage everyone to read and follow):

When perusing the forums, you will often find people passionately expressing their opinions, which may differ from yours. Regardless of these differences, please, keep the following basic rules in mind:
  • always treat others with kindness and respect
  • write in the appropriate language of the forums (here, English)
  • do not insult others and try not to easily take offense

So what? Another game you announced to early, spend 10 years developing it just to release it to early? lol
Good luck but I'm not holding my breath

We are not planning on making the game exclusive to one storefront.
TBH, one can assume it already won't be exclusive to one storefront as it'll appear on GOG for certain... The question everyone wants to know is; Will it appear on Steam?

The people who dislike Epic, don't care if its on the Epic store, we care if its available everywhere.

Cyberpunk is not The Witcher, it's a whole new franchise without any previous games or well known characters.
"Anyone" doesn't work for Witcher series, you can see it in example of Thronebraker, which didn't have much success. Source is common logic.
No one knew the witcher before the first game except book readers and the same would apply to Cyberpunk tabletop RPG so none of what you said matters. Geralt and Ciri's story is done, there's no point going back to it.

[...]

Ok, I'll rephrase. My dear comrades who think this series needs character creation or class selection or other skyrim-like features, I strongly believe you're extremely misguided and it would be tremendously appreciated if you put some thought into understanding what exactly makes this franchise such a masterpiece before providing your very valuable and insightful suggestions. Thanks :) Peace :) Have a nice day :)
So what makes the franchise a masterpiece in your opinion? writing/Story-telling? How is that impacted by adding character creation?

For those who missed history, CDPR themselves wanted to make even the first game with character creation but decided to make it about Geralt.

Arguments that one approach is much better than the other makes little sense to me.

I like the news being shared here, but I don't think Ciri would be a good shoice as the playable character as it'd never quite live up to what people expect.

I think a depressed, reclusive and hermit-like Eskel could be a good character to develop.
He's alone, living up in the mountains of nowhere trying to avoid contact with others, trying and failing to come to terms with the death of his 'father-figure'.
Before he knows it, somehow he is plunging headlong into the kind of adventure he often mocked Geralt for getting into, saying how much he disliked the kind of drama the White Wolf was involved in...

Of course, CDPR will have their own idea of where to take the Continent next.

My wishes:
- show footage as soon as possible for early feedback
- don't try to make it bigger but instead focus and make it solid
- take your time to deliver a polished experience
- bring dice poker back in*
And my greatest wishes (I would use a Djinn for if I could):
- don't make it another first person game!
- release it on GOG!
- please be successful!

I would have wished to play as a mage/wizard/sorceress/sorcerer this time
or as a witcher from another school (at a time when other schools existed)
but I also like playing as Ciri because her parts were the best in Witcher 3 (IMHO)
and it seems you already have chosen what person we are going to play.
Therefore this wish matters not and I take what you are giving us.

*) even now and then I am starting the first game only to play dice poker
(call me addicted if you must) ;)

No one knew the witcher before the first game except book readers and the same would apply to Cyberpunk tabletop RPG so none of what you said matters. Geralt and Ciri's story is done, there's no point going back to it.

So what makes the franchise a masterpiece in your opinion? writing/Story-telling? How is that impacted by adding character creation?
When you create a custom character, he gets inserted into the world out of nowhere. He never existed before and now he does, and that makes all interactions with that character unfulfilling, unnatural and out of place because it's impossible to fully take into account all variables of your custom character: race, sex, face, hair, (often poorly written) backstory, skill set, etc. Instead of having a well established protagonist with a decent backstory and character we end up having a bland and generic nobody who doesn't stand for anything and represents nothing like it was with cyberpunk, which by the way would be a much better game if it had an established protagonist. Out of all games with character creation only DOS 2 managed to create a decent story, and even then the game feels much better if you choose to play as an established character instead of creating your own. On top of that, in that particular game it worked because the lore of the game isn't focused on any particular individuals but rather on the universe as a whole. In our instance the series is literally called "The Witcher" and it has always been about particular characters and their stories, not as much about the world. Aside from DOS, I can't recall a single game with character creation that has a decent story. They may have other advantages like replayability, but The Witcher games don't need those advantages if it means sacrificing narrative because narrative is the cornerstone of this franchise

Anyone? With Cyberpunk they went for make your own character game. Why not use that with Witcher 4? Personally I hope they use such model instead of going for a fixed character one. It worked well for Geralt, not sure it would work well for others.

Either way, if you don't have a source, saying it's Ciri is just pure speculation.

Ya I personally would not be interested in a Ciri-led game, at all. I'm open to a new pre-determined Witcher, or possibly a character creation version as well. Curious to see what they do with this.

When you create a custom character, he gets inserted into the world out of nowhere. He never existed before and now he does, and that makes all interactions with that character unfulfilling, unnatural and out of place because it's impossible to fully take into account all variables of your custom character: race, sex, face, hair, (often poorly written) backstory, skill set, etc. Instead of having a well established protagonist with a decent backstory and character we end up having a bland and generic nobody who doesn't stand for anything and represents nothing like it was with cyberpunk, which by the way would be a much better game if it had an established protagonist. Out of all games with character creation only DOS 2 managed to create a decent story, and even then the game feels much better if you choose to play as an established character instead of creating your own. On top of that, in that particular game it worked because the lore of the game isn't focused on any particular individuals but rather on the universe as a whole. In our instance the series is literally called "The Witcher" and it has always been about particular characters and their stories, not as much about the world. Aside from DOS, I can't recall a single game with character creation that has a decent story. They may have other advantages like replayability, but The Witcher games don't need those advantages if it means sacrificing narrative because narrative is the cornerstone of this franchise
^ Excellent points as well on the downsides of custom character creation. That's one of the things I loved about The Witcher books leading into the games was all the pre-established relationship dynamics with very thorough and meaningful backstory.

I have wondered if they might either team with Sapkowski to have him help write some lead-in material for a new Witcher, with new characters, sorceresses, world leaders, etc. so we know who is who already, or maybe even use the Thronebreaker style game to set the stage for the next set of games since we don't even know time periods, etc. yet. Definitely will be interested to see more info.

All I want to know is if it has Character Creation. I didn't like any of the previous games because i had to play Geralt.
The RED engine wasn't great for modding in your own character creation. At most the mods let you replace Geralt with the model of another character in the game.
The game didn't need character creation. It's not The Elder Scrolls. The Witcher is focused more on story-telling then roleplaying and that's just the way the game was made to be. It is also based on the book series written by Andrzej Sapkowski in which Geralt is the main character of the story. They couldn't just make up there own story in the same world with a completely different character that is fully customisable, because then it would be hardly anything like the books. Now this new Witcher game probably won't even have Geralt in it at least as a main character because I believe The Witcher 3 took place at the furthest point into the timeline the series has been to, meaning this new game will probably also take place after the books and be a unique story not written by Andrzej Sapkowski, but that does not mean the new game should appeal to a different audience while leaving there original audience behind at the likely cost of the quality of it's story-telling by making the main character fully customisable.

just please, PLEASE take your time, I personally would wait as long as you need as long as the game comes out good.
100% agree.
Please do NOT rush it at all and for the love of god don't crunch the developers. Not only does it destroy passion and productivity but it messes them up mentally which in turn also destroys productivity and passion even more. Amazing games don't need to be crunch'd to be fantastic, well received and successful games.

Last edited:
We produce theories until the official information is announced, now the mind is superior to the mind, dear management and friends, I am looking forward to your expectations and your thoughts.

beginning a multi-year strategic partnership with Epic Games
If the game will be available on GoG i'll maybe buy it, but if it will be available only of EpicGames i'll pass.
And in 2017 they announced we won't play Geralt anymore so maybe Ciri ?

I don't know exactly how the story can be, but I have some thoughts and wishes about this new series, the witcher creations in the old times, the combination of the spheres can be like the first witcher, we can also have our current characters after the wild hunt, for example, a story can be provided through Ciri, the foundation of a new school

No one knew the witcher before the first game except book readers and the same would apply to Cyberpunk tabletop RPG so none of what you said matters.
The Witcher background obviously is bigger at the moment, including not only series of books but 3 huge games, which cannot be easily ignored. Cyberpunk tabletop RPG? How many even knew of its existence?
Ciri's story is done
lol, of course it's not done, i'd say it's only in the middle.

Top Bottom