A note about preorder and TW2 editions from CD Projekt RED

+
DelightfulMcCoy said:
DelightfulMcCoy said:
They need to make the effort to fight back against piracy or risk their product, it's as simple as that, it sucks, but it is the way of things.
What they NEED to do is open their eyes and see that the games get pirated BECAUSE of DRM (those crackers love a challenge) and the sales go down BECAUSE of DRM - customers say no to punishment. The percentage of lack brain leechers who dont want to pay for anything, would not buy it anyway. How can you risk your product more effectively than with implementing a hassle that doesn't prevent piracy anyway?
So your theory is that developers have brought piracy upon themselves, and that only by NOT attempting to foil pirateers can they overcome them?Piracy is causing the downfall of all modern forms of entertainment, there is no correct argument for it, they need to be punished, just like stealing anyone else's particular brand of hard work.

SlateUK said:
SlateUK said:
SlateUK said:
They need to make the effort to fight back against piracy or risk their product, it's as simple as that, it sucks, but it is the way of things.
What they NEED to do is open their eyes and see that the games get pirated BECAUSE of DRM (those crackers love a challenge) and the sales go down BECAUSE of DRM - customers say no to punishment. The percentage of lack brain leechers who dont want to pay for anything, would not buy it anyway. How can you risk your product more effectively than with implementing a hassle that doesn't prevent piracy anyway?
So your theory is that developers have brought piracy upon themselves, and that only by NOT attempting to foil pirateers can they overcome them?
You are twisting my words and playing dumb. I never said that piracy ORIGINATED after DRM was introduced. It's a dynamic process. And now the DRM is a challenge for crack teams that didn't even exist before.
Piracy is causing the downfall of all modern forms of entertainment, there is no correct argument for it, they need to be punished, just like stealing anyone else's particular brand of hard work.
Well, I am not THEM, yet I am the one who's being punished. THEY don't get found out or punished by making my life harder. So I will be pissed every time this happens to me and I will not give my money to Sony for their software that I. Do. Not. Want. And this is my right, my ONLY right as a customer.

SlateUK said:
SlateUK said:
SlateUK said:
So your theory is that developers have brought piracy upon themselves, and that only by NOT attempting to foil pirateers can they overcome them?Piracy is causing the downfall of all modern forms of entertainment, there is no correct argument for it, they need to be punished, just like stealing anyone else's particular brand of hard work.
Hyperbole much?

SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
Hyperbole much?
Not really, the industries are hurting bad. Video game companies, successful ones, are chopping departments and divisions left and right, the music industry is at an all time low. Even books sales are down due to piracy involving those stupid kindle reader things.

SlateUK said:
SlateUK said:
SlateUK said:
SlateUK said:
SlateUK said:
Hyperbole much?
Not really, the industries are hurting bad. Video game companies, successful ones, are chopping departments and divisions left and right, the music industry is at an all time low. Even books sales are down due to piracy involving those stupid kindle reader things.
I don't know if you've noticed, but the past 2-3 years have been rough in the economies of many countries, especially that of the biggest consumerist country of all, the US. Stock markets have plunged, and all sorts of industries have been affected by recession. And believe you me, recession has nothing to do with electronic media pirates.

SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
I don't know if you've noticed, but the past 2-3 years have been rough in the economies of many countries, especially that of the biggest consumerist country of all, the US. Stock markets have plunged, and all sorts of industries have been affected by recession. And believe you me, recession has nothing to do with electronic media pirates.
Word.Me probably bad pirate, because I dont't have a stupid kindle reader thing, but an even better kind of portable reader and I haven't paid for books in ages. Because there's enough free stuff to last me a lifetime. Come to think of it, the last books I bought were the witcher books. And they are so cumbersome with all that paper...Don't buy much music anymore, either. Last album I bought though, I bought twice. Because it was that good. A rare find. The music industry suffers from their own shortsightedness, i.e. producing those one hit wonders in bulk, but a lot less artists with real longevity. Plus, nowadays there's online radio. Why would I buy the shallow stuff, when I can listen to it on the radio. Which in turn pays royalties to the music companies. So while the sold units of singles might have decreased, doesn't say anything about that income. Statistics are as good as the one who falsified them.Video games... do I really have to start? The market is oversaturated and for a lot of titles, the DRM is more elaborate than the gameplay. DNW.Want to support companies with a real vision, who stay true to their principles (hence the hurt over DRM), do not want to support DRM company, who is the only winner, because they are the ones who provide the weapons and ammunition for both sides in the war of DRM - the participants of a war never win anything, they just don't know it, they call a won battle a victory. Yeah, right.And, you know, recession. :)

Seems to me it has turn to a DRM war of debate :p. In my most humble opinion, pirates are always pirates. Whether a game has DRM or no DRM they probably just wanted to play/listen/read/whatever or even eat! for FREE if they CAN!!It's primarily POINTLESS trying to counter piracy at all by imposing DRM(for softwares/games/digital entertainment) because it has been proven it didn't work!... games will be available few days later on torrents sites anyway.why pay additional expenses in adding DRM to the games other than more likely to offend their loyal and legitimate customers? HOWEVER, in recent CDPR FAQ about DRM they have humbly explained that publishers need some form of protection or confidence in the games they would be publishing and hence these DRM are forced to be included in the retail version.It is clearly seen that, i believe most developers have flocked to the other side focusing and developing multiplayer games or console games that may seem more profitable abandoning all together PC exclusive and singleplayer title.It is a sad fact and yes there's nothing much that they can do about it. Only thing they can do about it is just avoid making PC games except multiplayer games.

archaven said:
why pay additional expenses in adding DRM to the games other than more likely to offend their loyal and legitimate customers? HOWEVER, in recent CDPR FAQ about DRM they have humbly explained that publishers need some form of protection or confidence in the games they would be publishing and hence these DRM are forced to be included in the retail version.
Upper management is usually the culprit, making such decisions without an understanding of the technology and the environment they are dealing with, and then forcing the engineers to implement it. I see it at work all the time. A vendor comes in and paints a beautiful picture showing management how their product is going to do wonders and save them millions or make them millions, and upper management starts thinking "yearly bonus" and "stockholders' meeting", then when the product is turned over to the engineers for deployment, the product can't sustain the particular environment, or becomes a hassle for the users of the product, etc.

archaven said:
Seems to me it has turn to a DRM war of debate :p. In my most humble opinion, pirates are always pirates. Whether a game has DRM or no DRM they probably just wanted to play/listen/read/whatever or even eat! for FREE if they CAN!!It's primarily POINTLESS trying to counter piracy at all by imposing DRM(for softwares/games/digital entertainment) because it has been proven it didn't work!... games will be available few days later on torrents sites anyway.why pay additional expenses in adding DRM to the games other than more likely to offend their loyal and legitimate customers? HOWEVER, in recent CDPR FAQ about DRM they have humbly explained that publishers need some form of protection or confidence in the games they would be publishing and hence these DRM are forced to be included in the retail version.It is clearly seen that, i believe most developers have flocked to the other side focusing and developing multiplayer games or console games that may seem more profitable abandoning all together PC exclusive and singleplayer title.It is a sad fact and yes there's nothing much that they can do about it. Only thing they can do about it is just avoid making PC games except multiplayer games.
I think the biggest reason is that not having DRM deprives the developer (or publisher, trade association, or whoever) of an important legal remedy against pirates. This is so, even if the DRM is not difficult to break.Breaking DRM is a wrongful act and a crime, just by itself. In the USA, you can get 5 years in a Federal slammer for it.Anti-piracy offices of studios, publishers, prosecutors, and the like are the ones that see genuine benefits from DRM. To everybody else, it is an additional expense and a nuisance. But the pirate hunters have a lot of clout.

GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
I think the biggest reason is that not having DRM deprives the developer (or publisher, trade association, or whoever) of an important legal remedy against pirates. This is so, even if the DRM is not difficult to break.Breaking DRM is a wrongful act and a crime, just by itself. In the USA, you can get 5 years in a Federal slammer for it.Anti-piracy offices of studios, publishers, prosecutors, and the like are the ones that see genuine benefits from DRM. To everybody else, it is an additional expense and a nuisance. But the pirate hunters have a lot of clout.
What is this "important legal remedy" you mention? Printed books do not have DRM, patents do not have DRM, company logos or slogans do not have DRM... Heck, I don't have to break the DRM to pirate a game.. I can simply burn multiple copies and give out the cd-key with them; you may be SOL for multiplayer, but still...

Sorry to interrupt your debate, but I have an important question. What DLC do we get with a GoG order? I could not find this information anywhere.

swordsandroses said:
Sorry to interrupt your debate, but I have an important question. What DLC do we get with a GoG order? I could not find this information anywhere.
With the GOG pre-order, you get:AvatarsBonus game tracksA photo tour of CDProjektArtworkWallpapers.You also get to download most of the game starting on May 10th, so come the 17th, you just download a small portion (including the executable) and off you go.

SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
What is this "important legal remedy" you mention? Printed books do not have DRM, patents do not have DRM, company logos or slogans do not have DRM... Heck, I don't have to break the DRM to pirate a game.. I can simply burn multiple copies and give out the cd-key with them; you may be SOL for multiplayer, but still...
Printed books do not have DRM, because nobody will make a copy of a copyrighted printed book for you. If they do, there are other laws under which they may be prosecuted. Logos, trade dress, and the like are protected by patent and trademark law, which offers adequate remedies. Those arguments do not apply to copyrighted digital works.There is a huge difference between penny-ante freeloading and genuine piracy, and everybody here who claims DRM does not do anything to prevent piracy is ignoring this difference. The industry doesn't care about penny-ante freeloaders, and that is all your hypothetical action would amount to. The industry cares about people who rip them off for millions, by actions such as breaking release date on a title. Anti-piracy organizations want to see people who make significant profits off of piracy pay them back and do hard time.

SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
With the GOG pre-order, you get:AvatarsBonus game tracksA photo tour of CDProjektArtworkWallpapers.You also get to download most of the game starting on May 10th, so come the 17th, you just download a small portion (including the executable) and off you go.
Those are pre ordering bonus.When you get GOG's version you get also these additional goodies:pdf artbook-papercraft dolls pdf-game manual and guide pdf-bonus video making of-original soundtrack-maps and pamphlet pdf-one more game on your choice among: Divine Divinity Beyond Divinity Realm of Arkania 1+2 Realm of Arkania 3 Gothic 2

GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
Printed books do not have DRM, because nobody will make a copy of a copyrighted printed book for you. If they do, there are other laws under which they may be prosecuted. Logos, trade dress, and the like are protected by patent and trademark law, which offers adequate remedies. Those arguments do not apply to copyrighted digital works.There is a huge difference between penny-ante freeloading and genuine piracy, and everybody here who claims DRM does not do anything to prevent piracy is ignoring this difference. The industry doesn't care about penny-ante freeloaders, and that is all your hypothetical action would amount to. The industry cares about people who rip them off for millions, by actions such as breaking release date on a title. Anti-piracy organizations want to see people who make significant profits off of piracy pay them back and do hard time.
Obviously, Kinko's (US retail copying svc) is not going to make me copies of an entire book.HOWEVER, I can scan an entire book with my handy scanner, put all the content on a pdf, and share it with the world. I am trying to figure out where you are coming from, because your comments are not making much sense. Saying that what I describe is a "hypothetical action" is not very logical. It isn't hypothetical at all. Could you define "genuine" piracy? Is there "fake" piracy? Dismissing people who share titles as "penny-ante freeloaders" is not very rational. I guess you think the only pirates are those Russian torrent sites that offer the torrents for free, but charge advertising... well, what about file sharing sites, where all these "penny-ante" freeloaders share titles among millions of people? If the "industry" wouldn't care about "penny-ante freeloaders", why is it that teenagers sharing mp3s keep getting sued for millions?

SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
SystemShock7 said:
Obviously, Kinko's (US retail copying svc) is not going to make me copies of an entire book.HOWEVER, I can scan an entire book with my handy scanner, put all the content on a pdf, and share it with the world. I am trying to figure out where you are coming from, because your comments are not making much sense. Saying that what I describe is a "hypothetical action" is not very logical. It isn't hypothetical at all. Could you define "genuine" piracy? Is there "fake" piracy? Dismissing people who share titles as "penny-ante freeloaders" is not very rational. I guess you think the only pirates are those Russian torrent sites that offer the torrents for free, but charge advertising... well, what about file sharing sites, where all these "penny-ante" freeloaders share titles among millions of people? If the "industry" wouldn't care about "penny-ante freeloaders", why is it that teenagers sharing mp3s keep getting sued for millions?
That claim is just not so.Pirates who have been sued by the RIAA etc. have been dealing, not in sharing a few files with their friends, but in sharing tens of thousands of titles with the world at large. Whether their motive is profit or monkey-wrenching, or they simply do not understand how file-sharing works, the distinctive feature of their activities is its large and disruptive scale.Anti-piracy organizations don't play games that aren't worth the candle. They go after big targets, and all of the lawsuits so deplored by those who have an axe to grind or don't bother to look behind the superficial coverage are brought because they are against significant sites of pirate activity.

GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
GuyN039wah said:
That claim is just not so.Pirates who have been sued by the RIAA etc. have been dealing, not in sharing a few files with their friends, but in sharing tens of thousands of titles with the world at large. Whether their motive is profit or monkey-wrenching, or they simply do not understand how file-sharing works, the distinctive feature of their activities is its large and disruptive scale.Anti-piracy organizations don't play games that aren't worth the candle. They go after big targets, and all of the lawsuits so deplored by those who have an axe to grind or don't bother to look behind the superficial coverage are brought because they are against significant sites of pirate activity.
Well, I guess those 20,000+ multi-million law suits brought against individual file sharers by the RIAA, some of them for sharing as little as 20 songs, and including a deceased 70 year old grandmother, are just figments of my imagination, and CNN's imagination as well.... oh well.

SystemShock7 said:
Well, I guess those 20,000+ multi-million law suits brought against individual file sharers by the RIAA, some of them for sharing as little as 20 songs, and including a deceased 70 year old grandmother, are just figments of my imagination, and CNN's imagination as well.... oh well.
RIAA did not file "20,000+ multi-million lawsuits". That's baloney. It's FUD perpetraded by longtime freeloaders with an axe to grind against anyone who would interfere with their freeloading.RIAA did make threats against a large number of small-time freeloaders, but sued only one. More to my point, they sued a number of Kazaa members who had pirated thousands of titles, but settled most of these for less than $3,000. The high-dollar suits were against Phynd, Flatlan, Usenet, AllOfMP3, XM Satellite Radio, Project Playlist, and Limewire for piracy or operating networks for the purpose of promoting piracy. Phynd settled out of court and ceased operation.Flatlan ceased operation.RIAA won the case against Usenet.AllOfMP3 won the case, in a Russian court (unsurprisingly, considering the degree of institutionalized piracy in Russia).XM Satellite Radio settled out of court.Project Playlist agreed to license content from EMI and Sony, after being banned from Myspace and Facebook. The requirement to pay royalties bankrupted the company, which continues to operate in Chapter 11.RIAA won the case against Limewire.

Hi, i am planning to pre-order the CE from http://www.sendit.com/home.dept but i can't see it on your list of pre-order available shops, is it possible that i can encounter a problem if i pre-order from there?

Top Bottom