A PETITION about making another ending for the animation of Cyberpunk:Edgerunners

+

Would you like to see an another happier ending(NOT replacing what it is in the animation)

• YES

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • NO

Votes: 44 78.6%

• Total voters
I think this petition is actually kind of cute. But as most of you said: A happy ending just wouldn't fit.
Look at it maybe from this angle: (One of) cyberpunk fiction's main topics is that capitalism is not the American Dream, it's a dystopia in the making. And David, coming from a poor background, making it to the top of Arasaka, is already just an impossible dream that his mother is trying to force by doing illegal deals. If David would make it and survive, we would be happy on a surface level but the message would be: If you work really hard and are gifted, you can beat even a system stacked against you. But truth is, you can't force it, it's just luck. And if you try, you'll end up like David or his mom: Living only for others, who then end up having a bad conscience because of your sacrifice and then continue this behaviour for others whom they love while big corporations exploit your struggle for their benefit.

Here's the real issue though.

Regardless of if you loved or hated the ending, and regardless of if an "alternate ending" would just be a what if for fans or cannon or whatever.
It's likely not to happen because it's too expensive, you need to bring back the entire team, to write it and animate it, then bring back the voice actors for every localization, and some of those actors won't come cheap, Giancarlo Esposito especially.

I get wanting some hopefulness, or somewhat happy endings literally anywhere in Night City or the cyberpunk universe. But much like the game the good parts come from the people you could help. V saving River's nephew, Helping Joshua find peace, saving the lives of clients, etc.... V may be doomed but they did some good and left an impact. Same is true for David, sure in the end only 2 of his crew survived, but He gave them a fresh start that got them out of NC and out of the life, that counts for something. Plus, Faraday got his in the end and the "Bad guys" often win in this genre so some justice there is a nice bonus.
Maybe it will be expensive. But as I kown, the animation and Jap dubbing was finished in Trigger Studio,Japan. And the cooperation between CDPR and it was depent on internet.
Post automatically merged:

It's nice that you guys express your opinion and discuss with me. Any idea and opinion is welcome. Please, write it down, and I will reply it and try to discuss, maybe I won't be able to reply immediately. I will persist my petition until it‘s done. And apologize for my limited English skills.

How ever I wish Rebecca would of lived
Com'on, turn it into practical movement. The ending is not a realistic fate, it could be changed.

Please, change it a tiny bit and don't let Smasher kill Rebecca.
Yes,write it down, CDPR will see it.

I think this petition is actually kind of cute. But as most of you said: A happy ending just wouldn't fit.
Look at it maybe from this angle: (One of) cyberpunk fiction's main topics is that capitalism is not the American Dream, it's a dystopia in the making. And David, coming from a poor background, making it to the top of Arasaka, is already just an impossible dream that his mother is trying to force by doing illegal deals. If David would make it and survive, we would be happy on a surface level but the message would be: If you work really hard and are gifted, you can beat even a system stacked against you. But truth is, you can't force it, it's just luck. And if you try, you'll end up like David or his mom: Living only for others, who then end up having a bad conscience because of your sacrifice and then continue this behaviour for others whom they love while big corporations exploit your struggle for their benefit.
True, it's Nght City. And the happy ending wouldn't fit. That's why it won't replace the existing ending. But David's survive doesn't mean the dream of his mom's or Maine's come true, or beat Arasaka. He can just survive and quit or even be captured by the order of Arasaka then get rescued by V a year later.

Last edited:
True, it's Nght City. And the happy ending wouldn't fit. That's why it won't replace the existing ending. But David's survive doesn't mean the dream of his mom's or Maine's come true, or beat Arasaka. He can just survive and quit or even be captured by the order of Arasaka then get rescued by V a year later.
I think, David can't "just survive and quit". Look at how much he loves Lucy and she begs him to quit many times. If even she can't persuade him, who could? Not even he himself because of all the small decisions he made, he's on a set path.
The real tragedy of the stories of Night City is: There is no Cyberpsychosis. It's just the continued trauma of living in a world that is highly stressful and unjust to the small people. The cybernetics are just a coping mechanism. It's like cigarettes and alcohol: Legal drugs to make money for the ones in power.

"Tragedy is to destruct beatiful and valuable things in front of people"
Sorry, I must do it :giggle:
"Where did you go, psycho boy"
"I felt like destroying something beautiful"

Beautiful.gif

I think the death of certain crew members was very fitting but for me, it felt like they forced Davids's death. There are characters I feel are partly to blame for David ending up in the situation he was in at the end, Kiwi is one of them but they were really hanging onto David only living the dreams of other people regardless if it would make him happy or would kill him. If he didn't end up in the suit he definitely would have turned into a cyberpyshco. Ripper doc at least 3 times, Lucy, Rebecca, freeze-ups in combat, seeing a crew member go psycho, and seeing things were all warnings he straight up ignored because he was living someone else's dream and thought he was special. After episode 5 I feel you started to see the ramifications of that which is around the same time everything he was saying and doing really started to bother me. The only way he could really survive I think is if someone actually did give smasher the order to make him a construct after smasher asked and the bullet that was fired maybe went next to his head because they would definitely have gotten the body and the suit out of there after the fight. But I'm with you honestly it feels like Cyberpunk's M.O is to make you feel crappy afterward. His death specifically I feel was unnecessary in order to make it a good anime because all the characters were nicely done in my opinion. Someone pointed out that a lot of animes end sadly but I'm not an anime guy and I can tell you that just killing off the people that everyone likes is very common in general at least with the shows and movies I watch. Even though I think it was a very good anime because I see that so much and it seems creators just have to go that route all the time it wasn't impactful for me, more so annoying after I figured out the direction it was going in episode 6.

Hey maybe someone will create a well-thought-out mod quest in which you find out how David actually survives what happened in the show (would have to be some good writing) and then if enough people enjoy it maybe CDPR would make it canon or something.
Thank you, bro. We share the same feelings. There is a lot of sad ending animation whch produced by Trigger Sudio, such as Tengen Toppa and Darling in the FRANXx.

Yes, there are a lot of fanfictions and fanarts for the ending, they are the practical response of those people who feel the same as me. And my response is writing this petition. As for lesson, "Tragedy is to destruct beatiful and valuable things in front of people" words from a great writer of my country. I've learnt lesson enough from reality and arts production.

I'd thought about it too, last night. At present, the animation has already make us understand the feeling of lost. It's good, it will make us more cherish what we got. But how about after persistent efforts,you retrieve something you lost. Which situation you will cherish it more?
I find the ending quite fitting. It's even not so tragic as Lucy gets to escape NC. I'd even call it bittersweet, as not all is lost: David dies knowing Lucy is alive and far from that hellhole

I think, David can't "just survive and quit". Look at how much he loves Lucy and she begs him to quit many times. If even she can't persuade him, who could? Not even he himself because of all the small decisions he made, he's on a set path.
The real tragedy of the stories of Night City is: There is no Cyberpsychosis. It's just the continued trauma of living in a world that is highly stressful and unjust to the small people. The cybernetics are just a coping mechanism. It's like cigarettes and alcohol: Legal drugs to make money for the ones in power.
He might change his mind after ep10 if he survive. Because he had realized the only dream he can achieve is protecting Lucy and achieving her dream when they jump out of the building in ep10. He can survive, the dream of Mom's and Maine's which push him to death was broken. He already got the payment and only head torso left after ep10.

I find the ending quite fitting. It's even not so tragic as Lucy gets to escape NC. I'd even call it bittersweet, as not all is lost: David dies knowing Lucy is alive and far from that hellhole
I understand the reason you like it and we have fundamental difference of opinion. Each of ours might not be changed, but they could coexist.

Last edited:
As much as I liked Rebecca as a character she is destined to die

She is a ride or die character

She will rush into battle head first trying to use brute force to overcome any problem

She sees Smasher coming down at her and defiantly stands her ground firing at him. She had time to move but that's not who she is as a character

She was the type to walk into hell with you smiling, knowing she wasn't going to walk out.

Her death sucked but I understood it. She was trying to help those she cared about even at the cost of her own safety

Edgerunners was probably one of the best stories I have experienced, the sad ending makes it even more meaningful and memorable.

As much as I liked Rebecca as a character she is destined to die

She is a ride or die character

She will rush into battle head first trying to use brute force to overcome any problem

She sees Smasher coming down at her and defiantly stands her ground firing at him. She had time to move but that's not who she is as a character

She was the type to walk into hell with you smiling, knowing she wasn't going to walk out.

Her death sucked but I understood it. She was trying to help those she cared about even at the cost of her own safety

Edgerunners was probably one of the best stories I have experienced, the sad ending makes it even more meaningful and memorable.
I know... A scar curved on heart is more memorable than a candy we ate.

Dear CDPR,

First of all, let me thank you for your tireless efforts to update your games and enhance our gaming experience. I would also like to express my great gratitude to you for working with Trigger Studio to produce such a great animation as Edgerunners. This is a perfect animation. Its pictures, music, characterization, composition and plot rhythm are excellent, I was totally immersed in this work, and everyone in the animation seemed to be real. At the same time, it also drove me to play the game again and recommend it to my friends, in spite of I was at the critical stage of applying for a doctor's degree.

However, such a perfect work has left a huge regret in my heart and even in the hearts of many players and audiences. That is the end of David and Lucy. Its influence on me and other players is so deep that we are afraid to hear the song << I Really Want to Stay At Your House>> again and can't get out of the sadness for a long time. It is enough to make a strong man cry out. Yes, the definition of cyberpunk means that the whole cyberpunk world is full of tragedies and regrets. Every small person at the bottom of society is struggling to survive. Every person who is killed may be whose son or whose mother, which also indicates that the outcome of david's team is doomed to be incomplete. However, in such a dark society, there are also some shining human brilliance, including family, friendship and love. These lights are more and more dazzling in the resistance of those little people against the unfair fate, and it is these lights that touch us. They make us not feel lonely and hopeless when we are immersed in the cyberpunk world. I believe that this is also the reason why you allow us to choose the outcome of different branch lines and main lines in the game. In the animation, the brilliance is gradually crushed. David did finally protect Lucy, his love. But as spectators, the brilliance we felt in the cyberpunk world has been taken away. The moon of Lucy's is just a symbol of her wish that she can no longer escape and feel safety. This is the reason why the scene is switched to the moon when she kisses David, David is her moon. And these are crushed in the end of the animation, which makes me feel desperate.

Therefore, I’m writing a petition to you. Please make an another ending for the animation, just like the classic animation of Fate series, even if it's just an episode. In that ending, Lucy and David are able to realize her dream together. This allows us to feel the greatness and role of human brilliance in such a world and love this game and animation more deeply. As for funds, no matter DLC or crowd-funding or what, I will pay for it. Please consider my petition, so I can proudly recommend CDPR that it’s a great group of people who stays with players and audiences, and it’s the creators of Cyberpunk2077, Edgerunners and the Witcher3. At the same time, I also beg all the players with the same feelings and wishes to write your reply under my petition, so that I can feel that I am not alone.

A loyal player
The ending is perfect as it is.

If they did do an alternate ending i would honestly be satisfied even if they didn't do a full anime episode. They could honestly just do a couple manga/graphic novel's starting from like episodes 5 or 6, and they would only have to do like 6-10 chapters to clean up the alt ending. And if they wanted too they could totally do a complete 20-ish chapters to completely rewrite it as people have said, it wouldn't be the first time an anime and a manga had 2 separate endings, Darling in the Franxx and Akame ga Kill had notably different endings.

If they did do an alternate ending i would honestly be satisfied even if they didn't do a full anime episode. They could honestly just do a couple manga/graphic novel's starting from like episodes 5 or 6, and they would only have to do like 6-10 chapters to clean up the alt ending. And if they wanted too they could totally do a complete 20-ish chapters to completely rewrite it as people have said, it wouldn't be the first time an anime and a manga had 2 separate endings, Darling in the Franxx and Akame ga Kill had notably different endings.
Yes!That's it. They always told me that how fitting or perfect the existing end is. But actually I don't care, making another ending doesn't mean change the ending they like, just for us.

I feel like an extra ending for the game makes sense but this is like writing, "Oh and Hamlet totally killed his uncle, became king, and married Ophelia."
So ''There are a thousand Hamlets in a thousand people's eyes''

no sequels but i definitely want more stories from different characters in the world

I'd be cool for Falco to take his role as the Legend of Night City.

:)

But I would love season 2 to be about characters in the game like Judy, Rogue, Dex, or Panam.

True but I feel like the story is beautiful as is and we should probably have them make a sequel.
That definitely would be wonderful. I would like to see it too. But taking someone else as main character, please. I can't bear to watch Falco or Lucy suffer anymore in that line.

Last edited:
Maybe it will be expensive. But as I kown, the animation and Jap dubbing was finished in Trigger Studio,Japan. And the cooperation between CDPR and it was depent on internet.

Even if people work from home/remotely/different countries. They still need to get paid. Just because the English cast can record in the US and send it to Trigger does not make it much less expensive, it really only cuts travel cost, everything else is still there. Animators need to get paid; Writers need to get paid. It's a lot of work even for just one 25–45-minute episode. Plus, localization costs for everywhere outside the US and Japan, which adds up.

I'm not trying to be negative or judge your opinion, Like I said, I liked the ending, but I don't dislike the idea of maybe a few more people surviving the end, especially Rebecca. I just think it's extremely unlikely that Trigger, CDPR or Netflix would want to invest more time and money into this.

I think the best you can hope for is a "Fan-fic" alternate ending, or your own personal "Head-cannon" because regardless of my opinion on the ending, I just don't see them putting the time and money into this. Maybe... and this is a BIG MAYBE, if they do a season 2 following new character, or Lucy, they might make a bonus alternate ending because they're already back at work on season 2, But there is also no indication of a follow up so again, It's unlikely.

Having said all that If I'm wrong and they do decide to give a little fan service and put out a recut or alternate ending that's fine too, it doesn't really affect anything unless the game ties in more heavily to the show later on and then obviously only one ending can be cannon.

Top Bottom