A PETITION about making another ending for the animation of Cyberpunk:Edgerunners

+

Would you like to see an another happier ending(NOT replacing what it is in the animation)

• YES

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • NO

Votes: 44 78.6%

• Total voters
I usually detest stories that end with 'everyone dies' but here it felt right for David's story to end the way it did

My only problem is that we didn't get to spend a lot of time with characters before they started getting picked off

But having ten episodes and a long stretch of time to cover kind of mandated they kept things moving

And also Rebecca. I'm bullshitting her back to life next Cyberpunk Red game I run. So what if the timeline doesn't match idgaf lol

Last edited:
Dear CDPR,

First of all, let me thank you for your tireless efforts to update your games and enhance our gaming experience. I would also like to express my great gratitude to you for working with Trigger Studio to produce such a great animation as Edgerunners. This is a perfect animation. Its pictures, music, characterization, composition and plot rhythm are excellent, I was totally immersed in this work, and everyone in the animation seemed to be real. At the same time, it also drove me to play the game again and recommend it to my friends, in spite of I was at the critical stage of applying for a doctor's degree.

However, such a perfect work has left a huge regret in my heart and even in the hearts of many players and audiences. That is the end of David and Lucy. Its influence on me and other players is so deep that we are afraid to hear the song << I Really Want to Stay At Your House>> again and can't get out of the sadness for a long time. It is enough to make a strong man cry out. Yes, the definition of cyberpunk means that the whole cyberpunk world is full of tragedies and regrets. Every small person at the bottom of society is struggling to survive. Every person who is killed may be whose son or whose mother, which also indicates that the outcome of david's team is doomed to be incomplete. However, in such a dark society, there are also some shining human brilliance, including family, friendship and love. These lights are more and more dazzling in the resistance of those little people against the unfair fate, and it is these lights that touch us. They make us not feel lonely and hopeless when we are immersed in the cyberpunk world. I believe that this is also the reason why you allow us to choose the outcome of different branch lines and main lines in the game. In the animation, the brilliance is gradually crushed. David did finally protect Lucy, his love. But as spectators, the brilliance we felt in the cyberpunk world has been taken away. The moon of Lucy's is just a symbol of her wish that she can no longer escape and feel safety. This is the reason why the scene is switched to the moon when she kisses David, David is her moon. And these are crushed in the end of the animation, which makes me feel desperate.

Therefore, I’m writing a petition to you. Please make an another ending for the animation, just like the classic animation of Fate series, even if it's just an episode. In that ending, Lucy and David are able to realize her dream together. This allows us to feel the greatness and role of human brilliance in such a world and love this game and animation more deeply. As for funds, no matter DLC or crowd-funding or what, I will pay for it. Please consider my petition, so I can proudly recommend CDPR that it’s a great group of people who stays with players and audiences, and it’s the creators of Cyberpunk2077, Edgerunners and the Witcher3. At the same time, I also beg all the players with the same feelings and wishes to write your reply under my petition, so that I can feel that I am not alone.

A loyal player

The ending could not have been more perfect. Yes, it's deeply sad, and a massive waste. The only winners are the corporations. This is Cyberpunk.

The ending could not have been more perfect. Yes, it's deeply sad, and a massive waste. The only winners are the corporations. This is Cyberpunk.
Yep, no such thing as happy endings in this setting. It's like asking GOT for a happy ending, it's just a no-no.

I have to ask, where does this idea come from?

I keep seeing people say this but it isn't true of all cyberpunk fiction

And there's no rule in 2020 that mandates the player characters have to die at the end of the campaign
I assume it's more a "preconceived idea" than a real fact :)
But for example, a Mike Pondsmith interview which begin with :
----
Matthew : "And of course, the man who killed your character in Cyberpunk, Mike Pondsmith. And when I say that Mike, I'm not just blowing smoke, I have here my original copy from when I was a kid and you killed my characters..."
Mike Pondsmith : "I'm glad you have a good time dying"
----

I have to ask, where does this idea come from?

I keep seeing people say this but it isn't true of all cyberpunk fiction

And there's no rule in 2020 that mandates the player characters have to die at the end of the campaign
Not dying, but having and end in which the closest thing to happiness is having survived the system, without ever having the possibility of defeating it (the case of Lucy).
Post automatically merged:

I assume it's more a "preconceived idea" than a real fact :)
But for example, a Mike Pondsmith interview which begin with :
----
Matthew : "And of course, the man who killed your character in Cyberpunk, Mike Pondsmith. And when I say that Mike, I'm not just blowing smoke, I have here my original copy from when I was a kid and you killed my characters..."
Mike Pondsmith : "I'm glad you have a good time dying"
----
I don't think so, bittersweet/tragic endings seem to be a constant in this genre, whether the main character dies or not. It's usually about their losing battle against the degenerate corpo system, be it direct opposition to it or simply trying to survive/not join it fully. Whatever the faults of this anime are (and boy, there are many), the conclusion of the story with Lucy having achieved her dream, but feeling like a hollow victory due to not being able to share it with the one she loves, felt quite fitting for the genre.

Last edited:
We could have a other ending or a sequel with Lucy who discovers that David is not totally dead

Why David can't be alive ?
he may be dead physically but maybe not his spirit, like we are in CYBERpunk, we just need to have his mind in a microchip as the style of Silverhand
Smasher could have made David believe dead just to keep him
Maybe Smasher got David's spirit to put it in a future creation, and V comes across it during a quest and we have to help David find a body (or just give his mind to Lucy).
OR it's in a Sequel with Lucy learning all about it and will try to find the chip
I think if we put his mind chip in a "fixed" corpse he can come back to life. If it's doable with Johnny, why not with David ?
That's just my opinion.

PS: sorry for my poor english
Yes, it makes sense, even he got shot on his head. Maybe the suit could transport or copy his soul into some device. There could be a lot of explanation for David's survive in the possible sequels.

I usually detest stories that end with 'everyone dies' but here it felt right for David's story to end the way it did

My only problem is that we didn't get to spend a lot of time with characters before they started getting picked off

But having ten episodes and a long stretch of time to cover kind of mandated they kept things moving

And also Rebecca. I'm bullshitting her back to life next Cyberpunk Red game I run. So what if the timeline doesn't match idgaf lol
The plot of whole story is so compact, and the pace just like one after one. I like everyone in the team of David's , and the end came quickly and caused some effect like shocked.

Last edited:
Not dying, but having and end in which the closest thing to happiness is having survived the system, without ever having the possibility of defeating it (the case of Lucy).

Yeah I get that aspect of it, and I think in the case of the story they were telling it was absolutely the right call

I just get the impression sometimes that people think the story has to be bleak and devoid of hope

But just because you can't topple the power structure doesn't mean you can't make a difference for your community, your friends, or your family

I dunno, I guess I just don't like people thinking they have to limit what stories they can tell

Just when I though my soul had finally recovered from getting wreaked by CP2077 this anime comes along and wreaks it again. This one is gunna be in my top 10 for a long time to come. 2077/10 will watch again once my soul recovers :) .

Funny thing, I had just started a new play through of CP2077 and then paused to binge watch the anime and now I can't bring my self to continue playing my new play through right now lol. o_O Soul to messed up right now.

Says a lot about a show when it wreaks you to your core.

Lucy better show up in the game!! (y)(y)
I want Falco in the game to!! (y)(y)
Becca we will always remember you. :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I am of two minds. On the one hand, I find the ending very fitting. On the other hand, I think if you had wanted to exploit the possibilities of Night City then it would have been possible, for example, for Jonny Silverhand to intervene at the fight and save David's almost destroyed body. at the end when Lucy is looking at the sun David puts his hand on her shoulder, she turns around and bursts into tears. that would be my end :D

Top Bottom