A plead for CDPR.

+
A plead for CDPR.

Hi there everyone !
I was playing Hearthstone for quite some time, I had great fun and card games are awesome because they don't take up so much time.
The point of such card games is to have a lot of fun in a shorter time than most competitive games, and enjoy in experimenting and trying out new things. So as I've said, I have been playing Hearthstone and instead of experimenting and having fun, people can just type "Best decks for (insert class name here) " in Google and there you go, you're set to go for the highest ranks without even trying to be creative. I can recall when I got beaten by the same decks over and over again, and that is what killed the fun for me, and I believe, for many other players.

To get to the point, please CDPR, don't make the same mistake, I have no ideas on how you could improve such a big thing, so all I can do is hope you see this post and others, like mine, if they even exist, because all I want to do is have fun, not be beaten by the same decks over and over again that rock in the current meta.

Thank you.

Hi there everyone !
[...]

To get to the point, please CDPR, don't make the same mistake, I have no ideas on how you could improve such a big thing, so all I can do is hope you see this post and others, like mine, if they even exist, because all I want to do is have fun, not be beaten by the same decks over and over again that rock in the current meta.

Thank you.

I can see your point, but in GWENT you don't use your whole deck in play. You only get 10 random cards from your deck. I think that's a first step to prevent "unbeatable decks" :)

The meta is a unavoidable .. I mean if an RNGish game like HS couoldn't prevent it how can Gwent do that .. I still hope that Cdpr try to at least constantly change the meta by nerfing OP cards as they emerge.

I think they can do it well. What is certain the system will match opponents with similar deck power, so this is first good thing. The second thing is the fact that we only get 10 cards from min 22 cards. So there is a always some chance, that even with weaker deck, but with good draw and tactic we can beat opponents with stronger decks.

I agree with all the above posts, I would add that the "bluff" mechanic sets this game apart. You have to plan over three games to win, you can overcome your opponent with good playing more so than in other games IMO. We are already a active community, and I think this is a good place to be..Welcome!

I concur with what everyone has said so far.

There is no way to prevent people googling - Best Deck for x Deck.
We are already building Decks and sharing them on GwentDB or Gwentify.

However, in this game you can easily play wrong. Plays are not as obvious as Hearthstone. Not just anyone could play around Scorchs / Weathers, utilise Decoy combos and Heroes effectively. It's going to take some decent knowledge of opponents to do well.

On the Flip Side, if a deck does become overly good then I would say you could easily build a Deck to combat that.
Scorchs / Weather / Promotion / Commander's Horns / Mushrooms are just as good for everyone.

I don't have any fear.
It's not something CDPR can forsee and I for one don't want them to kneejerk and patch things too quickly. The game should be allowed to breathe.

What is more, there will be a BETA, so people who will get access (I hope I will be among them) should do their best to give CDP RED feedback to let them make Gwent better and better.

As others have said, it's impossible to not make that happen. Googling the best strategy is something that you can do in every game and it will happen with gwent too. What they can do about it though is trying to design the game so that best deck(s) aren't on a ridiculous power level and are at least not completely one-sided to play against. That's what we have the closed beta for to test and i'm sure CDPR will do their absolute best to make gwent as interactive as possible :) I wasn't there in the beginning of hearthstone, but from what i've heard the situation there has gotten a lot better over time, so i'm sure the same will happen with gwent :)

Gwent is bit different game to Hearthstone. You may copy some good decks from youtube etc. but doesn't mean you will be winning all the time...because in Gwent is all about play card in the right moment, pass round in the right moment to win next one, efficient ability to draw cards from your opponent - building advantage in the amount of cards, play smart at the appropriate time.

This is something we'll keep an eye on, but as others have already mentioned, I think that having a great deck won't necessarily mean you're automatically a great Gwent player. Considering you only have access to 10 randomly selected cards from your deck (unless you make use of spies), and those cards need to last three rounds, there's a lot of encouragement to try different strategies.

Last edited:
This is something we'll keep an eye on, but as others have already mentioned, I think that having a great deck won't necessarily mean you're automatically a great Gwent player. Considering you only have access to 10 randomly selected cards from your deck (unless you make use of spies), and those cards need to last three-rounds, there's a lot of encouragement to try different strategies.

Exactly. A great player with a crap deck will probably beat a weak player with an amazing deck. It all comes down to a combination of skill and luck-of-the-draw.

I think that in the end, there will be a lot of players with lets say full set of cards for fraction (for example 200 cards) And they all probably will prepare for example 3-4 very strong different decks within every fraction. And then, I believe, there will be no certain that with this strong decks they will win every match. Because in Gwent the tactic and also the good draw have very important meaning. What is more, even with good draw and deck, there is also possibility to lose because of well prepared opponent's bluff or smart usage of special cards, abilities and so on. In one word, I feel it will be very competitive and balanced game! :>

I think that in the end, there will be a lot of players with lets say full set of cards for fraction (for example 200 cards) And they all probably will prepare for example 3-4 very strong different decks within every fraction. And then, I believe, there will be no certain that with this strong decks they will win every match. Because in Gwent the tactic and also the good draw have very important meaning. What is more, even with good draw and deck, there is also possibility to lose because of well prepared opponent's bluff or smart usage of special cards, abilities and so on. In one word, I feel it will be very competitive and balanced game! :>
That's it. And this is beauty of Gwent.
Fraction may have 100-200 cards and we starting game only with 10 random cards, so is really hard to predict what opponent have on his hand.
And at this point we can count only on our abilities, skills, smart playing or we also may have really bad luck with randomly selected cards and our opponent really lucky. I'm sure there will be plenty of such situations as well.

Fraction may have 100-200 cards and we starting game only with 10 random cards, so is really hard to predict what opponent have on his hand.

Yes, so we only can count on our deck, good draw and of course tactics, which strongly depend on a couple of factors, which I mentioned in another topic about general tactics in Gwent :)

3-4 very strong different decks within every fraction
Being realistic we might have 1-2 decks per faction and a faction no one uses really, it's just the nature of these cards games, look at magic or hearthstone they have 1000's of cards but you still see the same 3-7 everyone plays. You can not stop the meta. People do not like to build decks on there own they would rather copy a good deck then make one on their own..

Originally Posted by burza1982
3-4 very strong different decks within every fraction

Being realistic we might have 1-2 decks per faction and a faction no one uses really, it's just the nature of these cards games, look at magic or hearthstone they have 1000's of cards but you still see the same 3-7 everyone plays. You can not stop the meta. People do not like to build decks on there own they would rather copy a good deck then make one on their own..
You quoted me but I haven't said that :)

Being realistic we might have 1-2 decks per faction and a faction no one uses really,

I disagree. Quantity of decks per fraction depends on number of cards in fraction. And we know that with time, there will be more cards delivered by CDP RED. Utility and possibility of creating different decks within fraction depends on connections and relations between cards in one fraction.

People do not like to build decks on there own they would rather copy a good deck then make one on their own..

It is general statement, but I agree. People in general are lazy, so if the will have enought cards, the will find the most usable decks and use it. I only hope that CDP RED will provide such set of cards, that it will be possible to create for example a couple equal in strenght decks (but based on different strenght/tactic) within one fraction and there will be no "the only and the best way to create (for example) deck in monster fraction"

Last edited:
Top Bottom