A poll for those playing with gamepads, be it consoles or PCs.

+

• Yes, I like it and it should stay the way it is now.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, I don't like it and I agree with the OP's suggestion on how it should work.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • No, I don't like it but I have my own opinion on how it should work (Post in the thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

iCake

Forum veteran

Hello there, guys.

This is no secret we got two additional quick slots for consumable items with the update that paved the way for Hearts of Stone. But the way the devs chose to implement these quick slots... Well, I don't think it was the most efficient solution.

Here's how it works now:
Hold up or down on the D-pad to swap between two pairs of quick slots. Then when the swap is done, tap up or down on the D-pad to use a relevant item.

I personaly think that the simpler, more intuitive and, most importantly, faster way to do this would be if it was like this:

Tap up or down on the D-pad to use consumables placed in the primarary quick slots.
Hold up or down on the D-pad to use consumables in the secondary quick slots.

Not only would it be faster, but also less confusing. Why? Because you'd not have to track which quick slots you have active at the moment.

So what do you guys think about that? Leave your opinion in the poll and in this thread.

Last edited:
I play on PS4 and think the way it is now it's fine. I do like this when you want to switch the potions I usually click L1 first (or whatever button change the sign in other platforms) this slow the time down, then you can change the potions without problem and resume battle without difficulty. I think it's a nice trick.

iCake

Forum veteran
I play on PS4 and think the way it is now it's fine. I do like this when you want to switch the potions I usually click L1 first (or whatever button change the sign in other platforms) this slow the time down, then you can change the potions without problem and resume battle without difficulty. I think it's a nice trick.

Well, if it suits you. I resorted to doing just that, just because it's the only convenient way to deal with 4 potions. But I'm not that fond of this, it really breaks the flow of combat for me.

Having an instant way to use all 4 potions would be the ideal solution. So, the idea in the OP sounds good.
I should be able to make them insta-use as I play on the PC. I'll mess around later and see if there is a better way.

iCake

Forum veteran
C'mon people. It can't be that so little of you play this game with gamepads. At the very least leave your opinion by taking the poll. It only takes so much effort :)

Your way is actually the way I first tried to use it :D It took some time to figure out how it really works. I think the way how that system is now is slow and difficult.

Way... how... now... slow... I'm starting to sound like Dandelion...

iCake

Forum veteran
@Sunsibar

That's why I called my suggestion more intuitive :) In fact, this has been done in countless games before. I mean when a tap and a hold of the same button perform two different actions. I just don't understand why CDPR chose to make this holding a midway and not a final stop.

C'mon people, vote! Maybe it'll get noticed, I hope so. A fat chance though.

P.S. Sounding like Dandelion isn't such a bad thing. He's quite cool if a little light-headed.

I changed my control macros and now have the following set up:
Up = Item Slot 1
Down = Item Slot 2
R2+Up = Item Slot 3
R2+Down = Item Slot 4

My R2 button is unmapped. This allows me to use the R2 button as a shortcut for many things, like:
R2+Triangle = Igni
R2+Square = Yrden
R2+Cross = Quen
R2+Circle = Axii
R2+R1 = Aard

When R2 is not pressed, and I press Cross or Square or R1 by themselves, those buttons then perform their normal functions. So, it's basically losing nothing, but gaining a bunch of shortcuts.

I truly feel that because CDPR aren't that experienced with designing games for a controller (being a PC developer mainly), they just don't understand the importance of shortcut buttons in an ARPG. The fact that they expect people to open the radial menu to change signs, and hold DOWN/UP to switch potions, suggests to me that they don't understand the importance of fluidity in combat. They just don't GET it.

To be honest, I was planning to get this game on the PS4, but when I realised that the consoles would have to deal with the radial menu to change Signs, I cancelled my PS4 order and got the game on PC. Best decision I made. I now can really immerse myself in fluid combat. I believe this has really helped me enjoy the combat system (even tho it needs improvements).

iCake

Forum veteran
@Exentryk

Lucky you. The more I see things like these, the more I regret going with a console this gen. In fact, I already hate this decision.

Top Bottom