A Question About Helmets - Where are the mod slots?

+
This is not about the changes to Mod Slots from prior to 1.5. I think the reduced number makes sense, though I might argue for one more slot in the Outer Torso slot to make for an even ten because I am human and I have an affinity for decimal/base 10. :)

But this isn't about that.

I've noticed that either when finding things through gameplay or resorting to spawning items via a console command I am unable to find helmets with a modification slot. I can put a mod in a basebal cap, flat cap, bandana, etc. but I can't put one in a Kabuto, Veterans Helmet, or many of the other helmets. (Exception being the bunny eared helmets...)

I don't have an entire list here, but it does appear to be that most of the helmets just don't have a space for a mod slot any longer.

I have also noticed some items not having TWO mod slots, for example the craftable netrunner inner torso gear (Legendary craftable) only allows a single mod slot, I sat and crafted over a hundred and every single one, just one mod slot. So I'm fairly certain that this is their maximum, which makes no sense, especially as a legendary recipe you only get for devoting 18+ into your Tech attribute and buying that perk.

I'm hoping that for the next patch/pass they go through their itemization and make sure that _every_ item can have the maximum possible slots for its location. For some quality levels restrict that to super rare or not at all, but anything legendary it should always have the possibility of having the full complement of mod slots.

EDIT - I believe this has to do with a new 'natural' mod built in to these items. For example, natural 'melee damage reduction' built in to helmets. I'm cool with items having a special/built in advantage, but these shouldn't also then restrict us from adding our own enhancement. I would suggest allow us to add an extra, and some items are just a little bit better than others OR allow us to remove the 'built in' mod and replace with our own so we can have the aesthetic look we want and determine our 'mods'.

The Netrunner suit I mention, for example, has a built in 'Quickhack Damage Reduction' but this means it has only ONE mod slot available. Give us _both_ mod slots and justify the 'third' built in as an example of an item of the highest quality.

Basically, stop counting 'inherent' properties of equipment as counting against our available mod slots.

Last edited:
It's the same about some piece of clothes (from memories) ;)
  • Gas mask never have mod slot but poison resistance.
  • Netrunner glasses (except the legendary ones) always have QH realoading time decreased.
  • Bustier always have "deviation" bonus.
  • Occular glasses always have aiming bonus.
  • Bulletproof jacketsalways have attenuation bonus.
  • Netrunner suit always have QHs damages bonus.
In short, some clothe types have assigned "abilities" and no mod slot. These "special" abilities replace one mod slot. So except on outer/inner torso, there is no mod slot remaining.

LeKill3rFou,

Yup - Correct.

Honestly I think these 'built in' mods should just be a bonus for the item type, but not change the number of potential available user modifications.

As players who want an 'aesthetic' for their character, being forced into not using something that looks cool because it breaks their build... just seems needlessly limiting.

If I want to make an Ex-Corpo gal who still prefers netrunning and ranged combat, but also took a cotton to riding a motorcycle after she paired up as a crew with Jackie. she shouldn;t be forced to _only_ get a melee damage reduction from a helmet, but instead gets a small melee damage reduction bonus for wearing a helmet, but can modify that helmet to suit her needs as well.

Inherent bonuses on equipment shouldn't reduce the number of user mod slots available.

LeKill3rFou,

Yup - Correct.

Honestly I think these 'built in' mods should just be a bonus for the item type, but not change the number of potential available user modifications.

As players who want an 'aesthetic' for their character, being forced into not using something that looks cool because it breaks their build... just seems needlessly limiting.

If I want to make an Ex-Corpo gal who still prefers netrunning and ranged combat, but also took a cotton to riding a motorcycle after she paired up as a crew with Jackie. she shouldn;t be forced to _only_ get a melee damage reduction from a helmet, but instead gets a small melee damage reduction bonus for wearing a helmet, but can modify that helmet to suit her needs as well.

Inherent bonuses on equipment shouldn't reduce the number of user mod slots available.
Honestly, I really would prefer if these items won't have any "fixed" abilities but mod slot instead (like before in fact^^). All these abilities should be available as mods (sold or crafted, whatever).
So all clothes could have all type of abilities and could be "good" for everyone :)
In my case, I love bustier, but I can't really use them. As stealth build, I don't care about "deviation". My goal is always to not take any damage :D
Post automatically merged:

Because now, as you can see my stuff is really "mod-slot-less" and I don't really wear what I would like :)
01-04-2022_20-42-00-ycg44x4e.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly, I really would prefer if these items won't have any "fixed" abilities but mod slot instead (like before in fact^^). All these abilities should be available as mods (sold or crafted, whatever).
So all clothes could have all type of abilities and could be "good" for everyone :)
In my case, I love bustier, but I can't really use them. As stealth build, I don't care about "deviation". My goal is always to not take any damage :D
Post automatically merged:

Because now, as you can see my stuff is really "mod-slot-less" and I don't really wear what I would like :)

I get your point, and it was nice to have everything as a blank slate like before, but I se value as well to giving some items a bonus, based on their type/construction/primary use. This way as you are leveling up, and you find something you get a nice little bonus even if it has no mod slots.

But then give these items mod slots as well, with a maximum equaling their current. The inherent bonuses just shouldn't replace the ability to customize.

apart

Forum regular
Hey,
I finally got around to adding them to the wiki. You can find out which specific clothing will be able to get a specific intrinsic modification.

Top Bottom