A question about implants

+
My guess is, early on (maybe even at character creation) the player will need to choose from three major cybernetics, which reflect the three major classes.

Mantis blades -- for solos, obviously.
Some sort of hacking implant -- for netrunners.
I-Have-Literally-No-Idea -- for Techies.

It really depends on what kind of character do you want to build. That's why I hope you could choose between having those mantis blades and maybe something else at the character creation. Especially if then said implants will take away some umanity from you (and since it's a finite resource it would be better if this decision is made by the player)

I'm pretty sure there won't be any obligatory implants at character creation.. maybe some ocular enhancements or things like that since this is a Cyberpunk world your character is in.. but mantis blades? don't think so

If you want to live in NC without implants then I expect you will be an easy target for organ harvesters unless you pay a lot for protection.

If you want to live in NC with implants then i expect you will be a target for those going after a different type of harvester unless you pay a lot for implants that allow you to protect yourself.

Yep. I have full faith in CDPR, but I'll admit, even my optimism is going to take a slight (SLIGHT!) hit if the player can simply fill their body with metal and electronics with impunity. That would be incredibly immersion breaking, for me.

"Oh, NPCs can go crazy, but you can't, because you are The Chosen One™!"

Considering what I've seen players do without any 'ware at all, I question how harmful cyberware is to the psyche compared to the detachment you get from being a player controlling a character instead of having the 'ware implanted into one's own body.

That said, I somehow suspect that the amount of metal you implant will affect interactions with NPCs in CP2077 rather more dramatically than in many other games. Excessive cyberware may not have a huge effect on those who plan to run around like a gun-toting psychopath anyways, but for those that plan on being slightly more sociable (for instance, those who want to negotiate fees for killing specific people), it may be wise to dial it back a little. So it might be self-limitng even if there are no biological or technical limitations.

i had a think about having a Humanity score and i believe it could & should be in the game as it adds to the experience while providing immersive 'soft' limitations to the player.
(as opposed to hard limitations that other systems would do; 'you can't have that your not high enough level' or its not available to you yet' type thing is very unimmersive and anti-cyberpunk ).

How i see it working.
  • Humanity is a 7th stat listed under other stats on your character screen.
  • Adding Cyberwear lowers your humanity permanently, drugs lower your humanity temporarily.
  • At anytime between major scenes you can take medication which increases your Humanity slightly or get therapy which increases your humanity a lot but a week or so of time passes (so its not always available). This time loss has no effect on major story arcs but may affect side-quests.
  • Before installing major cyberwear, the Doc (if he's nice... most ripperdocs aren't) will ask you if your sure?

• The lower your humanity the less social options become available (adjustments to the degree of V's social options is already in the game so that's not hard to do, this is just another factor)
  • The lower your humanity the more it changes 'background NPC' comments; passerby's say that "you too jacked, man" type stuff.
  • The lower your humanity strangely the more Cops you see around..... (could be real.., could be you just notice them more often)
  • The lower your humanity the more medical staff (such as Trauma Team or ripperdocs) become nervous around you.
  • The lower your humanity the more NPC Solos (bodyguards etc) become twitchy... hands never far from their weapons.
  • The lower your humanity the more background NPCs avoid you, even run away if its low enough.
  • The lower you humanity the more companions ask; "are you ok choomba?, maybe you should take a night off"
Note that: the 'lower your humanity' stuff isn't due to the amount of cyberwear but rather your demeanor, are you responsible with your cyberwear. You could be cybered up to your eyeballs but if your humanity is good no one cares (probably even praise you)!

• When you do finally snap (cyberpsychosis) everything gets a red tinge, blood splatters increasingly cover the screen till it goes black (this can't happen in major scenes) the sounds of gunfire, screams and 'squelching' fades to the sound of birds and waves. Blackness fades to blue and green of a beach scene playing on a holo-vid as your lying in a hospital bed. The time tells you that a few weeks have passed.
    A quick check tells you that your bank account is empty and half your cyberwear is gone to pay for the therapy (loss of cyberwear is from the biggest non-story line pieces down). The passage of time doesn't affect major story arcs but may affect side-stories. Yet your Humanity is reset to default.
This is not a path that artificially restricts the player, this is a consequence of actions (as the Dev's have clearly said everything you do has consequences in CP2077). At any stage you the player can avoid or change this coarse of action by paying for medication or therapy. If you get to cyberpsychosis and the resulting loss of time & gear ITS YOUR FAULT!

While this maybe fiddly to put in the game from a programming perspective its certainly not impossible and its far more impressive than "you can do this your not high enough level" type crap.

Last edited:
My question would be why would anyone NOT want hidden blades that come out of your forearms.. well.. unless you can have guns coming out of your forearms

In simplest, most straighforward terms, because they look silly and require fully prosthetic arms. Neither of which I want for my character.

In simplest, most straighforward terms, because they look silly and require fully prosthetic arms. Neither of which I want for my character.

It's all good..i was joking.. it's perfectly fine if you don't want them even if a lot of cyberpunk renditions featured weaponized forearms one way or another..from what was said i think more "purist" players won't be forced to have them.

I seem to recall that cyberpsychosis doesn't always manifest the same way for everyone (I'll admit I might be confusing CP2020 with another cyberpunk RPG on this point). Someone going postal because of having too much hardware is bound to make the headlines, unlike the guy who starts to think that they're a robot and simply begins to behave like an emotionless machine. Since the former case is likely the one that would have the most impact on society it makes sense that it's the form of cyberpsychosis that gets the most attention - both in the game world and in the game rules.

Look, your metal fetish is cute and all, but let's not forget the time I found you trying to seduce a toaster....

First, it was really more of a waffle-iron/toaster. Credit where credit is due, I aim high.

Second...yeah, actually I got nothing.

...droool....

Thanks for the info!

Well, seems a cyberfree playthru isn't an option.

Could be the cyberware equivalent of an iphone. Everybody just has a phone, even non-techy people (like my dad). Something basic that is necessary for interfacing with everyday aspects of the world.

Could be the cyberware equivalent of an iphone. Everybody just has a phone, even non-techy people (like my dad). Something basic that is necessary for interfacing with everyday aspects of the world.
I don't have, or particularly desire to have, one.

Hello community!

I never played CP2020, only googled a few infos.
I found that there are "bioware" implants, which just improve your natural tissue and don't change your outer appearance much.
If I wanted to play a character that could still blend into our current world without raising too much attention, would it keep me from being a powerful combatant?

My question is mostly about PnP CP2020, as we don't have too much info about the upcoming video game.
Still, I'm also curious how much a "no chrome" approach will limit you in CP2077.
To specify, the two artworks for "V" in this thread still look mostly human to me, but I would hate if the game forced you to look like a Borg on higher levels.

Ideally, the game would allow both ways of progression to be viable (with a reasonable power advantage for "Borgs") and make NPC's react to it.
Constant hard decisions between humanity and power seem like a great narrative and gameplay element.
What do you expect?

Top Bottom