A Rant

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we are actually getting an expansion for Cyberpunk 2077 and stuff getting patches and free DLC to improve the game experience.

However, currently, it's going to be the only major expansion which CD Red confirmed, this is ultimately heartbreaking and disappointing. While yes, it's completely understandable. The game launch was a complete and utter disaster, with false advertisements, broken promises and being deceitful.
The quicker they can move past what has become a plague the CEOs created for the devs and community. The quicker they can make something they know they can't f**k up, we'll forgive them and forget everything that happened! It'll be like the good ol' glory days! Yeah, no, we're looking at CD Red in a much more critical aspect in future. You can say "we changed for the better, trust us!" I won't ever trust you until proven to the community you actually changed for the better.

I wanted to ignore the news about things not going well, and people's doubts, I always thought to myself "Why would CD Red lie? What would they gain? it'd ruin their reputation and lose respect, they'd never do something so stupid."
Man, I wish I actually listened. Then all the stories came from the toxic environment, poor staff treatment, and deception.
I adored Witcher 3, one of the greatest video games ever made, I gave so much trust, and appreciation and would literally suck their salted peanuts and try and get others to play Witcher 3.
So much so that I decided to pre-order Cyberpunk 2077 when I had the chance, I haven't pre-ordered a game since WatchDogs. Because I trusted CD Red, because they gave enough reasons to. And the promises of them not being like EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Bethesda etc.
Oh, how ironic that sounds, doesn't it? I honestly could hear the higher-ups of those companies laugh their arses off seeing the launch of 2077.

But, Marcin Iwiński did make an apology video and asked the devs shouldn't be blamed, the higher-ups like himself should. Yes, you are to blame. Still to this day, the devs have to pay because of your arrogance, pride, and mistreatment.
Did Marcin Iwiński watch Todd Howard and Fallout 76? Was he inspired by the words "It's not how you launch, it's what it becomes"? Because that's exactly how 2077 is doing. Literally, they became the thing they fought against.
I'd love to ask him, straight up "Why should we trust you again?"

Yes, Cyberpunk 2077 is a much better experience than it was at launch, the updates have greatly improved the quality of the title. I was able to enjoy the story and the characters and amaze myself seeing Night City realised from the RPG book. Panam is the love of my V's life. These are really good things, and glad they're making the expansion and still supporting with patches and free DLC. But, it didn't have to be like this, if the devs were allowed more time to make the game they were confident in releasing without the management messing it all up, could've been having a 2nd expansion right now. A year of delay could've made a massive difference.
But alas, we won't see Cyberpunk until 2050s since they're doing Witcher and heard they got other projects.

I really wish the best for the devs' future and hope they have a better work environment and management doesn't screw them over, again.

I'm not in the business of invalidating people's emotions. If you're irritated about it, then you're irritated about it.

However, I don't quite understand what the rant is about. Is it that we're only getting one expansion? Seems to me that one is better than zero.

Or is it that the company messed up in the first place, and that initial mess has put us in the position of only having one expansion? If so, then it seems futile to be irritated about it, because it's a two year old mistake. The effects of that mistake carry through to the present day, but the company has worked hard to minimize those consequences by improving the game. Given that the mistake was made though, ongoing impacts on the overall development of the game weren't avoidable.

Or is it that if they had delayed the game instead of releasing it when they did, we'd have more expansions? If so, then I'm not sure that logic is sound. With all the time they've put into getting the game into good shape, it's likely that if they had kept to their traditional "it's ready when it's ready" mantra, the game probably would have been released only recently, and they'd still be in bug-squashing mode. I don't think we'd have any expansions yet. Presumably the new Witcher game was already on their development board, so I'm skeptical that they would have pushed that project back another couple of years, to spend more time developing additional expansions for CP2077.

I could understand a rant about the expansion not being on last-gen consoles (although I think I understand and agree with their decision not to do that), or a rant that even after all this time, too many things in the game just aren't right. From the rest of your post, you seem satisfied with the way the game has progressed. Like I said; if you're irritated, then you're irritated, and I don't devalue that. But given that you're happy with the current state of the game, it seems a bit of a waste of emotional energy to dwell on consequences of old mistakes that can't be changed now.

As per the statements of the vice president of CDPR or someone related to the company to investors, the franchise will continue to have investments. Other than that, nothing is known. Could it be in the game? I believe that many patches will still come ahead for CP 2077, other related materials could, in theory, also happen. Other sequels to the game, who knows? Lets see.

In the Sci fi Cyberpunk genre, there is nothing to fill the lack of this medium (genre), yet. CP 2077, in my view, didn't achieve that - still: a living world, rpg, immersive, adult (adult themes or stories that 'mark').

Eve Online just can't do it - and they tried - because CCP's focus is on 'war' (that's why in 2017 they abandoned some projects related to 3rd person games and 'retired' some game modules - Capitain Headquarters).

I'm not in the business of invalidating people's emotions. If you're irritated about it, then you're irritated about it.
However, I don't quite understand what the rant is about. Is it that we're only getting one expansion? Seems to me that one is better than zero.
Very well, but more of the fact that it was promised to be two expansions and not one. One is better than zero, but two is better than one as well. But it was yet another lie.
Or is it that the company messed up in the first place, and that initial mess has put us in the position of only having one expansion? If so, then it seems futile to be irritated about it, because it's a two year old mistake. The effects of that mistake carry through to the present day, but the company has worked hard to minimize those consequences by improving the game. Given that the mistake was made though, ongoing impacts on the overall development of the game weren't avoidable.
I find it hard to believe when the higher-ups knew the game was not ready for launch and would be a buggy mess, even the devs knew 2020 wasn't realistic at all. The Higher-ups knew exactly what they were doing by releasing it in its state and withholding last gen reviews because they knew how bad it was.
Yes, the devs did their hardest to make the game playable at all
Or is it that if they had delayed the game instead of releasing it when they did, we'd have more expansions? If so, then I'm not sure that logic is sound. With all the time they've put into getting the game into good shape, it's likely that if they had kept to their traditional "it's ready when it's ready" mantra, the game probably would have been released only recently, and they'd still be in bug-squashing mode. I don't think we'd have any expansions yet. Presumably the new Witcher game was already on their development board, so I'm skeptical that they would have pushed that project back another couple of years, to spend more time developing additional expansions for CP2077.
I don't really understand how delaying a game to ensure the major bugs, glitches and performance isn't sound. Again, the devs knew 2020 wasn't realistic and they needed more time to have the game in a good state, it would've taken a year or two but the major bugs would've been addressed and they could focus on the smaller bugs and the team could've had an easier time delivering content for a year or two instead of having those 2 years make their game play as it should've in 2020. Witcher 3, yeah, it had bugs and some glitches at launch but since the game was in a good state, they addressed those.
And yeah, I think we had a feeling a new Witcher would be on the way after Cyberpunk. I'd like to think they would work in the background as they delivered content for Cyberpunk 2077 until going full production after a 2nd expansion with some working on the rest of the free DLC.
I could understand a rant about the expansion not being on last-gen consoles (although I think I understand and agree with their decision not to do that), or a rant that even after all this time, too many things in the game just aren't right. From the rest of your post, you seem satisfied with the way the game has progressed. Like I said; if you're irritated, then you're irritated, and I don't devalue that.
I admit last gen not getting the expansion is completely understandable. The game wasn't really meant to run on last-gen in my opinion, I am amazed it can but it does push their limits. But, not a lot own a PS5/Series X/S (runs amazing on Series S actually)
But given that you're happy with the current state of the game, it seems a bit of a waste of emotional energy to dwell on consequences of old mistakes that can't be changed now.
While I am happy with the state of the game, a much better place than it was 2 years ago. It just didn't have to be like this when it could've been avoided or at least not as bad by either delaying it a year or being more upfront about the state of the game.
I think my emotions have finally run out after posting this topic, if CD Red taught me a valuable lesson in all this, never pre-order games again XP

Very well, but more of the fact that it was promised to be two expansions and not one. One is better than zero, but two is better than one as well. But it was yet another lie.
Hum... Just for my own knowledge, could you indicate me where and when CDPR "promised" to provide two expansions ?
(they announced that they will follow the same "path" than TW3 for DLC and expansions, but I don't remember that they "promised" anything... but I could be wrong...)
I don't really understand how delaying a game to ensure the major bugs, glitches and performance isn't sound.
If it was like Kingdom Come Deliverance at time, WarHorse didn't have any funds/money to develop the game further (in short to fix the bugs which were "legion" at release^^). So in short, they had to release the game in the current state (with bugs...) or scrap it :)
So ideally it's good to postpone the release of the game, but only if you have enough money to still work on it...

Last edited:
Looking back, I misinterpreted the original messaging. Looking deep CD Red mentioned one planned expansion.
I saw others mention a 2nd expansion online but never delved too deeply on that matter or whatever I did hear was disinformation spreaded.
My mistake on that part.

For smaller studios, it's more understanding they can't afford a delay. But I always felt the game ran well and did a good job being a 'realistic Skyrim'

CD Red was more valued if that's a thing than Unisoft. And they had income from Gwent, barely played it but know you can buy card packs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom