A reasonable explanation for everything that went wrong?

+
Deleted a few posts. This forum is not a place for content whose sole intent is to "expose" or hurl accusations, especially without 100% reliable sources.

There will be no reason/solution we will be satisfied with unless CDPR tells us on their own. So far, it looks like it was a mixup of different issues that came at same time and that demanded better management but that was missing. I am really hoping some dev/member of CDPR will provide insight in near future. I think that's what even UEG concluded in his video.

There will be no reason/solution we will be satisfied with unless CDPR tells us on their own. So far, it looks like it was a mixup of different issues that came at same time and that demanded better management but that was missing. I am really hoping some dev/member of CDPR will provide insight in near future. I think that's what even UEG concluded in his video.

Well I wouldn't be satisfied (or made convinced) if CDPR explained it because we know their interest in defending a vision of the company.
I'm not saying anything with this post except question when did we all become so faithful in corporations? "Their statements are Official!!"
Nowadays people spot a good independent journalist or any kind of report coming from people without money in the game (without anything to gain or lose with their argumentation) and prefer to believe the people with the most money in the game.

Then I misunderstood. I looked at the title of this thread and the name of the vid in the OP, which I only saw a part of, that I thought that they asked why Cyberpunk launched the way it did. I didn't watch the entire vid because in the beginning they showed issues that have long since been mended.

So, was of the assumption that they still play on the first versions of the game where those issues are still present.

I disagree with the vid suggesting Cyberpunk 2077 being a failure because, CDPR said that they were very satisfied with Cyberpunk's current state back in 1.3, some saying that cyberpunk 2077 serves as a "Money-printer" for CDPR till this day, and to my logical sense, no game dev-team would ever bother with an expansion for a failed IP.

So no, without having watched it entirely, don't think the vid can serve as a "reasonable explanation".

This is so true. However, am of the opinion that the troublesome launch of Cyberpunk 2077, was caused by Covid and Covid alone.

If you would ask me as to the reasoning behind, poor management decisions, (which I disagree with, with all due respect), Covid 19, poor QA, biting off more than they could chew, too ambitious, reaching the limit of the game's budget, I would mention 1 reason; Covid 19.

The moment Covid hit, that is to say the first governmental order pronounced to work from home among others, development of any ongoing project at the time, was not so much delayed, but came to a full stop, at least in my country. That lasted for a couple of days. All offices were closed, construction sites stopped working, nonessential stores closed.

It is then that any management needs to take drastic measures to make sure the project can proceed. That means management needs to improvise. Those decisions can be very controversial. In Cyberpunk's case, they turned up very good decisions, as the game ended up successful and most importantly, the team intact. (Hench why I think poor management decisions weren't at play here).

Only when a development team is united, can there be good QA. Since the team was dispersed, QA was pretty much nonexistent. As a team, you can do the most unimaginable and ambitious things, but not on your own. So chances are those projects in the game that explicitly asked for such devs-skills had to wait. Those projects then need to be made inaccessible for the vanilla player.

But since QA was pretty much nonexistent, inaccessibility measures could often be bypassed pretty easily and you could access those jobs/gigs, execute them in a way that was not intended, if you went astray from the book. Was apparent a lot in the first couple of versions. This is what I think bit CDPR in the butt most of the time.

When the development budget is depleted, you have no choice but to launch. The project must now earn money to finance its further development. Only, the project sustained a substantial delay. It was in fact not ready to launch.

So they postponed it, twice, to get it ready to launch. We all know how that went.

Now if you sit down and think about this for as far you found it accurate, and ask how all this came about, I come only to 1 conclusion: Covid 19.

*cough* Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker.. *cough* developed, tested, and released during covid

*cough* Final Fantasy XIV Endwalker.. *cough* developed, tested, and released during covid
jipp - the most successful mmorpg xpac ever seen which boosted FF14 over WoW as most played/successful MMO around. but yeah its impossible to deliver great work in covid-times... the only trouble endwalker brought was the server cap and que-times of hrs. Being toooo successful. Server were flooded by new accounts that much that Square Enix decided to stop selling any further digital lisences for the game by themselves and blocked the option to create accounts on the most famous server until they fixed/extanded the server capacity.

Last edited:
There were more than a few large video game projects released in 2020 that came away successfully, so saying Covid is a root cause is misleading. A poorly executed/managed project is still that. CV simply put the nail in the coffin as far as workflow and collaboration - it was a contributing factor, but not the root cause.

Endwalker, while absolutely great and spending a far greater portion of it's development (almost all of it) during the pandemic than CP2077 did, is still just an expansion. It builds upon what's already there. It doesn't require being built from the ground up. The foundation for it was also extraordinarily solid.

Don't get me wrong, I still agree that COVID isn't to blame entirely for CP2077's early woes as I've made clear before. Anyone with experience in large, multi-year projects knows there is never just one reason to blame it all on if things go wrong. There is rarely only one reason even when smaller projects go wrong in fact. All I'm saying is that it's not a fair comparison.

Last edited:
Happen to come from that game... Hated it.

Full of invisible walls, loads of places you're forbidden to explore, (Because of reasons), and simply changing a single hair on your character cost €15.00. Not mentioning the type of other players you had to play together with to accomplish anything.

I take it Endwalker to be an expansion.

Expansions are always build on preexisting foundations. FFXIV wasn't build during Covid, and the first time it launched, SE was forced to take it offline, because the game was wholly unplayable, (official statement), wholly nonmonetizable, (seemingly real reason).

In essence, a very bad launch, much worse then Cyberpunk, which was NOT necessary to be taken offline.

In my total of some 18 subbed months, I experienced loads of 90001, 90002, and other codes, CTD errors, on the PS3, and later on the PS4. At least once a month, and sometimes more days when a hotfix was needed, I could not even play the game due to server maintenance, where the game is unavailable, while I do pay to play.

At no time did I ever receive any form of compensation for those down times.

In all, I paid almost €260.00 for a game, that I couldn't play for at least 2 years, I cannot play anymore, unless I pay for it yet again.

And all that rubbish is now to be compared with Cyberpunk 2077?!? Really!?

I have paid €60.00 for Cyberpunk 2077 till now, and am still able to play it. Sure, it CTDs from time to time, but that's only because I am forcing the game to do things it was never designed for. Any game would CTD in that case.

But the game plays fine for me and having lots a fun playing it. On my accounts its launch is a thing of the past.

Happen to come from that game... Hated it.

Full of invisible walls, loads of places you're forbidden to explore, (Because of reasons), and simply changing a single hair on your character cost €15.00. Not mentioning the type of other players you had to play together with to accomplish anything.

not true - although there is a Mog-Store for glam and other stuff. you dont need a single penny to change hair or glam ingame. there are millions of gear parts you can obtain without real money, as haircuts as well. as for the need of "other players", se created a main campaign you can play totally SOLO without any other human player - way before Endwalker.

not sure why you spread such rumors about a world class mmo, which makes things right.

not true - although there is a Mog-Store for glam and other stuff. you dont need a single penny to change hair or glam ingame. there are millions of gear parts you can obtain without real money, as haircuts as well. as for the need of "other players", se created a main campaign you can play totally SOLO without any other human player - way before Endwalker.

not sure why you spread such rumors about a world class mmo, which makes things right.

I assume @Bartinga2077 hasn't played FFXIV in a long time. Doesn't negate everything you've just said but I assume he's operating on old and obsolete information.

There used to be a time where what he said was true. I remember not being able to swim in FFXIV after all which was just weird for an MMO but isn't true anymore.

I assume @Bartinga2077 hasn't played FFXIV in a long time. Doesn't negate everything you've just said but I assume he's operating on old and obsolete information.

There used to be a time where what he said was true. I remember not being able to swim in FFXIV after all which was just weird for an MMO but isn't true anymore.
I also remember ARR I knew where the game is coming from but since Endwalker was the topic it’s like comparing W3 launch with B&W.

Endwalker is gorgeous <3

I wasn't talking about gear, I was talking about hair. You had to pay with real life currency if you wanted to change your hair. Not sure why you get gear into the picture where we both know could be acquired by simply playing the game, whereas changing your hair or anything else on your character, you had to pay with real money for.

If you're saying that's different today, I say, good for them, as SE couldn't care less about their own player base's suggestions, compared to the Reds who DO care.

As for the solo part, last time I saw, you couldn't start that before reaching lvl 50. So on an MMO, which Cyberpunk 2077 isn't, you're at all times obliged to play with others to achieve anything. I'm not planning to go the way of the dodo telling of my experiences with other players on that game.

Last edited:
I wasn't talking about gear, I was talking about hair. You had to pay with real life currency if you wanted to change your hair. Not sure why you get gear into the picture where we both know could be acquired by simply playing the game, whereas changing your hair or anything else on your character, you had to pay with real money for.

If you're saying that's different today, I say, good for them, as SE couldn't care less about their own player base's suggestions, compared to the Reds who DO care.

As for the solo part, last time I saw, you couldn't start that before reaching lvl 50. So on an MMO, which Cyberpunk 2077 isn't, you're at all times obliged to play with others to achieve anything. I'm not planning to go the way of the dodo telling of my experiences with other players on that game.

your picture of SE and the FF14 community is totally outdated...

you dont need to pay for a hair change - and you never needed to it was always free. you seem to confound the fantasia which you can buy in a store to change your chars race which cost real money and is total optional but doesn't have anything to do with the ingame hairstyle npc feature.

further more SE cares a lot of their playerbase - its not out of nothing that FF14 community compared to other online communities isn't toxic. The community loves each other and they love Yoshi-P big times. And this wouldn't be the case if either SE or the Comm would not care each other.

for the main campaign - the mainstory is written and progged for Solo-Play with NPCs since Heavens Ward (3x Xpacs before Endwalker) - while your call of experience with lvl 50 is nearly a ten years old cap from A Realm Reborn. Ten years ago has nothing to do with the current state of the game - a LOT has changed for the better which results in its current image being the most played, most loved MMO today.

In no offense - but your calls clearly don't show either the games state nor the bond between SE and their comm.

Last edited:
your picture of SE and the FF14 community is totally outdated...

you dont need to pay for a hair change - and you never needed to it was always free. you seem to confound the fantasia which you can buy in a store to change your chars race which cost real money and is total optional but doesn't have anything to do with the ingame hairstyle npc feature.

further more SE cares a lot of their playerbase - its not out of nothing that FF14 community compared to other online communities isn't toxic. The community loves each other and they love Yoshi-P big times. And this wouldn't be the case if either SE or the Comm would not care each other.

for the main campaign - the mainstory is written and progged for Solo-Play with NPCs since Heavens Ward (3x Xpacs before Endwalker) - while your call of experience with lvl 50 is nearly a ten years old cap from A Realm Reborn. Ten years ago has nothing to do with the current state of the game - a LOT has changed for the better which results in its current image being the most played, most loved MMO today.

In no offense - but your calls clearly don't show either the games state nor the bond between SE and their comm.

While I agree with what you've said, FF14's community truly is one of the best ones out there and the idea of saying SE doesn't care about the FF14 community after they literally pulled down the game and spent two years rebuilding it to please their community and have since spent a decade expanding and adding community requests is laughable at best.

I still have this slight correction, and maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but the aesthetician was added in patch 2.1 to allow hair changes. That patch was released in December 2013. I don't remember any way to change your hair style before that. Assuming I'm remembering correctly, it's possible @Bartinga2077 never saw it.

He's still dissing on an amazing game based on very outdated information but you get the point.

It wouldn't be the way it was if it were few, simple, reasonable things. IMHO it was a ton of bigger and smaller factors that came together resulting in something a kin to mass hysteria.

If i had to guess the biggest part was Covid 19. But not as obstacle to development. More as a general effect on society. People were struggling - loosing jobs, even relatives, enduring lock-downs, new legal requirements, market shortages and uncertainty while going trough long, dull winter with no events. This set the background for extraordinary interest, expectations and easily irritable public eager to consume best, biggest escape from reality of last decade. Don't have to be genius to see how this can easily turn disastrous, regardless of specific details.
So add anything, from unavailability of appropriate hardware on market, newcomers who never did W3 and expect upgrade of their previous open world go-to game style, pressure to release exactly then and you get all that pent up frustration pouring out in buckets.
I'm not saying the game didn't have problems, but the perception was skewed. E.g. if we talk about bugs, specifically those we see in videos, mishaps, visuals, not the ones where people had crashes - anything like that 5 years ago and people would brag about them making entertaining blooper videos. Come covid, and it's all doom and gloom and how everything is broken to the core.

P.S. anyone know if the old accounts are lost after introducing GOG login in forum? Can't find any info...

Last edited:
A lot, I mean a lot went wrong with the release of CP77 and still few take responsibility
I'm always curious about what people like you really want to hear? I mean, what's your endgame about their "responsibility" ? What should CDPR do (that they haven't done yet) to make amends? Or are you just venting and calling people with different experiences / mindsets as "fanboys" ?

Well, **my** reasonable explanation will always be : "going cross-gen". it should have been made for decent PCs, XSX / PS5, that's it.

I'm always curious about what people like you really want to hear? I mean, what's your endgame about their "responsibility" ? What should CDPR do (that they haven't done yet) to make amends? Or are you just venting and calling people with different experiences / mindsets as "fanboys" ?

I have to admit, I'm also very curious about that. Especially after all this time.

I have to admit, I'm also very curious about that. Especially after all this time.
Well I for one would like to see that. Not because of hurt feelings or any similar reason but because I like CDPR. And I like their games. To hone responsability for their mistakes means that they truly understand what went wrong and want to change it. Not only that, admiting to one's mistakes shows courage and determination on transparency going forward. Because if you admit a mistake that situation can be called upon later and there's no denying it happened. It's easy for a public company to not admit to mistakes, only say they will change and when confronted with a past situation just go "there's no evidence that happened".
Cyberpunk came out broken and unfinished. Not just bugs, not just horrible performance on last Gen; incomplete systems, math mistakes in damage calculation and those sorts of things, no recognition of Vs choices, or the order player does things (this is still happening, like certain dialogues about a character V kills as if they just spoke to them),...
And all this work still to be done at the 3rd release date (first one was pre-covid and pre-next gen) from a company that calls itself (and I agree they can be) perfectionist. To be perfectionist is to go down to the detail. This game was far from done, especially on a perfectionist basis.
This means there had to be serious management problems that were never recognized with the strength they should.

I do believe CDPR got so used to being the sweet ones on PR situations they just can't come out and be, "we fucked up. This is how we are going about fixing it". They just isolated themselves in their corner and when they talk to players it's from this high horse still. It's not natural, because it wasn't resolved.

I can't watch any of these CDPR public streams (except the 1.5 patch with the CP devs). It's like they create different formats to be complementing each other/themselves.

Top Bottom