A reasonable explanation for everything that went wrong?

+
Just can't fathom why they did it like this. This dev-team's policy has always been that if a game asset doesn't work for whatever reason, it is suppose to be cut off. Now all of a sudden they decided to let this one through. Puzzling...

Did Support say that it was intended?
If I'm right, it's intended (I need to search, but I believe someone confirmed it). I have a hard time to believe that is a bug, knowing that in happen on PS4 and XB1 in the exact same way.

But "maybe" (and I say "maybe"), they added the whole iguana "thing" on all platforms but unfortunately, when the egg hatched on PS4/XB1, you were losting 5 FPS in the apartment... Knowing that you have 30FPS at max on XB1/PS4, it's a fair amount. So these 5 FPS, they probably search to gain them somewhere else, but were unable to do it at time. So while waiting the next update, they simply remove the "timer".
I'm sure that they still working to improve optimize the game on PS4/XB1, so I suppose it won't be a problem in the next update :)

Edit :
I found the post, and the bowl to hatch the egg don't spawn on XB1/PS4 (which does not change much in the end^^)
According to Paweł Sasko, so we could reasonably consider that as "officiel", I suppose :)
According to quest director Paweł Sasko on one of his many Twitch streams, the ability to hatch the egg is unfortunately not possible on PS4/Xbox One platforms due to memory limitations.

Last edited:
Just can't fathom why they did it like this. This dev-team's policy has always been that if a game asset doesn't work for whatever reason, it is suppose to be cut off. Now all of a sudden they decided to let this one through. Puzzling...

Did Support say that it was intended?
They did reply, but only to say that it was being looked into. I assume that the features (Iguana & animations) were intended as it's still possible for V to pick up the egg at Konpeki, so perhaps for whatever reason these features weren't able to be implemented in time for the update, maybe we'll see next patch.

If I'm right, it's intended (I need to search, but I believe someone confirmed it). I have a hard time to believe that is a bug, knowing that in happen on PS4 and XB1 in the exact same way.

But "maybe" (and I say "maybe"), they added the whole iguana "thing" on all platforms but unfortunately, when the egg hatched on PS4/XB1, you were losting 5 FPS in the apartment... Knowing that you have 30FPS at max on XB1/PS4, it's a fair amount. So these 5 FPS, they probably search to gain them somewhere else, but were unable to do it at time. So while waiting the next update, they simply remove the "timer".
I'm sure that they still working to improve optimize the game on PS4/XB1, so I suppose it won't be a problem in the next update :)

Edit :
I found the post, and the bowl to hatch the egg don't spawn on XB1/PS4 (which does not change much in the end^^)
According to Paweł Sasko, so we could reasonably consider that as "officiel", I suppose :)
Thanks for clearing that up. Makes you wonder as to how much memory the hatching of the iguana actually needs.

Not that much I imagine, but I suppose on XB1 and PS4, they already "play" with the limit so it doesn't take much for it to be "too much" :(
So i kinda read up on the specs for the xbox and so on. Its kinda accepted that they have 5 gb of memory too really use for example. The differance with the one x is pretty big when it comes too memory size and so on so i can kinda se them being very limited on oldgen non X editions. Also it would require cpu cycles too keep track off it. perhaps if they shortened the hatching period drasticaly it would be easier too do. Also the pet will require some cycles and memory too.

Im guessing the platform is just at its limits, unless they can optimise it more but it should pretty much be done already too the extent that they can. The AI is also pretty telling on this issue, both cpu+memory usage would rise with it enabled. Probably not by that much but its noticeble.

It will be interesting too see what happends with the expansion on the old gen tbh. I have a feeling they might have too disable stuff IF it changes AI in some way or adds new mechanics that will tax the system even more.. i kinda hope they dont have too do that tbh. Sucks when some editions gets more content/systems then others...

Not that much I imagine, but I suppose on XB1 and PS4, they already "play" with the limit so it doesn't take much for it to be "too much" :(
It will be interesting too see what happends with the expansion on the old gen tbh. I have a feeling they might have too disable stuff IF it changes AI in some way or adds new mechanics that will tax the system even more.. i kinda hope they dont have too do that tbh. Sucks when some editions gets more content/systems then others...

Personally I'm wondering if the choice wasn't made so that old-gen could accommodate the expansion.

As in, the consoles are already being pushed to their limits as it is but maybe there is enough left for something as trivial as the iguana egg or even for the improvements to AI. Thing is that would take all of what's left leaving nothing for the expansion.

I like to think that's what we're seeing here. Because let's be real, if there isn't any resources left for the iguana egg, I doubt there is any for the expansion. Leaving old-gen out of the expansion altogether would definitely kick up a big o'l storm again. I'm hoping I'm right and CDPR is just working around the fact they want to release the expansion on old-gen. I'd hate to see all these players left behind even if it doesn't affect me.

Personally I'm wondering if the choice wasn't made so that old-gen could accommodate the expansion.

As in, the consoles are already being pushed to their limits as it is but maybe there is enough left for something as trivial as the iguana egg or even for the improvements to AI. Thing is that would take all of what's left leaving nothing for the expansion.

I like to think that's what we're seeing here. Because let's be real, if there isn't any resources left for the iguana egg, I doubt there is any for the expansion. Leaving old-gen out of the expansion altogether would definitely kick up a big o'l storm again. I'm hoping I'm right and CDPR is just working around the fact they want to release the expansion on old-gen. I'd hate to see all these players left behind even if it doesn't affect me.
Its not impossible this is what there doing. But at the same time if its just a story expansion it would not tax the system more or less then it does already. Draw distance and so on compensate for alot of the load in the world. Like i said would depend on what the expansions actually contain so pure speculation atm :D

Maybe :)
I guess CDPR hasn't decided to remove the iguana (and the new knives/katanas animations) from the "old gen" version with a smile and still hope to be able to add it in the next update after more "optimizations" (the reason why the egg is always present).
I imagine something like "Crap...! We have to disable it for now or players will have chances to crash when entering in the appartement... It sucks"

However, in my opinion, I suppose it was clear that the "old gen" consoles wouldn't be able to handle the new AIs behaviour. Knowing that it possible and easy to create a real mayhem in areas which are already "heavy" for old gen consoles, like the markets. Areas where I experimented almost all of my crashes, at release on XB1x (crashes probably already due to a "limited memory" too^^)

But I agree, it sucks when some players don't have the same content due "hardware", for the same game. So I still hope that CDPR will add the iguana and the new animations in the 1.6 on old gen (no chance for the new AI behaviour in my opinion^^).
Fingers crossed that I will be right :)

The Iguana, the new katana and knife animations (the first time you hold them) and the new civilians behavior (improved crowd reaction) are not available on old gen, I think that's all.
Yeah tht was it indeed.
But current DLCs and "futur" DLCs/expansion will be available on "old-gen", no doubt :)
Lets hope so.
While I do have a PC copy of the game which can run decently, Ivastly prefer playing these types of games from my lazy couch on an extra big TV screen :giveup:

The project appears to be mismanaged. Pawel said the reason for the lack of Interactive police chases etc. was due to technical limitations, how can this be true if GTA was doing it in the mid 2000s?

I dont understand why a $300m development over 8 years has technical limitations to this degree. The whole scenario does not add up. Why is this game so processor taxing? The graphics are good but not exceptional to the point you would accept a lack of meaningful and neccesary mechanics and it surely cannot be the AI.

Metal Gear 5 cost $80m and released in 2015, this game produced open world AI and freedom which makes CP2077 look foolish.

This game is at its best when the game is on rails and has isolated linear missions. Everything in the open world is lackluster and purely filler. This was advertised as a truly next gen rpg open world experience, it simply isnt that and no patch, dlc or expansion will help. You will be getting more of the same.

All Pawel wants to talk about is environmental story telling and other trivial things which are expected as a passive element to any AAA title.

You see this scenario often, a person/company experiences great success they havent had before (Witcher 3) and than tries to go above and beyond their means to step it up even further and end up failing significantly.

There are great elements to this game for sure and I always feel the urge to load it up only to play for a very small amount of time due to finding myself doing the same thing over and over with no real meaningful open world action.

The dissonance around this game is superior to any other media release that I can remember and it will stick with CDPR for the remainder of this IP.

The project appears to be mismanaged. Pawel said the reason for the lack of Interactive police chases etc. was due to technical limitations, how can this be true if GTA was doing it in the mid 2000s?

I dont understand why a $300m development over 8 years has technical limitations to this degree. The whole scenario does not add up. Why is this game so processor taxing? The graphics are good but not exceptional to the point you would accept a lack of meaningful and neccesary mechanics and it surely cannot be the AI.

Metal Gear 5 cost $80m and released in 2015, this game produced open world AI and freedom which makes CP2077 look foolish.

This game is at its best when the game is on rails and has isolated linear missions. Everything in the open world is lackluster and purely filler. This was advertised as a truly next gen rpg open world experience, it simply isnt that and no patch, dlc or expansion will help. You will be getting more of the same.

All Pawel wants to talk about is environmental story telling and other trivial things which are expected as a passive element to any AAA title.

You see this scenario often, a person/company experiences great success they havent had before (Witcher 3) and than tries to go above and beyond their means to step it up even further and end up failing significantly.

There are great elements to this game for sure and I always feel the urge to load it up only to play for a very small amount of time due to finding myself doing the same thing over and over with no real meaningful open world action.

The dissonance around this game is superior to any other media release that I can remember and it will stick with CDPR for the remainder of this IP.

I think there is a lot of truth to this, especially the first part. If they are unable to produce what games before them did years and years ago - then there is an issue with the technical side of the house beyond just investors pushing too hard to release the game or mismanagement.

I don't see a major problem with that either, by the way. CDPR does 'story driven' RPGs like no other, in my opinion. Their games don't need crazy car chases and police systems, they don't need crazy advanced elements in terms of AI and stuff like that. I don't see those things as being necessary to the type of games that they make. I think they can be highly successful without that. I think The Witcher 3 is the greatest game ever made (or at least second - I was a huge Divinity: Original Sin 2 fan too) and it featured none of that stuff.

But that being said the biggest issue here is that I don't think any of this fan rage would have manifested if they just hadn't promised/teased this stuff in the first place. I think you may be right that CDPR got a little full of themselves and went overboard on the expectations of themselves.

It seems like so far they are learning from their mistakes. I say that because they have remained completely quiet on the expansion and what is featured in it. I think they are going to be 100% sure they can deliver on everything they say they can - then tell their audience about it. I imagine The Witcher 4 is going to have way, way, way less early gameplay and feature teases than Cyberpunk as well.

I don't see a major problem with that either, by the way. CDPR does 'story driven' RPGs like no other, in my opinion. Their games don't need crazy car chases and police systems, they don't need crazy advanced elements in terms of AI and stuff like that. I don't see those things as being necessary to the type of games that they make. I think they can be highly successful without that. I think The Witcher 3 is the greatest game ever made (or at least second - I was a huge Divinity: Original Sin 2 fan too) and it featured none of that stuff.
Witcher 3 kind of had a police system. steal something in front of a guard

Oh, I didn't mean to claim I had any kind of observable method of determining with any kind of accuracy which side is doing it most. Just my own observations.

I was really just wondering if you had taken into consideration that some of these threads may appears to get "shut down" by people trying to protect the game when in fact it's just facts and hard cold logic being thrown in thus leading to the end of the conversation since it's hard to argue against verifiable facts and logic.

To take myself as an example. I used to believe CDPR had said the whole "thousands of NPCs with their own routine" thing that got thrown around a lot at launch as some proof of CDPR's failure. To be clear, I never believed the claim but I believed they had said it which lol, right? But if they had said it, I couldn't fault people for holding it against them. It's a pretty clear, concise and unambiguous statement on what to expect. It's @ooodrin that came along and shut that down with undeniable proof that they never said and it's a statement that was mistranslated by some gaming magazine/journalist.

To some it might appear as though Ooodrin came in to protect the game but I saw it as setting the record straight and I much prefer having the correct information even if it shuts down conversation than incorrect information.
I do take these into account and anything that can be factually set straight such as that example is nothing but desirable and relevant.
But I see a lot more examples of false truths or simplified truths when reflecting upon complex matters. Official statements being much more often taken into account as truth as opposed to controlled narratives. For example, to analyze individual statements being made by CDPR and dismissing the context of the whole narrative set in motion by their marketing campaign to set a certain picture is "lawyer think" in my opinion and fans actually adopt these kind of lawyer thought to defend it. "Well they never actually said this this and that", yet you are dismissing a more subjective/abstract and wholesome narrative being created by people who are awesome narrative creators. On the conversation of promises versus reality you can make a case for mal-intent that goes beyond syntax analysis. True, you won't come to a definitive conclusion or something that could be taxed in court but that's not what I want at all. This is very different from the good example you gave from ooodrin exposing a factual error that got spread around. I guess this is a problem of our education system that promotes logic above all else and castrates people from abstract wisdom. Philosofy almost belongs to an esoteric realm now when once the same intellectuals had that status in math, Philosofy and a whole set of holistic reasoning.
And, this is just my view mind you, I see you having a more holistic reasoning behind your mindset but castrating it a bit on this setting. I say we have to practice it, it's another set of mind muscle that provides tools to interpret reality, honestly.
Ok, that's much clearer to me.

Still, I find myself with the same thoughts as before. Would it really have served a purpose to be honest straight away? Other than fueling even more arguments?

In the sense that there were already a ton of debates about what went wrong at release. Still are plenty but it was way worse back then. Had they came forward immediately and outright said "look, we had trouble getting this to work on last-gen. Going forward we might have to leave last-gen out of some stuff" I don't think it would've had the effect you think it would've. Maybe on you but for most if would have fed into the whole "they should not have bothered with last-gen" argument.

Coming out right away with "well, year one will only be bug fixes and minor QoLs" would've fed into the "should've delayed again" argument. Or "they're not doing enough" argument.

And so on, I'm sure you get what I mean. Anything they could've said would've been used against them. Of that, I have absolutely no doubt. Not mentioning how dangerous it could've been with the lawsuits pending too (still could be in fact, depending on what is said).

I do understand wanting a kind of indie studio relationship between them and us but CDPR isn't a quirky little indie studio anymore. It's really important to understand that. They're a publicly traded company with over a thousand employees operating with a few studios with millions of fans across the world. It's not really possible to have this relationship anymore. Well, it is but it's risky business. A single employee saying the wrong thing at the wrong moment or even on the wrong platform can lead to a shit storm of epic proportions because everything coming out of the studio is scrutinized to an absurd degree.

It sucks but as a company grows, it can't have the same level of "personal" relationship it used to have with it's customers. It's unavoidable.
Well I just disagree here. Apart from lawsuits ramifications which I don't desire at all for CDPR, yes I am an idealist and what we're not talking about (because we can't here) can only take a step back from where it's going if people that realize it apply in action in the world. I sometimes try to imagine for example, a board meeting between the CDPR board and their investors, talking about release dates. We have no idea how they happened but wouldn't you say it has very different results if:
. example 1: the investors set a date based on market assessment data (christmas date, peak enthusiasm by the audience about the game studies, bla bla bla), CDPR puts little argument against and goes back to their team and say, this needs to happen
. example 2: CDPR knows best about the reality of game design, know what is possible and what's not and their attitude is non-compromisably one of "let us teach you about what we know is possible or not; we are the creators of Witcher 3 which is why you are putting money on us so you can choose to stay with us or stop financing but this is how it will go".

These are 2 extremes but their power relation and influence over what happens in the end navigates around these 2 poles. I don't believe in the argument - this is the way it is now and there's nothing nobody can do about it. It has been a process and it's ongoing.
I am an artist and creator myself and so many times have I watched creators become famous or bigger in their field and start to adopt this view of their audience as the enemies (this is a bit rare but it happens, and it's because they filter the negative feedback a lot more than the positive and let it go to their ego) and more common, they let go of their ideals, step by step, which in the end just undermines the quality of the work. The quality of the work and who it is intended to must continue to be the most important and even from a marketing standpoint you can get strength in knowing it and telling it to investors. Maybe these actions, in the long run, will drive investors back to their role of being invisible and unconsequencial in the reality of products coming out as they were. If you wanted to bet on a horse that was racing you would put the money and go to the balcony and watch the race. Now they try to influence the diet of the horse and the rider.

Last edited:

maybe that's one of the reasons they went and still are radio silent - because they are aware that they won't get the xpac to work on old gens in full content and system-adjustments... and yeah it would definitely kick up another shitstorm again.

Different engines? Bethesda cant even have proper climb or terrain scaling animation for its characters in 2018 either (looking at you FO76)
Just because GTA did it 20 years ago says only that a the engine GTA was built by supported it.
Doesnt mean however that another game in a completely different engine can (for whatever reason)
Also, but this is just my opinion, GTA police chases are overrated.
Well. I use Starcraft II editor a lot for modding an mapmaking projects for the last 12 years. Its easily as taxing as Cyberpunk is. So honestly it means little from my point of view.

It isnt wrong to have ambitions. If they hadn't there might never have been a witcher or cyberpunk. But the peoblem with ambitions is -usually- they tend to require far more work than you ever imagine up front. On one side due to you doing something unprecendented for you and because it takes a lot of time refining the scope of the project.
Every major company experiences it sooner or later, and depending on how well it can be camouflaged it more or less glaringly obvious. I would almost dare to say its part of human nature in the 2000's where ambitions rise higher and faster for their own good, and actually realising them falls short in at least several ways, be it money, time, capacity, knowledge or other.

Sounds subjective to me. Which is fine. if you feel like that, then that is what that is. But I cant say the same.

Driving problem is in the streets - the corners are to sharp. The driving system is good but the city need to be made diferently. You need a bigger radius of a corner to get in a good comfortable position.
Yep. Besides, they must adjust the brake system too. Every vehicle easily gets lock-up even when you brake while driving very slowly. It is more annoying that Cyberpunk 2077 is about the future and every car/bike is equipped the most high-tech and they still get lock-up

Top Bottom