A Shot in the Arm: EX Packs!

+
I used to play a Japanese card game where they released special mini-sets called EX sets. I presume it meant Extra Sets. These EX sets would sell 1 new card for each faction in the game + alternate art cards for previously released sets. So in GWENT that would mean that maybe for Skellige you would release Birna Bran: Wily Schemer, which would represent her BEFORE she got caught and so the card art would show her with a sneaky look on her face or something and the card text might be:

Birna Bran: Wily Schemer
Power: 4
Provision: 13

Set a Trap that says, "Destroy the next artifact that is played and then transform one bronze unit into a 5 power bear"

So you'd have 1 new card like that for every faction and then you'd release an alternate art for cards like Geralt: Professional. Let's say for his alternate art you'd show him with a lecherous look on his face while he's sneakily walking into a gigantic prostitution house! Or show him drunk in a bar doing something silly. That's usually how alternate art cards were done. Something humorous or whatever.

The point is that new content like that would keep your supporters happy I think while the big main sets are in the works. Plus releasing smaller sets gives you more responsiveness in so far as balannce is concerned. I think constant updates works for League of Legends, it works for Fortnite. Come on guys, let's see some EX Packs.

Making alternative artwork for cards is an expensive and complicated process because of the full motion premium cards. It's not just a skin recolor or adding some sparkles either. So, making an alternate premium version might be a bit too much. Besides, the card pool is too limited at the moment. Better focus on releasing a few expansions first.

That's why you sell the cards to players. For money. Alternate art is purely cosmetic. I think peopel would care about those more than the drab and dreary battlefields they have in the shop. You see, what you do with an EX set is that you give two options for purchase. One is where you buy the whole thing for a good price. So let's say the first EX Set for gwent costs $10 for 1 new card in each faction and 1 alternate art from each faction. Over time, after Gwent releases EX Set 6-7 you can unveil a new type of keg in the shop. The EX Keg. Where you pay the same amount that you would for a pack in order to receive just ONE random EX card. So basically it's always possible to collect Ex cards, but it's much butter to buy them at the moment when they are released.

And putting Ex Kegs on sale would be exciting for new players too. Half off Ex Kegs!! People would be whipping out their wallets so fast. Of course in game currency opens them too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom