A statement made by CDPR regarding Keanu Reeves mod is concerning

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
7 pages of you arguing that CDPR do not have the right to tell modders they cannot publish an alteration to keanu in CPDR's IP. That is what makes you "soap box" worthy.

You do not even know what rights Keanu may have given CDPR to protect his image rights in game or even under what licence it was granted. For all you know it was KEANU who asked the devs for it to be taken down. The fact he himself does has not made any statement does not give you the automatic right to dictate the law to CDPR, particularly when you yourself have already stated you are not a lawyer and have no legal background.

We modders already know our rights and have a licensing system we can use ourselves

This whole "causes concern" does not actually cause any concern among anyone with a modicum of modding experience and published works. It is in fact only you who are arguing "entitlement" with CDPR and how it pertains to mods.

Let me make a bet right here. If nobody else replies to this guy/girl they'll eventually shut up.
It would be deliciewz to me too to have it on with Keanu but put a mod out there with sex scenes with a model based on him to spread through the internet? Celebrities are exposed enough. Fu*k technicalities of the law and use some common sense

None of these are related to use of likeness as in personal rights or distributing mods that can violate personal rights or copyrighted material.

None of those are supposed to relate to the use of likeness of someone or distributing mods. Why would I post a link about a ruling regarding distributing copyrighted material? You've already conceded that I was correct when I told you that making a mod using someone's likeness doesn't grant the modder a right to use the likeness.

And countless times in this thread, including in the OP, I've stated that the mod could be opposed on the grounds that it usees Reeves' likeness without permission. Are you saying you now disagree with those positions and want me to prove to you that people aren't entitled to distribute someone-else's copyrighted content or use their likeness without permission?

The fact is this: You lied, again, by claiming I hadn't shown any court rulings backing-up what I claimed. But I did. And I did it again. And now you're trying to re-frame the discussion as if I was supposed to prove that people aren't entitled to distribute copyrighted content - which implies that you don't believe that people aren't entitled to distribute other people's copyrighted content (otherwise, why would you need it proved to you?), which contradicts your own claims.

You're all over the place and I don't think that you even have any idea of what you're trying to argue.

Last edited:
Let me make a bet right here. If nobody else replies to this guy/girl they'll eventually shut up.
That's fair. I just happened to see something like this on some other forum and it went bad. Can't tell how bad exactly. Money was not lost AFAIK but there are people's info somewhere there where it shouldn't be, all for thing that couldn't realistically pan out. There was similar case later, community manager got him finally, then some kids went after that case and found out that he had less than 10 minutes play time in game used to platform himself. Helluva mess though.

Good that people who this actually concerns showed up. (y)(y)

Consumer rights are important matter, and in general for anyone, use proper authorities, at least in my country doesn't cost a penny.

I've read about a mod that was created by someone which replaced textures on a model the player can have sex with in the game, so that it appears as though the player is having sex with Keanu Reeves. In reaction to the mod, CDPR asked Nexus Mods to remove the mod, and they also issued the following statement about it to PC Gamer:

I don't have any opinion on the mod or an interest in it. But what a CDPR representative said here can be misleading and sounds like CDPR either mischaracterized why the mod was removed, or otherwise were overstepping their authority.

Keanu Reeves could go after a mod using his likeness without permission if he wanted. But that's not CDPR's call unless Reeves has solicited them to act on his behalf in this matter. And a violation of what are called "Personality Rights" is a separate matter than a CDPR rule on mods, and is one which doesn't come down to whether people are allowed by CDPR to mod their game in a certain way.

People are always entitled to mod their own software per their sole discretion - excluding ToS violations for online services and copyright violations.

Nexus Mods could also remove the mod from their website for the sake of avoiding any issues stemming from a usage of Reeves' likeness without his permission, or just to make CDPR happy. But they are under no legal obligation to remove a mod just because CDPR or another publisher or developer disapproves of that mod in particular or the idea of people modding their games in general.

The only situation in which a company like CDPR has the right to impose a rule against modded content is when it comes to people's activities while playing on that company's own servers. That's because a company can set the terms for people to follow while using their servers, but a company cannot set the terms for what people choose to do with their own property in their own space, such as when running a game offline.

When a person violates a company's terms of a service, the company is only able to take action regarding their own property - which is their server and not the specific instance of the game that the person modded and used on their server. So, the person using modded content on a server that doesn't allow it could be banned from the server, but they couldn't have their game taken away from them - even though in certain cases the game itself might be useless without access to the online server.

And if a publisher bans a person from using their online servers because that person used prohibited content while playing on their servers, the violation wouldn't have been modding the game, but would have been using the online servers owned by the publisher while running content that isn't allowed on those servers.

A company can't tell the person what they may do with that person's own game elsewhere, and person is legally entitled to modify their own property in any way they see fit (which doesn't entitle a person to be able to use 3rd-party servers while doing so).

Ultimately, CDPR can't have a rule regarding what mods people may make and use with CP 2077 played offline because a publisher has no legal authority or jurisdiction concerning such matters. A person is free to modify their owned property, including their games.

Someone playing an online game using mods against a publisher's wishes isn't a case of a modding violation, but is a case of violating the terms of using an online service owned by a 3rd party. Using the likeness of a person without permission isn't a case of a modding violation, but is a case of violating a person's Right of Publicity / Personality Rights.

The PC Gamer article also says:

"CDPR will understandably not want to harm its relationship with Reeves, as his character could return in DLC or other forms."

But that's neither here nor there to the matter of whether CDPR has any authority in this matter. CDPR doesn't magically gain a legal power they never possessed just because they don't want to harm their relationship with Reeves.

So, there are grounds to remove a mod featuring a person's likeness without their permission. But the legitimate grounds are not related to a CDPR rule about modding. And unless Keanu Reeves is soliciting CDPR to act as his agent in the matter of protecting usage of his likeness, CDPR are probably overstepping their authority in claiming to disallow a mod featuring his likeness.

Added note:

Myajha made a lot of baseless and ignorant claims in this thread, all of which were ultimately proved to be false (select example 1, select example 2, select example 3). And at the end, they unintentionally conceded that this OP is true.

I don't fully disagree, but the reality is if the actors are real, they may have agreements with those actors on how they can use their likeness. So basically the actors might take action on CDPR if they do not at least attempt to prevent it. It also may prevent them from getting other actors to play parts.

I didnt see the claim as a legal one though, its like someone jackin to Victorias secret, I don't think there is a strong legal argument unless people are profiting from using someones likeness.

Everyone should just stop. It should be obvious to everyone that delicieuxz is a "Trumpian Lawyer".

I don't know what a Trumpian Lawyer would be, but what I've written in this thread is the truth and legal fact, backed with sources proving it to be such - while those who attempted to argue against it have categorically had their arguments disproved - which is why they descended into pushing lies, goalpost moving, and non sequitur arguments. And also bait like you just have.

BTW, it's ironic that you thought to chime-in that people should stop... when everyone was stopped. But not anymore.

CDPR are claiming for themselves a right to say [...] how they mod it. And that's problematic as CDPR don't actually posses that power in law.
Actually CDPR could fine every single one that uses content from the game without permission, including the whole modding community. But they don't and instead they say: "You may mod our game, we even give you some handy tools, but if you don't follow some very important rules then we will remove that mod but we won't make you pay".
So... maybe just edit the title and remove the part that says "is concerning"... Because it really isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom