A Sword Enthusiast Praises Witcher 3's Combat

+

IsengrimR

:facepalm:
And another post from an idiot who didn't read the article. If you had, you would know the author has taken sword classes for three years. That qualifies him as an enthusiast --not an expert. You would also know that he praises certain things about Witcher's combat and critizes other things, but says that as a whole it's more authentic than other medieval action-games, like Dark Souls.

For your information, I've read the article. You can rest easy, I'm an idiot that read the article, thank you very much.

And I wholeheartedly disagree on a lot of it. His qualification is very doubtful. Because I would actually point out to Dark Souls as being more authentic than Witcher 3. And when it comes to Geralt's movements, stance and attacks, Witcher 2 does a better job of hitting the authenticity aspect. Even more with FCR, even though I do not like FCR from the gameplay perspective.

Next time, leave your attitude at the door. Please & thank you.

Yeah, speaking about that...

And another post from an idiot who didn't read the article.

Something does not quite fit in here. Can't figure out what however.

His qualification is very doubtful.
He doesn't need qualification because he's not an authority on anything. He's simply an enthusiast. And I linked the article because I thought other people might find his perspective interesting.
And I wholeheartedly disagree on a lot of it.
Your perfectly welcome to disagree with it. In fact, PLEASE DO! Because I'd like to read your insights as well! But next time please do it in a politer tone.

Last edited:
No hey listen I'm not about to get into a discussion with a bunch of video game guys on a video game forum about the finer points of video game swordplay, that's a hole one does not dig himself out of, lol

And no I did not read the link and I wont, I simply stated facts, facts which are true... the point of the fact is it's as CD Projekt Red brought in a hollywood movie director to be in charge of the sword combat in the game.
And that's the whole reason I said anything in the first place, is because this game's swordplay would have been SO much better with more realism and less hollywood.

In the books Geralt fights with alot of pirouetts, why shouldnt the game be the same? Hollywood? plz, read the books.
By the way if samuaris just stabbed with their blades, why the need to deflect? Moving out of the way is the logical safe way of avoiding a sword stab. Are you saying Kendo is bullshit and not grounded in reality?

You need to think more about this..

The point of the fantasy genre has always been to try and integrate aspects of fantasy within an otherwise historically 'familiar' setting. The Witcher portrays exceptionally well a 'european-style' medieval fantasy setting - with key fantasy tropes inserted into it (we have elves, dwarves, some magic..).
Both Dragon Age and Witcher both 'copy' (not a criticism) cultural and historical aspects of real history. You've got the 'home nations' of Temeria, Redania, Kaedwen and Aedirn, the more sophisticated and quite germanic power of Nilfgaard, and the extremely nordic saxon-esque Skillege...
People live peasant-lives in the country, burghers in the city, and physics, including sword fighting, remains fundamentally the same

Long story short, the fantasy genre doesn't have to abandon all claims to realism just because there's fantasy elements.

Actually, he doesn't need to look more into it. His point, and that a couple others have made, is that Geralt's moves (only Geralt, here - and Ciri, and the other witchers of course) don't need to be grounded in reality because what these people are is not grounded in reality. They aren't human, but something much more. So their moves are much more.

You caught me! I am Viggo Mortensen and I wrote this article myself. You see... ever since I played Aragorn in LOTR I have been itching for a new role where I play a swordsman and bang Elves. The closest I can find is The Witcher. So I have been lurking on these forums eagerly antipicating the day when they make a Witcher movie. I will then retun to the silver screen to play my biggest role yet --the bard Dandelion.
:smiling2:

Bwaahahaaa!! Hilarious! Well, I hope to see you in one too...The movie, not you banging elves!
:cheers:

I think I'll go with the other guy.

No problem with it. I just miss the old animations :wondering:

Problem with that is not everyone uses a controller. Adding more "hold down button to attack" like they did for heavy attacks would pretty much make gamepads the primary controller type for Witcher 3 and relegate M&K an inefficient, second rate one.
agreed. the KB/M support is already far from being stellar sadly, the last thing we need is more focus on the gameplay for gamepad use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5pycqmx0ec
Check out this combat compilation that was done before the game came out. Look at all the nice animations, where did they all go?

Those animations are all in the game i assure you, except the pirouette :cirisad:
But certanly they're not 90+ like they said, and correct me if i'm wrong but the combat in the E3 DEMO seems to me A LOT FASTER. The dogde is faster, the transition between one attack and another is faster. It is only my impression?

Those animations are all in the game i assure you, except the pirouette :cirisad:
But certanly they're not 90+ like they said, and correct me if i'm wrong but the combat in the E3 DEMO seems to me A LOT FASTER. The dogde is faster, the transition between one attack and another is faster. It is only my impression?

Certainly the dodge was faster, but the animations now are smoother. They all look very good actually, very slick yet weighty. There just isn't much variety. I'm still switching between double tap for dodge and using control + directional key. Double tap can never be as fast so I'm trying to wean myself off it. Interestingly, the dodge is straight out of TW1 mechanics, only in that game it wasn't very useful or responsive.

Last edited:
I definitely agree with @Garrison72 - the animations in the final game build that we got are Superior to those from early videos. They are A LOT Smoother and looks realistic, unlike previously - when everything looked clunky and too dodgy. Tho I wish there were more animations in general.

But hey - they might add it some time latter (like they just added new finisher animations in DLC)

Last edited:
So all the guy is saying is basically that TW3 sword play is not or only in its most basic mechanics realistic and he thinks that it is good and responsive which it actually is not.

I definitely agree with @Garrison72 - the animations in the final game build that we got are Superior to those from early videos. They are A LOT Smoother and looks realistic, unlike previously - when everything looked clunky and too dodgy. Tho I wish there were more animations in general.

But hey - they might add it some time latter (like they just added new finisher animations in DLC)

For me the e3 demo animations were superior not because they were realistic but because they seemed to be responsive. When i think how the movements were more realistic pre-patch 1.07 but not practical i think the same thing with the combat animations . Unnecessary realistic and because of that not fully responsive.

Geralt is a badass mutated swordsman! He doesn't need to be realistic but quick!

EDIT: I love your montages btw :)

Last edited:
An combat like E3 episode which onionshavelayers presented and the difficulty which is now , the game would had been to easy that's why are Blizzard and Yrden in the game use it .Upgrade to superior or enhanced blizzard and you will be much more faster even more faster than monsters.

Unnecessary realistic and because of that not fully responsive.

I'm ok with the combat not being fully responsive, since it's a gameplay system where a bit of restriction can actually add value to the experience in upping the challenge. The movement, however, is a different scenario because navigating around in a responsive manner should be the norm for all games unless the game specifically wants that particular challenge to be a part of the gameplay.

Certainly the dodge was faster, but the animations now are smoother. They all look very good actually, very slick yet weighty. There just isn't much variety. I'm still switching between double tap for dodge and using control + directional key. Double tap can never be as fast so I'm trying to wean myself off it. Interestingly, the dodge is straight out of TW1 mechanics, only in that game it wasn't very useful or responsive.

I dodged all day long in TW1. Granted, I did it mostly to feel dodgy, but still.

Interestingly, the dodge is straight out of TW1 mechanics, only in that game it wasn't very useful or responsive.
I remember that! Does he even roll when you dodge in Witcher 1?

@Sharpy47 @Holgar82I should probably point out that originally the game was going to have three combat styles, like Witcher 1, each with it's own animations. That might account for why there aren't 90+ like they promised. But I agree with you guys, more animations are always welcome :) I'd love for CD Projekt RED to iterate on the combat system in the expansions and help make Witcher 3 the best game it can be.

Last edited:
I remember that! Does he even roll when you dodge in Witcher 1?

It was randomized. Sometimes he'd leap, sometimes twirl, and sometimes flip to the location you clicked.

On the topic of "authenticity" -- Not. Even. Slightly. Don't get me wrong, the combat looks great, and I wouldn't change the moves. But there is absolutely 0% reality involved in the Witcher series. Which is all fair enough...most people wouldn't be that impressed with actual melee combat. In reality, it boils down to long pauses and deliberate positioning interrupted with 2-3 strikes at a time that are often hastily and sloppily blocked, parried, or dodged. You might get 1 or 2 ripostes from a couple of masters going at it over the course of a whole fight. And in real life, a fight will last about 15-30 seconds. You may get up to a full minute if both challengers are in full plate.

Like most areas of real life, melee combat is fast, ugly, and rather terrifying. I prefer to allow games to have their fun.

Top Bottom