A toast to less variance and RNG

+
HS is a e-sport and it has no blacklist. Blacklist is needed only fo people, who don't like RNG at all, who wants to play all cards they like, like in chess. But u must understand, that there is RNG in cards and mulligan does not guarantee u anything. Noone must build deck full of useless fillers and 5 important and expesive golds. U just want to take too much value then other people who build their decks understanding that thay cannot get all cards they need. So they spread value between all cards.
More overall deck consistency is needed to increase the amount of viable competitive decks. This is obvious from the few top tier decks, which all have a very high amount of card synergies or a high amount of thinning (Discard), High synergies and thinning lead to deck consistency. We need more top tier decks like that to keep the game interesting.
Yes! Poker - is a card game and it is a very big e-sport. Somehow there are a best players with such a big game RNG. May be because of bluff and bet management. May be Gwent can add some bluff elements somehow too. It would be nice for a card game.
Gwent cannot be compared with poker, it is completely different. Gwent is a game that is decided in one match. Poker is a game that is decided in many matches. RNG evens out a bit with multiple matches and on top of that you can choose to skip (pass/fold) if you have a bad hand. Add bluffing and there really is no comparison.
Skellige has the highest consistancy and the lowest variance. Before the Coral nerf every SK player played a discard deck now it is self wounding. When I face Svalblod or Eist at the moment I could also forfeit directly. I know which cards are played but still don´t stand a chance.
Exactly. The few top tier decks all have a very high amount of thinning and/or card synergies, making these decks very consistent. We need more consistent and viable decks to have more variety and a healthy and interesting top tier competition.
To fix Archan6el's problem, I think that two things can be done:...
Agreed :beer:
So, i was playing Skellige, facing another skellige.

I was trying to get 2 damaged enemy units, to trigger Donar's bloodthirst.

Enemy had 5 units, one of them a damaged ship and the others undamaged. I had 2 Harald's skulls to do RNG damage...

Yup, you guessed it - they both hit the damaged ship, so instead of getting Bloodthirst 2, i got Bloodthirst 0... That was a 4% chance, if Gwent had true randomness.
Yeah, weird stuff that happens way too often. Like drawing the copy of the crappy filler bronze card that you just mulliganed with 12 cards left in the deck.

Yup, you guessed it - they both hit the damaged ship, so instead of getting Bloodthirst 2, i got Bloodthirst 0...
Don't use RNG if u don't want a random effects. Random must not be not random.

Exactly. The few top tier decks all have a very high amount of thinning and/or card synergies, making these decks very consistent. We need more consistent and viable decks to have more variety and a healthy and interesting top tier competition.

What I wanted to point out is that Although there is high consistancy in Skellige there is very little variance. In the past it was almost only one Skellige deck that saw play, just the leader was different sometimes. When was the last time you saw a SK beast deck with bearmaster, a warrior deck or a deck that synergizes with the graveyard? Even discard vanished after the nerf of coral although it is still solid I guess.

In Scoiatel I see different Eithne control decks, harmony decks with Dana, trap decks with the trap guy and decks that try to use movement just to name a few.

What I wanted to point out is that Although there is high consistancy in Skellige there is very little variance.
Little variance can bring more consistency from a card's ability perspective. Deck consistency is another matter. I believe that a lot of beta players are missing the higher overall deck consistency of beta Gwent. In Homecoming, it is clear that (when you are an experienced player), most games (with good decks) are lost simply because of RNG in card draws and not getting the right cards at the right time. More deck consistency would allow for more strategic play as you are better able to get the right cards from your deck to outplay or counter your opponent, giving a more engaging game overall. Losing because you don't draw the right cards from your deck has nothing to do with strategy and makes you feel like you just lost a gambling game. Granted, sometimes there was too much consistency, but I feel that higher deck consistency was something that made beta Gwent more strategic and thereby unique and fun.

Top Bottom