A Tragedy of the Hunt

+
A Tragedy of the Hunt

Dear CD Projekt Red and everyone who made The Witcher and all of its successors possible:
One week. On May 19th of 2015 The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will be available to the massive amount of fans that CD Projekt has gained since the release of The Witcher. I myself have been waiting for a game like Wild Hunt and another chapter of a series of games I love for a long, long time and have been nearly peeing myself like an excited puppy anticipating Wild Hunt's release, especially since I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition of a Witcher game, the idea of which I have drooled over since The Witcher: Enhanced Edition in 2007 when myself and a few other "underage" kids at school all installed our copy of the game in all of it's glory on our now ancient and forgotten PCs.

It's sad then, to realize that I won't be receiving any version of The Witcher 3. Due to GameStop's incompetence despite being a massive company and video games retailer they have denied me my the copy of the game I paid for on account of the credit card I used to pre-order and pay for the game a year ago being expired a year later and GameStop not notifying me at all about this being an issue despite the fact that I changed and updated all of my shipping and billing information on their website and attempted to contact them over the past month to be certain all of the information was correct and I would indeed be receiving my long-awaited copy of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Collector's Edition. Just last week someone from GameStop finally replied to me through email to let me know that all of the information was correct and I would be happily receiving the game as planned. Then, just the other day, an email from GameStop interrupts my most recent play-through of The Witcher and let's me know they had cancelled my order.

So, why am I writing all of this here? Well, there is really nowhere else to voice my disagreement and disappointment about GameStop being the retailer of choice for CD Projekt Red's most anticipated chapter of their beloved game series based on a wonderful series of books. After being sure that my payment for the game went through last year I was incredibly excited that this game along with a beautifully crafted sculpture would be in my hands not a year later (of course the game was pushed back and I would have to wait a bit longer for it, but that isn't an issue). I was so happy that I was lucky enough to snatch one of the coveted Collector's Editions and now, a year later, I feel entirely robbed by GameStop and through several emails back and forth with them since being told my order was cancelled, I am quite certain they are never going to give me my copy. To me this is a tragedy. Never have I looked forward to a game in my entire life as much as this one, and it is entirely out of my hands whether or not I get it. Awesome. And by awesome, I mean it's astonishing how poorly GameStop functions and treats its customers.

Here's hoping that I at least get a refund and my local GameStop somehow has a copy of a game that hasn't been available online for several months and that copy isn't purchased by someone who didn't pre-order one. And, of course, I hope that CD Projekt doesn't work with GameStop for the release of Cyberpunk 2077. Please, CD Projekt, sell the game through a different retailer next time. Thank you.

-With much love and much disappointment, One of Many Fans

I had this problem when I bought diablo 3 collector edition luckily there was still a single store which had 1 left... maybe you can still find one or maybe get one on ebay for extra if you really want collector.

I really feel for you. I've read many stories like this before and wondered how a large company like Gamestop can constantly screw over their loyal customers. Especially seeing as the iteration of that company where I live gets it so right (EB Games). I've only once had a problem with a purchase from EB but it was rectified. It seems as though Gamestop can't be trusted and that's a really big problem when it's often the only store you're able to purchase specific versions. Best of luck hunting down a version of the CE (or the game itself)!

What a terrible thing. Hope you can find one, and I hope you have other purchasing options for the future

can you buy digital version

Well, he can, but he wanted Collectors Edition.

To get back to OP - What in gods name happened there? Why they cant provide your copy account expired or not!? This is one of the most ludicrous things I have heard.
You gave them money and shipping address months ago and told them that you want W3:ED, they then took your money, said fine. And now they say no Witcher for you(My God! Why not?) and you still don't know when will you get your money back? I am from Europe, but I know of Gamestop, still, I cant believe that there is a retail store that has three or more customers and is doing business this way.

Wow...just wow...

This really sucks I'm sorry op. I pre ordered my collectors edition day 1 and I would be beyond pissed if it was somehow cancelled. I don't even know what I would do if I couldn't find one somewhere else.

Did you have it paid in full or did you just have them bill the $5 minimum or whatever until you picked it up and then they were going to charge the rest?

Just curious because I pre ordered mine but paid in full but my credit card has since changed as well since it was so long ago... I don't want to be a victim of this as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if they found out they didn't have enough and then dropping orders that they find the littlest flaws with as an excuse to not deliver.

I suppose, regardless of when I get my refund and if I can find a Collector's Edition or the statue anywhere, there are some things to take away from this. For one, never pre-order a title from a retailer (or even developer) that you know isn't trustworthy or dependable, even if it's a game you are going to buy no matter what. Secondly, I still have the opportunity to buy the game on GOG.com with a discount for owning the previous two Witcher games. Third and lastly, despite how disappointing and frustrating this has been, as an artist I have good bit of drive to use an old chunk of plaster and make something out of it and keep it on the last empty spot of my shelves. Although, I will absolutely be looking to get that griffon sculpture.
PS: The GameStop Order History pages haven't been working properly for me for the past month or so and I can't get proof that I pre-ordered and paid in full for the item off of the website, so I will have to keep digging through all of the bank statements I have saved and find the one with The Witcher 3 purchase. I vividly remember checking and double checking to make sure I had paid for it because of how excited and genuinely happy I was to be able to afford the CE. Anyway, that will happen in the morning. I'm exhausted from talking with people at GameStop and their automated messages.

---------- Updated at 06:04 AM ----------

I'd advise you to use a different retailer next time.

If there is going to be a next time...

CD Projekt Red only had one retailer in the U.S. (as far as I know) that sold the CE version of the game, but yes, unless I'm dying to buy an ancient, used, cheap copy of a game I can't find anywhere else other than my local GameStop I am thoroughly finished with being involved with them. I hope CD Projekt is able to sell any future CEs through Amazon, by their own means, or, heck, even Walmart or Target here in the U.S.

GameStop closed all their shops in Spain, includind online selling too. I, as many other customers, pre-ordered my CE the first day. Few weeks later Gamestop cancelled my pre-order. I've explained that here in the forum. The most sad of all is that nobody, even CDPR give us another option or solution. Amazon didn't works for Spain, only Gamestop did it then.

This should never happen in a busines focused on customers.
Now I have shivers on my spine what if amazon.uk will not deliver my last-year preordered TW3:CE edition? ....

My retailer here in Finland emailed me that they just now got the confirmation on how many CE they get. And I wont be havin one either. January preorder.

I think I remember Amazon very quickly selling out of CEs, but it seemed that GameStop had a larger quantity as they were available for much longer than on Amazon, or loads of people immediately flocked to Amazon first, the lucky chaps. I expect anyone who ordered from Amazon will receive their copy, I haven't heard of nor experienced any case in which someone was denied a pre-order from them except under very non-typical circumstances. In the past I have bought a few Blizzard CEs (almost solely for the art books, and well worth it) from Amazon and I have only heard of hiccups with getting Diablo 3 copies out, but best of luck to everybody who ordered a Wild Hunt CE regardless of where and how they ordered one. I would be interested to know which retailers in other countries are receiving copies of it and how many they were expecting versus what will be available after pre-orders. Perhaps there will be a few available outside of the U.S. and U.K. for those folks.

I actually enjoy having GameStop as my nr 1 shop and buy all my games from them. I've never had any problems.

But I do feel for you @Cheezler , I really do. I'm glad I have contacts and friends working there that know me and what a pain in the a** I can be if someone does a mistake like this one. Because it clearly is a mistake isn't it? On their part.

In fact, I've been there several times already and made sure no one "new on the job" screws my preorder up. Heads would roll I tell ya. And then I would really get mad. As soon as my CE comes in my friend will call me and reassure me everything is fine. No really, he will.

Seriously, I've been worried about this even before seeing this thread. Pessimist as I am my mind has conjured up all kinds of negative scenarios of shipments being hijacked and what have you.

Anyway, all you can do as a customer is being a pain right back, and painstakingly convince them, struggle, and present any preorder receipts and whatnot. Claim that it was never cancelled. It's their job to correct this error. When exactly would you have cancelled your preorder then? Don't give up!

Besides, you said something about a refund. Ergo you pumped money into the store, ergo a preorder was made. Because why would you give them your money? I don't know which country you live in, but a full refund is to be made to the customer unless they can secure a CE for you.
Worst case, contact the devs. They're great. :happy:

EDIT: Just called my guy. Everyone who has preordered will get their copy. No hiccups what so ever. :sweat:

Last edited:
:sad: The feels... Here I hope my CE isn't cancelled as well, can't even see it on the EB website...

It's EB policy worldwide when preorders close on an item that page is removed from their site. I know that here the page for the SE is still up and your order will still be in your order history, ala

View attachment 13988

Oops! Forgot to redact info in this screenshot.

I really feel for you. I've read many stories like this before and wondered how a large company like Gamestop can constantly screw over their loyal customers. Especially seeing as the iteration of that company where I live gets it so right (EB Games). I've only once had a problem with a purchase from EB but it was rectified. It seems as though Gamestop can't be trusted and that's a really big problem when it's often the only store you're able to purchase specific versions. Best of luck hunting down a version of the CE (or the game itself)!

Yep, never had an issue with EB or JB, but that might be down to my girlfriend + brother-in-law working at my local stores

Attachments

• Kevin-Bacon-Painting--44302.jpg
    Kevin-Bacon-Painting--44302.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Breaking news (of sorts). I received a full refund for the CE and was able to pre-order The Witcher 3 through GOG.com for $47.99 instead of $59.99. I will, of course, still be looking after the release date for the griffon statue to pop up on eBay for a fair price. But, I should be happy enough with getting extra music and artwork, etc. for the game via GOG. To everyone else: Good luck with all of your CE orders and adventures in the Wild Hunt!

Top Bottom