Ability to crouch-sprint/stealth-sprint?

+
I wondered if you'll be able to crouch-run since it would practical to be able to sprint while crouching and gaining more time to move to other cover if needed. What do you guys think? V already has amazing reflexes and can double jump, slide etc. so it would add up some fun to the movement freedom in general.

Games generally have 3 different stances:
Standing
Crouching
Sprinting

It would be too much of a hassle to try and combine them.

I don't see how it would work from an animation standpoint, nor why it would be needed from a gameplay one. There's meant to be a trade off between crouching and running - one is slow and quiet, and the other fast but loud, which means that the player has to make meaningful choices about how they proceed. Crouched sprinting would be either an 'I win' button, or basically the same as simply walking. Which is a terrible idea in one case and useless in the other.

If you want to be quick and quiet, you can invest in those skills as you progress, which is still means you have to make a choice- points spent there can't be spent elsewhere. It's meaningiful and keeps it balanced.

I don't see how it would work from an animation standpoint, nor why it would be needed from a gameplay one. There's meant to be a trade off between crouching and running - one is slow and quiet, and the other fast but loud, which means that the player has to make meaningful choices about how they proceed. Crouched sprinting would be either an 'I win' button, or basically the same as simply walking. Which is a terrible idea in one case and useless in the other.

If you want to be quick and quiet, you can invest in those skills as you progress, which is still means you have to make a choice- points spent there can't be spent elsewhere. It's meaningiful and keeps it balanced.
A crouched sprint would mostly be for changing cover or closing distance in a fight than whilst sneaking, the even then it could be useful.
A good implementation of this could be to give it a very small stamina bar, only allowing small dashes. This would enable the player to cross a couple of meters between barriers or across a corridor but no further.

Changing cover isnt really an issue. Just go from crouch to sprint to crouch. No need for another stance.

Once your in a fight, crouching for stealth is pointless. Switching to sprint to get close to a person is better.

This crouch-sprint idea you have is so niche, that it wont be a useful addition to the game.

I think you want a cover system, like that in Deus Ex.

Changing cover isnt really an issue. Just go from crouch to sprint to crouch. No need for another stance.

Once your in a fight, crouching for stealth is pointless. Switching to sprint to get close to a person is better.

This crouch-sprint idea you have is so niche, that it wont be a useful addition to the game.

I think you want a cover system, like that in Deus Ex.
Not really that niche. It's been in other games and it's quite useful. It would fit the game just fine

Not really that niche. It's been in other games and it's quite useful. It would fit the game just fine

Only games that come to mind for me are third person cover shooters, or games that have a cover system. Cyberpunk 2077, as far as I know, doesn't have a cover system and doesn't kick you to third person during any gameplay.

Could you point out a first person shooter, with no cover system, that lets you sprint-crouch?

Only games that come to mind for me are third person cover shooters, or games that have a cover system. Cyberpunk 2077, as far as I know, doesn't have a cover system and doesn't kick you to third person during any gameplay.

Could you point out a first person shooter, with no cover system, that lets you sprint-crouch?
Most Realistic shooters,and even Battlefield V,it's pretty useful in certain scenarios, like if you want to move form a table cover to another table cover and don't want to expose too much.

I could see this working in a point and click scenario where you can advance/transition to a different area of cover, similar to the Division. You hold a button and V will crouch-run to an area whilst avoiding fire.

I could see this working in a point and click scenario where you can advance/transition to a different area of cover, similar to the Division. You hold a button and V will crouch-run to an area whilst avoiding fire.

It has loss of control involved which they avoid. Even turning cp2077 cutscenes you have full control of your movement and vision.
There is supposedly maybe 4 - 5 times turning the entire game where you lack control which is probably very minimal considering the scale of the game.
I think they have the sort of cover system that will automatically kick in when you're near environment or object that can serve as cover
Kinda similar to how Uncharted did it if I remember correctly.

I wondered if you'll be able to crouch-run since it would practical to be able to sprint while crouching and gaining more time to move to other cover if needed. What do you guys think? V already has amazing reflexes and can double jump, slide etc. so it would add up some fun to the movement freedom in general.

I wonder that there hasn't been terribly much talk about stealth mechanics in general. Stealthing was shown in the very first gameplay video, but I wonder if it has changed/adjusted in some way. That was a long time ago.

I’d prefer that you couldn’t sprint or run while sneaking, that it’d be intentionally low, but you’d get more speed as your sneaking skill gets higher.

My stealth cyberlegs disagree with you.

But not everyone will use them. Some players might not ever know they even exist (if they do).

And it’s not a good idea to let the player bypass abilities that way anyway. Even in 2020 cyberware gave you a bonus’ to the skills, iirc +2 was already a considerable increase.

I’d prefer that you couldn’t sprint or run while sneaking, that it’d be intentionally low, but you’d get more speed as your sneaking skill gets higher.
Honestly, I want to be able to stealth sprint, and I also want to be able to crouch and then break into a full silent sprint while still crouched.

In fact, I want to be able to go fully prone (lying on my belly) and then silently start sprint crawling silently at full speed while still prone.

I am not being sarcastic.

I want this.

Honestly, I want to be able to stealth sprint, and I also want to be able to crouch and then break into a full silent sprint while still crouched.

In fact, I want to be able to go fully prone (lying on my belly) and then silently start sprint crawling silently at full speed while still prone.

I am not being sarcastic.

1598370459000.jpeg

”You want weird things, friendo.”

Top Bottom