About Angry Joe's Reviews... (& me)

+
First Witcher game was released when I was 9 years old. I can't say that I played it at that time because of "ESRB restrictions", but I kinda played it. It was a cool RPG. Then I grew up. I remember seeing Witcher 2 trailer from a digital magazine called "Ray" ten years ago. I was amazed by it's graphics. Coming off the relatively not good looking Witcher 1, Witcher 2 was a miracle for me. It was definitely one of the best looking games at that time.
Around the release of Witcher 2, I found a little review from a guy called Angry Joe. I randomly clicked on it & ended up laughing my ass off. Intro parody about Triss' bathhouse scene cracked me up & it was kinda relatable at that time. I knew Joe was exaggerating things but I felt that he had a passion about the game unlike brain dead reviewers from other major companies. In the end of the video, I understood that this is an special game.
YouTube — Mozilla Firefox 1_18_2021 1_10_00 AM.png

I got to play the game few months after. My computer was only able to handle it at 720p at low settings. But it didn't bother me. Later I bought a GTX 660. Game ran like a dream in that machine. I replayed it so many times that I remember every branching path in that game.
Then CDPR announced Witcher 3. I can't remember watching many trailers and demos for that game because I had so many exams at that time. However, I remember watching the Demo that Geralt hunts a Gryffin. It was literally jaw dropping. It's like everything that I needed in a game. There was a graphics downgrade but I didn't care. The feeling of tracking down a monster with Witcher senses in a lush jungle felt unreal. When Geralt talked to himself while investigating felt like he was talking directly to me. Unlike other RPGs, I didn't feel like I'm injecting myself to a bland character. It felt like a personal journey that I had with Geralt. It felt like I'm Geralt's best friend instead of playing as him.
Then Angry Joe's review came in. I've never seen him that much happy before. Even after 4 years, childish humor about Triss & sex scenes was still there in video. It felt like me, Joe & CDPR was growing at the same time. I was so happy to see him giving 10/10 for Witcher 3. i really couldn't wait to play it.
YouTube — Mozilla Firefox 1_18_2021 1_10_58 AM.png

Months, after that I started playing Witcher 3. After doing the Bloody Baron questline, I realized that this is the best game I've ever played. All the characters felt so real instead of plot devices that lead me to the next monster hunt. Every side quest had cutscenes, new NPCs & really good writing. There wasn't a difference between the main quest & side quests. There simply wasn't anything out there like Witcher 3. Witcher 3 became the game that I never uninstalled. It was the place that I returned after months of exams & studying. Seriously, education system in my country is so stressful. Even after a heartbreak, Witcher felt like place that I will never get rejected.
I played both Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine. There were no other game with DLCs like that. Improvements they did for B&W from the base game was unreal. I think those 2 were only 25$. But I had fun like those 2 are entire new games. Also, I discovered that my buddy Angry Joe is actually in the game as a Troll in Skellige. I was really happy for him. Everything was going really well.
I heard some things about CDPR developing a game called Cyberpunk based on a table top RPG. At first, I had no idea about it. Table top games were never a thing in my country. However, I trusted CDPR & I believed that they gonna make something special. First trailer for Cyberpunk was just okay but what got me interested is the 2018 demo. It felt like CDPR going all in with the game. The world felt so alive & detailed. I really believed that the quest in the demo was a side quest & there will be many more of these. Then CDPR kicked the marketing up a notch & they even had Keanu. CDPR was the new cool thing in the world. I told everybody to buy Witcher 3 & Cyberpunk. Preorderd the game Day 1. (Thanks so much for regional pricing) I didn't care about delays. I'm gonna play it, when it's ready. However, I didn't understand why CDPR didn't invite Angry Joe to the early gameplay previews.
Also unlike the previous games, I even had a reasonably powerful PC this time.
Then the Virus came & all the universities got closed down in October. I couldn't even go home because they locked down the areas in between. But hey, at least I have the PC & Cyberpunk is coming. Then the game launched. I was really buggy & everybody memed about it. Some people even hated me because I recommended them to preorder. But I can tolerate bugs. If anything happens, I can reload the past save. But the problem was the actual game. It didn't feel like it's made by the guys who made Witcher. Main quest felt like a rushed Call of Duty campaign. There was no room to sit back & breath the Night City. Worst of all, they even added fetch quests called Gigs to replace incredibly detailed side quests in Witcher. Map was a huge mess with a lot of empty areas. Still a lot of big companies that CDPR invited for previews, gave the game 9/10s. CDPR said that they are proud of the PC version that I played.
Few days ago, Angry Joe put out his review. His opinions are the same as mine. Incredibly disappointed to the point of depression.
YouTube — Mozilla Firefox 1_18_2021 1_03_04 AM.png

Before Cyberpunk, I didn't have both a Twitter account and an account to this forum. I just had to come to those platforms and see what's happening.
I created my Twitter a month ago & came to the forum nearly 2 weeks ago.
I saw that Pawel Sasko asking for feedback in his Twitter for the game that they are "Proud Of". If feedbacking myself to the death is what it takes to bring back the guys that made the games I grew up with, I'm gonna do that.

Time is fleeting, But memories are forever.

I think Joe was invited to CDPR for Cyberpunk. He, OJ and Alex are the 3 male preset for V. For the state of the game, between patches, improvements and story DLC I'm cautiously optimitic.

Of course he focused on the PS4. Not the PC or next gen. It was like he was begging for it to fail so he go have his little tirade for them hate bandwagon clicks. Are there issues with the game? Of course. But it came off as he chose the worst possible platform by intent so he could get them low hanging fruit clicks. A bit pathetic IMO.

First Witcher game was released when I was 9 years old. I can't say that I played it at that time because of "ESRB restrictions", but I kinda played it. It was a cool RPG. Then I grew up. I remember seeing Witcher 2 trailer from a digital magazine called "Ray" ten years ago. I was amazed by it's graphics. Coming off the relatively not good looking Witcher 1, Witcher 2 was a miracle for me. It was definitely one of the best looking games at that time.
Around the release of Witcher 2, I found a little review from a guy called Angry Joe. I randomly clicked on it & ended up laughing my ass off. Intro parody about Triss' bathhouse scene cracked me up & it was kinda relatable at that time. I knew Joe was exaggerating things but I felt that he had a passion about the game unlike brain dead reviewers from other major companies. In the end of the video, I understood that this is an special game.
View attachment 11146082
I got to play the game few months after. My computer was only able to handle it at 720p at low settings. But it didn't bother me. Later I bought a GTX 660. Game ran like a dream in that machine. I replayed it so many times that I remember every branching path in that game.
Then CDPR announced Witcher 3. I can't remember watching many trailers and demos for that game because I had so many exams at that time. However, I remember watching the Demo that Geralt hunts a Gryffin. It was literally jaw dropping. It's like everything that I needed in a game. There was a graphics downgrade but I didn't care. The feeling of tracking down a monster with Witcher senses in a lush jungle felt unreal. When Geralt talked to himself while investigating felt like he was talking directly to me. Unlike other RPGs, I didn't feel like I'm injecting myself to a bland character. It felt like a personal journey that I had with Geralt. It felt like I'm Geralt's best friend instead of playing as him.
Then Angry Joe's review came in. I've never seen him that much happy before. Even after 4 years, childish humor about Triss & sex scenes was still there in video. It felt like me, Joe & CDPR was growing at the same time. I was so happy to see him giving 10/10 for Witcher 3. i really couldn't wait to play it.View attachment 11146094
Months, after that I started playing Witcher 3. After doing the Bloody Baron questline, I realized that this is the best game I've ever played. All the characters felt so real instead of plot devices that lead me to the next monster hunt. Every side quest had cutscenes, new NPCs & really good writing. There wasn't a difference between the main quest & side quests. There simply wasn't anything out there like Witcher 3. Witcher 3 became the game that I never uninstalled. It was the place that I returned after months of exams & studying. Seriously, education system in my country is so stressful. Even after a heartbreak, Witcher felt like place that I will never get rejected.
I played both Hearts of Stone and Blood & Wine. There were no other game with DLCs like that. Improvements they did for B&W from the base game was unreal. I think those 2 were only 25$. But I had fun like those 2 are entire new games. Also, I discovered that my buddy Angry Joe is actually in the game as a Troll in Skellige. I was really happy for him. Everything was going really well.
I heard some things about CDPR developing a game called Cyberpunk based on a table top RPG. At first, I had no idea about it. Table top games were never a thing in my country. However, I trusted CDPR & I believed that they gonna make something special. First trailer for Cyberpunk was just okay but what got me interested is the 2018 demo. It felt like CDPR going all in with the game. The world felt so alive & detailed. I really believed that the quest in the demo was a side quest & there will be many more of these. Then CDPR kicked the marketing up a notch & they even had Keanu. CDPR was the new cool thing in the world. I told everybody to buy Witcher 3 & Cyberpunk. Preorderd the game Day 1. (Thanks so much for regional pricing) I didn't care about delays. I'm gonna play it, when it's ready. However, I didn't understand why CDPR didn't invite Angry Joe to the early gameplay previews.
Also unlike the previous games, I even had a reasonably powerful PC this time.
Then the Virus came & all the universities got closed down in October. I couldn't even go home because they locked down the areas in between. But hey, at least I have the PC & Cyberpunk is coming. Then the game launched. I was really buggy & everybody memed about it. Some people even hated me because I recommended them to preorder. But I can tolerate bugs. If anything happens, I can reload the past save. But the problem was the actual game. It didn't feel like it's made by the guys who made Witcher. Main quest felt like a rushed Call of Duty campaign. There was no room to sit back & breath the Night City. Worst of all, they even added fetch quests called Gigs to replace incredibly detailed side quests in Witcher. Map was a huge mess with a lot of empty areas. Still a lot of big companies that CDPR invited for previews, gave the game 9/10s. CDPR said that they are proud of the PC version that I played.
Few days ago, Angry Joe put out his review. His opinions are the same as mine. Incredibly disappointed to the point of depression.
View attachment 11146136
Before Cyberpunk, I didn't have both a Twitter account and an account to this forum. I just had to come to those platforms and see what's happening.
I created my Twitter a month ago & came to the forum nearly 2 weeks ago.
I saw that Pawel Sasko asking for feedback in his Twitter for the game that they are "Proud Of". If feedbacking myself to the death is what it takes to bring back the guys that made the games I grew up with, I'm gonna do that.

Time is fleeting, But memories are forever.
I feel the same bro. It hurts to see such a great IP and so much potential just wasted. They should own their mistakes and re release the game at this rate, really. Cyberpunk deserves more.

Can you at least try to follow the basic rule of the forums, which is to be kind, respectful and not attack other forum users?

Posts deleted, another thread on "to be locked soon" list because you just can't do without hostilities.

Of course he focused on the PS4. Not the PC or next gen. It was like he was begging for it to fail so he go have his little tirade for them hate bandwagon clicks. Are there issues with the game? Of course. But it came off as he chose the worst possible platform by intent so he could get them low hanging fruit clicks. A bit pathetic IMO.

Many millions of fans of CDPR have only played it on consoles. He gave the PC version a higher score.

Before you and others start on your anti Angry Joe stuff, he did talk about the PC version, he played both.

If Angry Joe would have focused on the PC it could have just as easily be said like this:

Of course he focused on the PC. Not the PS4 or next gen. It was like he was begging for it to succeed so he go have his little praise for them bandwagon love clicks. Is the game perfect? Of course not. But it came off as he chose the best possible platform by intent so he could get them low hanging fruit clicks. A bit pathetic IMO.

It's natural for opinions to be more welcome than others depending on whether or not we agree with them and whether or not they support our views and what we feel attached to. Because of this, we'll make allowances for things in one direction but not allow the same things going the other way.

I think most people agree though that the game suffers from huge issues and it's beyond bugs and glitches. None of this however means that someone can't or shouldn't like the game just as because people liking the game doesn't mean the issues go away.

I rarely watch AngryJoe these days. I find his content to be a bit childish at times. That being said, he is a good game critique that I hold in high respect.

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed with his review. AJ gave the story high opinion without mentioning any of its issues like the high amount of fetch quests^W gigs, the lack of great side quests, poor or lacking communication between quest giver and your character, rather short main quest line, the awful pacing of the entire main story, etc.

AngryJoe also stated that "your choices actually matter" while I reckon the majority of choices does not matter at all. I was kind of questioning if we played the same game or not.

I rarely watch AngryJoe these days. I find his content to be a bit childish at times. That being said, he is a good game critique that I hold in high respect.

To be honest, I am a bit disappointed with his review. AJ gave the story high opinion without mentioning any of its issues like the high amount of fetch quests^W gigs, the lack of great side quests, poor or lacking communication between quest giver and your character, rather short main quest line, the awful pacing of the entire main story, etc.

AngryJoe also stated that "your choices actually matter" while I reckon the majority of choices does not matter at all. I was kind of questioning if we played the same game or not.
I remember in one of his videos before the new year he said that he wasn't looking forward to the review because he knew he was going to catch flak from one side or the other due to the division of the fanbase. He probably decided to do his best to give a little meat to each side and hoped not to get caught in the middle. That's my thinking at least.

I remember in one of his videos before the new year he said that he wasn't looking forward to the review because he knew he was going to catch flak from one side or the other due to the division of the fanbase. He probably decided to do his best to give a little meat to each side and hoped not to get caught in the middle. That's my thinking at least.
I caught that as well. I kind of hoped that he'll stall the review for another week or so in order to review the 1.1 version "which could be better, maybe, I hope?" but I understand that he had to release before everyone completely looses interest in the topic.

I understand that he had to release before everyone completely looses interest in the topic.
I wouldn't worry about that lol. People love to watch a trainwreck and the division between the fans will act as fans giving oxygen to the fire. As long as there are guards, theres is something to be protected and as long as there is something to be protected there is something to be attacked. The fires will continue to rage on.

Well obviously he focused on it since it's the version that is the most broken. What did you expect? It's not like CDPR or any other company was made to release it in consoles. They just wanted to cash in. So then CDPR, fix your game. It doesn't deserve more than what he had given it. How fair would it be if he deliberately downplayed the PS4 version in order to give it a better score, rather than the one this game actually deserves at this point.

Can't say I like the guy. I find him highly annoying.

I did try to watch the review video itself and ended up skipping a lot of it. He does end it on a very positive note which apparently everyone conveniently leaves out. His PC score is 6/10 which I think is fair if you take everything into account.

A 2/10 for the PS4 version at release is definitely fair. That thing was/is broken as all hell.

But again, he ends it on a very positive and hopeful note. I can't say I disagree with him.

Can't say I like the guy. I find him highly annoying.

I did try to watch the review video itself and ended up skipping a lot of it. He does end it on a very positive note which apparently everyone conveniently leaves out. His PC score is 6/10 which I think is fair if you take everything into account.

A 2/10 for the PS4 version at release is definitely fair. That thing was/is broken as all hell.

But again, he ends it on a very positive and hopeful note. I can't say I disagree with him.
I'm in the same boat. Never thought I would be defending Angry Joe and Jason Schreier a few months ago.

Top Bottom