About CDPR's attitude

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 4478408

op is mostly nonsense exept for the part where it was at the very least shady to disallow console footage pre launch and base modell last gen console performance, and this is 3 of 5 points the op made.

the part of weapons only customizable by silencers and scope is bs. dont know what game op is playing, i have also mods for my guns to customize them furtzer and i can use the crafting menue to upgrade them..

as use for money, you can also eat or drink or rent a hooker or buy junk or whatever. again not true what op claims.

that said. of course i would wish for car or character customization. im sure we will see this with future content. there are chop chops in town.

I honestly think they're doing OK, they released the game, they are patching it, a little bit of radio silence while they get things done does not bother me.

Sure, they are doing 'ok'. But I hope this was sufficiently humbling experience for them and they won't promise us the moon next time. They are hitting slightly above par right now. They are no different from any other studio like they tried to advertise themselves as.

Best approach for them is indeed patching the game in radio silence in what we call "minimizing the damage" stage.

Yea, COVID specifically was not as big of a roadblock to IT-companies as people try making it out to be. We made all our deadlines this year, some teams even worked better/more efficiently from home...
What was a big roadblock?

>Said you can customize scope and suppressor
>Let's you customize scope and suppressor

You have a problem with them giving an example of what you can do that you can actually do? Am I missing something here?

Yes, I would say you are missing something here. Either deliberately or accidentally, only you can say. When they said "for example...", that implied more than the two options that are then stated. It is a purposely deceitful use of language. As for the "mod" slots, yes you could count those, but again, not what some would be meaning by customization.

Indeed. In a lot of cases what they promised was technically true, but it was also the ONLY thing that we got. The marketing was misleading in that it implicated that they would have more things up their sleeve, when in fact they didn't. What we saw, was the ONLY thing we got.

I remember watching the Doctor Viktor ripperdoc scene and was like: "its supercool if I go through something like this every time I visit a ripperdoc". Guess what, Viktor scene is in the game, but ripperdocs are just standard vendors. I plug in my implants like they are band-aids. No negative effects, no visuals, no nothing. Same goes for many things. They just went with the bare minimum in whatever they said. Enough to prove their promises right, but nothing past that.

They said that there are prostitutes whose services you can pay for, and there is an equal amount of male and female ones. True, there is one of each. Not exactly the thing I was expecting.

You could argue that CDPR was very open in what they were doing, but if I had known that they were literally hiding nothing but the story from us, I would have had very different expectations and been much less hyped.

ps. I still continue being appalled in where the heck did six years with a 500-man team with 100+ million budget GO? Is this criminally ineffficient managing? Other companies produce better results in less time. You can't even argue that CDPR work is LESS buggy than something Bethesda has done for example. Thats not even an excuse anymore. You can't argue that they were granting their developers better conditions and more lenient work schedule. CP2077 falls dramatically short from bar set by Fallout 4 for example, despite the games having a ton of similarities. I'm struggling to come up with excuses.

You make some valid points, but that's specifically why I call overhype being the real issue underneath all this. People played CP2077 in their heads before it released. They got carried away, for most, from what was implied but not from what was actually shown at the different stages of the marketing campaign. And as always when you overhype something and follow a trend, you end up being disappointed.

More over, you can't really ask for less crunch in this industry yet always want more and more features out of what a game could possibly be.

Bottom line : people should learn how to distance themselves a bit from clickbait videos and hype trains.

PS : as for the budget, because a LOT of people actually don't realize this... do you have the slightest idea how much it costs to pay for voice overs in so many languages with hundreds of hours of dialogue ? Might give you a clue where all this money is going. Rockstar, for example, who many here consider the greatest studio ever (I clearly don't), didn't bother doing it for RDR2 with even a higher budget and notoriety.
CDPR is very consumer friendly in regards to languages and localization, always have been, and I really like them for that.
And then, look at the handmade animations and MOCAP used during the dialog scenes when you're having missions. That's also very costly.

Last edited:
To be honest I've become a fan of CDPR because of witcher 3, but I really don't have too much faith to this company right now. It seems much more bitchy than before and did a lot of things it would never do. I don't know how you think about this, please share your ideas.

Overreacting and dramatising. CDPR was working on the biggest open world game ever, in a times of pandemic (yea dont mention funny "8 years" or 4 years, we are talking about 2019/2020), with huge pressure from investors and overall hype to realease it as soon as possible. You have no idea what was going on in there, what they had to deal with, what compromises they propably had to make and so on. But ofc its super easy to judge from selfish perspective, as most people nowadays do, which is so popular to do in any cultural aspect, politics, sports etc etc. Add to this their almost crystal clear imige before the release and numerous haters who were simply waiting for too long just for some CDPRs mistake to release the wave of hate and you get the current mixture of what is happening on internet. + people there are in addition numerous opportunists who try to get views from that hate train. Which comes back to what i wrote at begining. Overreacting and dramatising. Personally i enjoy this game a lot and im grateful for the studio to release it in this hard time and that they are working to make it better. It was rushed, i have no idea why, but i definitly dont blame studio for that as i know that world is not that simple lol.

please share your ideas.

There you go.

Galaxy is their centralized platform. It is required to update the game. Once it's done, go ahead and close Galaxy and run the game from the .exe located in the bin folder which is itself located in the game's folder.

The problem lies on both sides of the fence. Those saying the game is fine as is are wrong, there are many issues. Those saying the game is an unplayable mess are just as wrong. That's the real problem today, there is no nuances, it's all extremes. A bit like you just did, calling CP an alpha? Not even close. A beta is getting closer and saying it could be branded early release... now that's much more on point.

But again, no one deals in moderation anymore and that's just wrong.

I mean, you just said if you defend the game you shouldn't install patches? What kind of reasoning is that? Of course install patches. Even you think the game is great in it's current state, of course download patches, anything that makes it better is worth downloading. That's just common sense.

On the other side you have people saying the game is great, CDPR did nothing wrong and it's consumers who misunderstood. Which is just plain wrong. CDPR promised the moon and gave you a 2 meter squared island. Going around telling people they are wrong for even believing 10% of what CDPR advertised is just as wrong as acting like CDPR killed your dog.

Both sides need to see that the game is seriously flawed but it is also not the unplayable mess some claim it to be. People need to stop hunkering down and getting entrenched in their position and realize there a lot of good stuff in the game and a lot of bad stuff.

If people could be honest instead of sitting at one of those extremes, we could actually get some real conversations in very focused threads that CDPR can actually consult and take decent feedback from. There is much more to gain from actually standing together.

Note that I say this as a PC player and fully understand where current gen consoles players are coming from.

Now I'm done ranting and I realize I wrote all this for absolutely nothing because the point will be lost on most but I don't feel like erasing all of it.

Nah friend, i do read your comment. I should clarify what i mean with alpha/beta statement.

If we chop up the game in different blocks, and say one block is 20% done and another block is 80% done and so on. That is what i mean with alpha/beta version. Some things in the game is almost complete, but some are just in an early alpha stage. Like water physics, alpha. Car physics, beta. A.I still in alpha and so on.

Its a mixed quality through and through. And im more in the middle, the game works for me, but it isnt finished. Its faaar from finished and the more i play the more i see its flaws hiding behind its strength.

I believe the game would be just like they said it would if devs had another year or two more.

Surely it can go to both side but when you may do it like that:

1.Play the Game
2.Think something is missing
3.Checked "hey there is someone listing the problem"
4.checked if the video is Correct.

Than you will maybe see well - there is no need to defend them as it is surely pointed out.

1.They needed more time.
2.They shouldn't have mentioned that they went Gold and only some bugs need to be addressed.
3.They should have listen to Devs and their idea 2018.
4.Their PR now that everything is fine in this game expect the bugs is frustrating.
5.optional I think silverhand shouldn't be so much a main part of the game just because of a celebrity.

Sincerely

Sure, they are doing 'ok'. But I hope this was sufficiently humbling experience for them and they won't promise us the moon next time. They are hitting slightly above par right now. They are no different from any other studio like they tried to advertise themselves as.

Best approach for them is indeed patching the game in radio silence in what we call "minimizing the damage" stage.

Agreed, just another greedy company over selling their product, at the expense of their developers, who woulda thunk. I am in no fanboy club for any company, but they are still doing ok, and the game is as good as I had hoped it would be.

More over, you can't really ask for less crunch in this industry yet always want more and more features out of what a game could possibly be.

I wasn't "Asking for less crunch". I was trying to come up with excuses of where did these developer man-hours and money go, if not the game.

You need to differentiate between "devs" and "exectuives" in this case.

The things you mentioned are all on the exectuives.

The devs weren't part of those decisions.

And it's the devs working overtime over christmas to get you patches like 1.06

So... I still have faith in the devs.

But not those damned corpos!
Not all executives are the same. Specifically, the founders and main shareholder are:
1) Michal Kicinski --> he left the company in 2013, and during and interview he admitted never playing any videogame anymore, not even Witcher 3. I believe he is in just for the money. He is also the guy who made the statement about the "surprising" performances on old consoles
Marcin Ivinsky
2) Marcin Ivinsky --> he is the guy you usually see in the interviews, and he is clearly passionate about videogames, and is the guy who made the statement about "recovering reputation". Hi main purpose in the company is to keep it out of greed.

My personal belief is that CDPR would be a better company if Marcin just found a way to buy Michal shares. When I hear about infighting in upper management of CDPR, I just assumed it is those two not getting along anymore.

Way too much assuming the motives of people you don't know so you dont have to pay attention to their opinion going on in here

I got all I expected from the trailers - the story and graphics.
But the whole gameplay sucks enough that after 80 hours of playing to get all endings, I left irritated by BAD game design and gameplay. I played it on very hard, I rarely died, I oneshotted most of enemies, but somehow gameplay is still annoying clunky piece of mediocrity that spoils all the fun. Just because of gameplay I don't want to play the game anymore at all, I don't know how it is possible. There are games I played for hundreds of hours, doing the same core gameplay loop over and over again and they are still fun, but here is the thing I hate: borderlands-like looter-shooter MMOFPS, with the same leveling and balance mistakes we've seen in the witcher 3. Still, witcher 3 gameplay doesn't get in the way of story and therefore doesn't spoil fun.

Also endings suck.

This game's release solidified CDPR as the same as any other corpo-rat. I wish it was more gradual, this happened too damn fast.
They can still recover. They admitted their mistake (how many corpo do that) and hopefully they will make up for it.

If they where really shady and greedy they would have released Witcher 4 and also Witcher 5 by now, making huge amount of $$, building on the solid foundation of Witcher 3 and reducing development costs by reusing assets.

They took a risk by adventuring into something new for them, and even if everything is not perfect this time, they still delivered on many aspects.

They can still recover. They admitted their mistake (how many corpo do that) and hopefully they will make up for it.

If they where really shady and greedy they would have released Witcher 4 and also Witcher 5 by now, making huge amount of $$, building on the solid foundation of Witcher 3 and reducing development costs by reusing assets.

They took a risk by adventuring into something new for them, and even if everything is not perfect this time, they still delivered on many aspects.
They lied about several things and they admitted their mistake because it's blatant obvious to anyone with a functioning brain. Even on the best platform the game still feels unfinished in several areas. Stop defending a soulless corporate entity that doesn't care about you and only wants your money. Johnny Silverhand would despise you lol.

I know they have released hot fix 1.06 and made a lot of people see "hope" in the game. But don't cry with joy yet. There are things I noticed for quite some time that I want to discuss with you guys. And through these details I'm really concerned and disturbed because somehow they show that CDPR have changed from a studio with conscience to a corp with greed only.

For the advertisement part, they actually did a lot of things to lure players in a really subtle way, I'll list some that I can remember, feel free to add more if you know some.

1. In night city wire they said you could customize your gun "for example scope and suppressor", but in the game you only have scope and suppressor. They are just leading on with the certain terminology they use and leave the blame to players' imagination

2. For the media's rating they allowed them to use PC version only, so the problems on consoles weren't revealed.

3. They only permitted the media to use and edit the video clips they sent to the media in their rating, so the bugs can only be described in the ratings but not displayed in videos before the release of the game

4. In their so called apology they claimed to fail to demonstrate the old console versions so a lot of console players don't know how bad the game is on those platforms. But they CDPR knew exactly what's wrong with them. In their demonstration for ps4pro and xbox they deliberately drove really slowly because they knew if you drive fast the frame rate would drop significantly

5. In the last night city wire they said "you need to decide how to use your dirty money" and showed a lot of things including a rollercoaster kind of rail experience. But they are just trying to imply that you can spend your money in many ways however they avoided saying that explicitly. When players find out they can only buy weapons clothes cars, again it's not CDPR's fault it's your own imagination that fucks your mind.

To be honest I've become a fan of CDPR because of witcher 3, but I really don't have too much faith to this company right now. It seems much more bitchy than before and did a lot of things it would never do. I don't know how you think about this, please share your ideas.

you forgot about "LIFE PATHS" they said you have 3 life paths but our imagination thought our game will be at least little bit different.

I wasn't "Asking for less crunch". I was trying to come up with excuses of where did these developer man-hours and money go, if not the game.

You have to understand very important thing this thing called "Crunch" yes its bad but you also have to know it happens not only for CDPR not only for other game developer studios, but also in many other work places.
I work in a factory and we had multiple crunch times.

you forgot about "LIFE PATHS" they said you have 3 life paths but our imagination thought our game will be at least little bit different.

Exactly. They used really vague descriptions like "your choice leads to different outcomes". God knows how they define outcome. They never say your choices have direct impact on the ending of the story. So you can't sue them for false advertisement since they just cleverly made you speculate with word games. That's one thing I hate the most for today's CDPR. To be honest the game is OK, not what they promised but also not too bad, on PC I mean. But this attitude and these little tricks they play on users just make me really uncomfortable. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom