About draconids

+
Maybe you already know it, maybe not, but the trace of the draconids' attacks is completely broken, their hitbox doesn't work good. While in vanilla this is not important because you won't notice since dodgin' gives you invulneravility, if you install the best mod out there for W3, that is Enhanced Edition, you get to find that you can fight against draconids through intuition and reflexes, but through sloppy movement and circling them, since in this mod dodge invulneravility is taken out. While beating them is possible, is really a pain in the ass since you can't dodge their charge and half of their wing attacks because their hitbox, or trace of attack or whatever you wanna call it is completely broken. It wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't because this enemies are supposed to be some of the most enjoyable fights that you have to fight through skill by timed dodging and so, something that is completely imposible with no invul dodge and this sloppy hitboxes.

To visually aid to explain myself, I will present here a couple of vids where you can see what I mean.

This is the first video, recorded by me, where we can see how the Shrieker charges at me and I don't manage to roll-dodge because of the glitchy area of the attack.

The other one is this, showing a complete fight against the Shrieker in W3EE. Notice how the player simply moves around and how certain times, when he should be hit, he crosses through the wing without taking damage. Also, notice how, however, in the minute 1:45 he is hitted by an attack coming of nowhere and he inmediately after again dodges an attack crossing through the wing. As I state in the description of my video, I suppose this happens because the fictional "area" of the attack , the sort of invisible force area that moves around the Shrieker when it attacks, is desychronized with the model, and moves forward way before the model does, in addition to be wider than it should. Reason for this being, probably, that in vanilla, the fact of having invulneravility in dodgin and rolling moves, attack wouldn't check as have hitted Geralt even if you started rolling or dodgin later than you should, or towards the wrong place, and to avoid this, they decided to make wider and faster than the real model the trace of the attacks of the draconids.

I know that asking for a fix is asking way too much, but if there is anyone of the CDProjekt Red Witcher 3 team looking at this, please either fix or release better modding tools so that modelers modders out there can properly solve this. Otherwise, this great mod that is Witcher Enhanced Edition, that really gives the game a new dimension, will end up having to carry the burden of this error. Pleas, I know you can fix it, but if you don't want to because of how concerned you are about Cyberpunk 2077 (something positive, and I am looking forward to have the game released, big competitor to RDR2 if they were released near), please let someone else do and put things easy so they can do so. I repeat, I think is great you are working hard in Cyberpunk 2077, but give facilities to those people trying to fix the remaining errors in your previous game.

CDPR is focused on Cyberpunk and Gwent at the moment. It's highly unlikely that they will make an exception and start working on a fix for a mod for TW3. Besides, there are a lot of wonderful mods out there that have some minor issues or stopped working after a certain update. Sadly, that's just the way it is.

It probably makes more sense to just contact the modder of this enhanced edition or ask other modders if they can do something about it. For example, check out or mod section:
https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?forums/mods-the-witcher-3.69/

I already contacted the mod and he can't make shit about it right now since he doesn't have the tools. I already told in the topic that is understandable that the team is working on Cyberpunk and is not likely to give a fix for TW3. For TW3, cause the mod does nothing wrong, it only takes out the invul on dodge, but the problem is on the vanilla game with the hitboxes (or traces, or whatever) of the attacks. The fact that in Vanilla is not noticed because of the invul, doesn't mean that the hitboxes for those attacks are not completely broken.

All that I am asking for is new modder tools and/or the code for the draconids npc to see how their hitbox work so that other modders can do something about it.

Lol -- I feel your pain to a great extent. (This is one of the only fights in the game that still offers me some frustration when I play through it each time. :p)

I think what you're saying is a fallacy of reasoning, though. The game was designed with invulnerability in mind -- it's actually the critical element of dodging and rolling. Combat against draconids (and other enemies) was made with that element as a centerpiece. The fights are very fair and possible (if still an imperial pain in the @#$% at times). So, yes, exactly! There is a rather fat AoE attack when the Shrieker charges and dive-bombs. Realistic? No. And neither is the magic-potion-guzzling mutant, flicking about at quadruple human speed, whipping glowing swords around, and summoning blasts of flame out of hopeful thinking. ;)

In this regard, the game was built very much as a "game".

TW3 EE attempts to change that into more of a hardcore simulation. So, it necessarily deviates from the original design. Now, those "unrealistic" hitboxes are getting in the way of the fun...because they weren't designed to be "realistic". They were designed to be a game-related challenge. There's no error. They work perfectly.

Therefore, the only people I could reasonably ask to "fix" this are the modders. It doesn't break the game; it breaks the mod.

And I think removing hitboxes and tightening up animation timing might be a worthwhile venture for the mod!

Lol -- I feel your pain to a great extent. (This is one of the only fights in the game that still offers me some frustration when I play through it each time. :p)

I think what you're saying is a fallacy of reasoning, though. The game was designed with invulnerability in mind -- it's actually the critical element of dodging and rolling. Combat against draconids (and other enemies) was made with that element as a centerpiece. The fights are very fair and possible (if still an imperial pain in the @#$% at times). So, yes, exactly! There is a rather fat AoE attack when the Shrieker charges and dive-bombs. Realistic? No. And neither is the magic-potion-guzzling mutant, flicking about at quadruple human speed, whipping glowing swords around, and summoning blasts of flame out of hopeful thinking. ;)

In this regard, the game was built very much as a "game".

TW3 EE attempts to change that into more of a hardcore simulation. So, it necessarily deviates from the original design. Now, those "unrealistic" hitboxes are getting in the way of the fun...because they weren't designed to be "realistic". They were designed to be a game-related challenge. There's no error. They work perfectly.

Therefore, the only people I could reasonably ask to "fix" this are the modders. It doesn't break the game; it breaks the mod.

And I think removing hitboxes and tightening up animation timing might be a worthwhile venture for the mod!

I in fact thought about that maybe that dodge invulnerability might be the cause of those hitboxes. I mean... maybe with realistic hitboxes + dodge invul, getting hit would be very difficult. Don't get wrong, I already asked W3EE modders to fix, but they told me they do not have the tools or either the code as to fix it, and that they need you to release more powerfull tools to solve the hitboxes problem. Unless of course, there are already some tools out (even if 3rd party) that can be used to fix this, in which case me, and all the w3ee communitty would love to know.

I repeat. I NEVER MEANT TO HAVE CDPR TO WORK WITH THIS HITBOXES if they are key to design or if for any other reason, they don't want to change it, but It'd be nice if you could give use a hint of which tool use to "fix" this. I say "fix" because for vanilla w3 is not a fix, since it seems that work as intended, but for the w3ee design it is needed this as a fix. But yeah, some hints about what to use would be great, cause it seems that for the momment is out of W3EE modders reach.

This said, I don't think that EE tries to be simulation rather than tactical and lore-wise fighting instead of fighting like a whirling machine (and even after nerfed and limited by stamina, whirling is pretty strong) or dodging like a ghost. Yes, it strives for a more hardcore playstyle with more narrow timing that makes the game over-all more difficult in mechanical terms, and strives for a more DS feeling in combat aspects (stamina, no dodge invul). That doesn't mean that it strives for a trully realistic feeling since there is not possible with magic. But one thing is realism understanded as the absence of magic, and another one is realism as a physicaly plausible world, with correlation between the visuals and the damages. I wouldn't mind so much if there was some kind of effect that gives you clue that that attack is so big, like imagine, a wave of air because of it being an special ability of the monster, but without it, you might even not dodge even in Vanilla. And in fact, although rolling or dodging gives invul, true, and that fight in vanilla is way more fair and plausible, true aswell, you might still think that you don't need to roll since the monster is going to fall meters away from you and still being hitten by the AoE. So in some way is also a vanilla problem since vanilla player might not relate the monster to the hitbox (here and here an example), BUT... since most of the times work and the fights are possible to pass, I admit that the problem affects mainly to the mod players.

Aaaand... Seriously. THANKS FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND FOR TAKING TIME TO ANSWER. I say this in capital letters cause I want you to read it very clearly. Not all the companies are this fast into answering neither this polite or empathic. Thanks a lot, but if please, you can help me telling me with which tool can we work on the solution, I will be eternally gratefull.
Post automatically merged:

And apparently, not only draconids.
Post automatically merged:

Not
only
draconids.

All videos from Vanilla. Although I wanna think some of this have already been corrected.

Last edited:
but It'd be nice if you could give use a hint of which tool use to "fix" this...

Thanks a lot, but if please, you can help me telling me with which tool can we work on the solution, I will be eternally gratefull.

That's not something that can happen, unfortunately. As was announced in the past, the work on the REDkit could not continue. Modders will need to deal with the functionality that is available, and I am very impressed by the additional functionality that they've built in so far. I know that a lot of people are disappointed by how everything worked out in the end, but that's the reality, unfortunately. We'll just have to work with what we've got.

That's not something that can happen, unfortunately. As was announced in the past, the work on the REDkit could not continue. Modders will need to deal with the functionality that is available, and I am very impressed by the additional functionality that they've built in so far. I know that a lot of people are disappointed by how everything worked out in the end, but that's the reality, unfortunately. We'll just have to work with what we've got.

Honestly, that's WAY A PITTY, since it stops modders from further enhancing and fixing the errors that might arise, some work wich they are comitted at. Eventually, they will stop modding this great game (because with its flaws, is a great game) and although it would happen anway, it will be much before, and communitty will stop being alive. Is quite a pitty, because EE for example, could be highlighted by some major youtuber, but I am not sure he would if in the first fight about the griffin he is struggling cause of hitbox. And this is a pitty, cause a highlight of this mod by a mayor youtuber would mean hype again, like let's say that they started now fixing hitboxes..., 4 years? I understand that this is not something interesting for CDPR RIGHT NOW since they are more concerned about CP2077, something that I feel great cause I am really hyped on that game and I want to play it, trust me, but I see more hidden potential in TW3 if modders were given better tools. At least, after the release of CP.

Anyway, if REDKit is not gonna happen... any idea of any other 3rd party program that can be used to work on hitboxes, even if it is not the official? Do you know someone who might know?

Top Bottom