About fist fighting

+

Tuco

Forum veteran
@Gothfather - I'm pointing that these animations are unlikely for any actual fighter and these movements and blows would be ineffective even among untrained-but-assumingly-experienced brawlers.

Your constant rebuttal since your first reply is more or less "Who cares about realism, let's talk about fun".
Well, why don't you start your own thread "about fun", then, and let this thread to people who care about arguing competent combat?

@Gothfather - I'm pointing that these animations are unlikely for any actual fighter and these movements and blows would be ineffective even among untrained-but-assumingly-experienced brawlers.

Your constant rebuttal since your first reply is more or less "Who cares about realism, let's talk about fun".
Well, why don't you start your own thread "about fun", then, and let this thread to people who care about arguing competent combat?

Combat in games for the most part is wholly and utterly unrealistic. Why? Because unrealistic combat is fun. You want realism fair enough its a valid position, but so is the position that i don't want realism. when you are talking about, how combat should be, it is perfectly valid for someone to come in and say I think combat should be the exact opposite of your position.

You tried to claim your position was more valid because its objective when it is not, now you are trying to exclude any dissenting opinions when that didn't work.

"every single time a fist fight comes up I can't help but notice how bad it looks." Nothing about this statement is any more valid then "Every time I see a fist fight i can't help but notice how great is looks and how much i want to try it."

The swordmanship is also unrealistic. Geralt vs an armorer shield lancer will last just one stab... Is a game, just have fun :D

Since someone has mentioned running a boxing gym, and how that affects the way he sees the fighting in a video game.... CDPR I run a soccer academy here in Texas, and I believe that the running in The Witcher 3 doesn't look satisfactory in the slightest. Please patch in or update the game in some way so that the character running animations look believable. As I said, I run a professional Soccer Academy here in Texas and seeing them run and then seeing how the characters run seems kinda off.
kkthxbye.

Tuco

Forum veteran
It seems like you people love straw manning, but let's try it again.
The swordmanship is also unrealistic. Geralt vs an armorer shield lancer will last just one stab... Is a game, just have fun :D

We aren't talking about "imperfect simulation", we are talking about anatomic movements that are completely off for fist fighting.
They put at least some effort in this sense with sword fighting, even if the end result is less than 100% accurate... that effort lacks entirely on the hand-to-hand combat, which is not "somewhat inaccurate", but completely not believable.
I'm not saying "If you were an Olympian athlete you'd notice this small detail would be slightly unrealistic", I'm pointing that these characters "boxing" hardly look like goddamn human beings in the process. Their movements are ENTIRELY off compared to reality. And not even in a cool, abstract, stylized way. They are just clumsy and uncoordinated.

Since someone has mentioned running a boxing gym, and how that affects the way he sees the fighting in a video game.... CDPR I run a soccer academy here in Texas, and I believe that the running in The Witcher 3 doesn't look satisfactory in the slightest. Please patch in or update the game in some way so that the character running animations look believable. As I said, I run a professional Soccer Academy here in Texas and seeing them run and then seeing how the characters run seems kinda off.
kkthxbye.
Well, the running looks odd, indeed. Not sure why that would be specifically related to practicing soccer, anyway, buy hey.

Oh, wait. I get it, this must be one of these scenarios where people will defend the game no matter what... because that's a lot more reasonable than admitting it could improve in some area, I guess?

Oh, wait. I get it, this must be one of these scenarios where people will defend the game no matter what... because that's a lot more reasonable than admitting it could improve in some area, I guess?

Haha, nah man I'm just kidding... Sup coach? I also did some street boxing when I was young (we couldn't afford a basketball court, nor a football, or a soccerball for that matter so we found some uncles old boxing gloves and went at it.) I did keep training as I grew up, and YES the punching and movements are kinda an eyesore, but meh its on a feature that is pretty rare, so its really not that big a deal. I mean c'mon coach :p

Could it be improved in this area? Yeah, just like in many other areas. Will the vast vast majority of the players even notice that the movements are as you put it anatomically incorrect? No. Is it a big deal for most of those who do notice? Probably not. Is it worth it for CDPR to spend additional time and money to make it perfect for the few people who do? You be the judge.
I think they did the best they could with what they had.

sub·jec·tive -- Based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
ob·jec·tive -- (of a person or their judgment) not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts.

At work we strive for objective goals whenever possible because we can measure the results. Example: "The fighting is not good or bad" is subjective. "The fighter's stance is too wide by 4 inches for his/her height of 5 foot 10 inches" is objective.

I think sometimes the comments above are both objective and subjective and is causing the disagreement?

I'd be interested in seeing a comparison video if you know of one or could make one. Point out the particular errors.

Top Bottom