About Geforce Now and GOG!

+
Hi, just to make it much more clear:
Not sure 100% how all of the mechanics will come together. I'd be shocked if Nvidia (a company almost exclusively focused on GPU hardware design and production) would team up with Steam/Valve (a company founded on a massive, server-based industry)...and not say, "Hey, as part of our business arrangement, we'd like to use some of your existing servers to get this cloud-based gaming thing going!" And if Steam is interested, I can't see them saying no to that request.

GFN mostly providing access to the same games on different marketplaces: Steam, Origin, Uplay, Epic Store and numerous individual F2P games.
These launchers work independently of any game developer. But developer decides if his game will be available to play on a remote workstation in the specific game store launcher on GFN. Player has to make only one choice "where to buy the game to support developer?"

1.) It will require servers to be available, maintained, and managed.

It works using queue principle and has limited playing time for the free version of GFN. And the same servers are used to launch any other games available on it. If I log in one of the servers using my Steam/Epic account, for example, I will still need to install the game in the launcher because it's just a remote machine.
I don't see any reason why you would need dedicated servers for GOG, if people don't have any difficulties with Witcher games bought from Epic or Steam.

2.) It will require staff to handle all of that.

Well, it will definitely require an explanation of how to bring GOG Galaxy on the server. But otherwise there are no huge differences between Steam/Epic/GOG versions of Witcher 3 for example.

3.) If it doesn't use existing servers, then those servers will need to be purchased.
4.) If it does use existing servers, those servers will no longer be available for their former function. This will obviously affect other areas of business.
5.) These logistical concerns will grow over time. As more people use the service, there will need to be more hardware and personnel to manage it.

These are completely on the NVidia side, they are using multiple launchers on the same machine and provide limited remote desktop access to the player. Pretty much as I will decide to play one of my games on my computer at work via TeamViewer.

Guest 4406876

I'd honestly wait and see how the experience is gonna be on day one for GforceNow concerning CP2077. Considering the lack of GPUs around the world and the massive title it is, I won't be surprised if it wouldn't be accessible with good streaming quality on launch. It's a nice idea for people that don't have the required PC to max it out (I was honestly thinking about that oo) but I'm still not sure it will be a decent experience considering the massive amount of users that will be most likely playing at the same time.

I'm scared now, I just tried the Watchdogs Legion and it looked terrible with the RTX activated ... With Metro: EXODUS was going great, I didn't know that nvidia geforce now was a project with steam (but I always thought they should team up), but now I understand that since Watchdogs uses uPlay, the service is worse.
Hope Cyberpunk loaded from steam looks the same as Metro...

Also be careful what you wish for, as Geforce Now only supports 1080p and usually only runs the games at low to medium settings. AKA, might as well play it on a console. But I get the request, streaming enables people without the hardware to jump into the PC versions, no matter how limited.

Also be careful what you wish for, as Geforce Now only supports 1080p and usually only runs the games at low to medium settings. AKA, might as well play it on a console. But I get the request, streaming enables people without the hardware to jump into the PC versions, no matter how limited.

I can run many games on GFN using RTX 2080d Rig, with 1080p and Ultra Graphics, and I'm talking about demanding games, like Just Cause 4, Watch Dogs 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, The Division 1 and 2, and many others. Even Kingdom Come: Deliverance runs between 40 and 60 fps, with this Rig.

Consoles, before the new PS5 and Xbox Series X, cannot have the same performance, so, I think GFN can run the game pretty fine.

I can run many games on GFN using RTX 2080d Rig, with 1080p and Ultra Graphics, and I'm talking about demanding games, like Just Cause 4, Watch Dogs 1 and 2, Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey, The Division 1 and 2, and many others. Even Kingdom Come: Deliverance runs between 40 and 60 fps, with this Rig.

Consoles, before the new PS5 and Xbox Series X, cannot have the same performance, so, I think GFN can run the game pretty fine.

"Run" them? Yes. Probably.

Run numerous, simultaneous instances of a given game on a single server, while also receiving and processing input commands via the internet, then trying to sync individual frames and stream them back over the internet in real-time...for every single concurrent user?

It's a great idea, but no one will convince me it will run without major issues when it goes live. My guess is that there will be ongoing performance and connectivity issues for at least a few years. And that's not even taking into account the normal variety of game bugs and client-side issues that will invariably pop up.

Still -- if it's ever going to work -- have to start somewhere!

"Run" them? Yes. Probably.

Run numerous, simultaneous instances of a given game on a single server, while also receiving and processing input commands via the internet, then trying to sync individual frames and stream them back over the internet in real-time...for every single concurrent user?

It's a great idea, but no one will convince me it will run without major issues when it goes live. My guess is that there will be ongoing performance and connectivity issues for at least a few years. And that's not even taking into account the normal variety of game bugs and client-side issues that will invariably pop up.

Still -- if it's ever going to work -- have to start somewhere!

Well, actually, I'm not trying to convince anyone. No need for that!
It is free to create an account on GFN and test any game you have, for 1 hour per session.
You don't need to guess or think about that, just try and see for yourself, anytime!

I do use it on founders account for about 7 months, and I'm pretty satisfied with the results, for most games.

Well, actually, I'm not trying to convince anyone. No need for that!
It is free to create an account on GFN and test any game you have, for 1 hour per session.
You don't need to guess or think about that, just try and see for yourself, anytime!

I do use it on founders account for about 7 months, and I'm pretty satisfied with the results, for most games.

To add to this: you don't even need to install anything either, since they recently made it available through browsers on PC and Linux. You have to use a user-agent switcher though, because it's meant to only work like this on chromebooks.

To add to this: you don't even need to install anything either, since they recently made it available through browsers on PC and Linux. You have to use a user-agent switcher though, because it's meant to only work like this on chromebooks.

And that's a smart move on the dev's side. However, it's highlighting my point. Sign up for a time. One hour limit. I wonder what would happen if they said, "Open beta test! Come one, come all!"

I strongly believe this is one of those times in life when people have a wonderful idea, and all of the tools they need to start building it...but they've got pipe dreams about how long it's going to take to actually implement it and are not accurately taking into account the sheer amount of infrastructure it's going to take to support it.

This is what I would expect from GFN when it goes live:
1.) You'll need to "schedule" times you want to play games. Those time slots will be very, very limited. (I'd expect "packages". Morning package, evening package, all-day package, etc. And I expect people will be put in qeues and never manage to actually get into the game.)
2.) Without a fibre-optics connection, you're going to get abysmal performance, response times, and connectivity.
3.) With fibre-optics, you'll probably still suffer from regular issues.
4.) It's going to wind up with an extremely limited library of games that actually work...and many of those are going to be older games or simpler, single-player games. So, something like Halo 1 remastered with scaled down graphics...not Doom Eternal.
5.) Actual in-game bugs and glitches are going to be the icing on the cake, rendering some games virtually unplayable.

The "testing" thing going on now should be viewed as a control group. It's the people building GFN using programs they know will work best, with numbers they know they can manage, specifically testing for issues and what not -- like any "beta test". Once those numbers increase by orders of magnitude, we can compare notes to my points above and see what happens.

And I'd be happy to be wrong! If I'm wrong, that means we have a whole library of games that people can play on virtually any device streamed seamlessly over the internet, whether they own a gaming system or not. That would be a w00t!

The "testing" thing going on now should be viewed as a control group. It's the people building GFN using programs they know will work best, with numbers they know they can manage, specifically testing for issues and what not -- like any "beta test". Once those numbers increase by orders of magnitude, we can compare notes to my points above and see what happens.

What you call testing, I have 2 facts that I usually don't talk about, but may clarify some ideas about the service in general:

- I'm brazilian, I live in Rio de Janeiro, and I use, as all the entire South America continent, just 1 server from all of the list, the South2 Server. This Server is not installed here in South America, there are no Servers here. Actually, GFN doesn't even support my country. The only reason I have a founders account, is because I have a cousin that lives in USA and have created the login for me. I don't even use any VPN to connect or play. Even if I always have MUCH more latency than people that uses servers in their country, I'm still satisfied with the quality. Really satisfied! The only games I don't play using the service, is multiplayer games, because latency give me a big disadvantage.

- The entire South America uses this server, mostly as free account. There are a lot of people using this server, and the only bad thing is the waiting line to enter the server, a line the only appears for free accounts. I don't have this issue, but i can assure you that just in my country there are a LOT of people using free accounts, specially with phone apps, and they are really satisfied.

My point is, you can imagine a lot of things about the service, but only testing it you will really see the pros and cons. I'm not saying that is already perfect, but the real thing is that it is already far from a dead idea, just the way the infrastructure is now. If only 1 of their many servers can maintain an entire continent, that don't even should be connected there, what do you think they can do when there are servers for it?

GFN really have a lot to evolve, but I can assure you, it is far from a dead idea!

Hey,
Wanted to say that you are incredible guys!!

Today I read that GFN finally adds GOG to GFN and Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 will be available there soon.
One of the greatest days in this year. I hope GOG and GFN will be very fruitful.

Have a nice evening!

Hey,
Wanted to say that you are incredible guys!!

Today I read that GFN finally adds GOG to GFN and Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 will be available there soon.
One of the greatest days in this year. I hope GOG and GFN will be very fruitful.

Have a nice evening!

I heard about it on reddit, but I couldn't find any official news about it!
Could u please link anything here?
It will be AWESOME if it's true!

Top Bottom