About new drawing cards mechanic.

+
About new drawing cards mechanic.

About the drawing cards mechanic. I wrote about it on polish forum already. And we have a really heated discussion about it there.
Some players like the new mechanic (including me) and some dont like it because as they say "theres too much RNG involved around it".

So maybe going for a compromise is a good idea. Why not to make that drawing mechanic works like a spy cards. So for example: at the begining of second round we will draw two cards, one will be shown to us and other wont. After we will decide which option we want to go (RNG, Non-RNG) we are getting second set of two cards. That way we would have much more control over what we are doing and we could still have all the positives which comes with that drawing mechanic.

About the drawing cards mechanic. I wrote about it on polish forum already. And we have a really heated discussion about it there.
Some players like the new mechanic (including me) and some dont like it because as they say "theres too much RNG involved around it".

So maybe going for a compromise is a good idea. Why not to make that drawing mechanic works like a spy cards. So for example: at the begining of second round we will draw two cards, one will be shown to us and other wont. After we will decide which option we want to go (RNG, Non-RNG) we are getting second set of two cards. That way we would have much more control over what we are doing and we could still have all the positives which comes with that drawing mechanic.

And what are the positives from drawing these cards in the first place?
Your suggestion is an interesting one but it does not changes a thing form me. At the beginning of first round i still won't know what kind of card would i get, so it will make me play conservatively in the first round. and still provides to much of a random element.

The only solution i could get behind is if i knew what this extra cards would be before the game starts. So for example when you draw your hand, you also draw extra cards you will get in second and third round with possibility of one extra redraw for these extra card. That way i could plan when next rounds aswell

And what are the positives from drawing these cards in the first place?
Your suggestion is an interesting one but it does not changes a thing form me. At the beginning of first round i still won't know what kind of card would i get, so it will make me play conservatively in the first round. and still provides to much of a random element.

The only solution i could get behind is if i knew what this extra cards would be before the game starts. So for example when you draw your hand, you also draw extra cards you will get in second and third round with possibility of one extra redraw for these extra card. That way i could plan when next rounds aswell

The biggest positive is that even with super shitty hand you still have at least a small chance to win a match. Because with drawing more cards mechanic your whole deck is more important than your 10 cards - RNG - hand only. Rethas from CDProject RED already ponted out other positives which i;m not gonna quote here again.

Hmm that is also a really interesting idea. I think they could somehow mix both of those into 1.

Example: At the begining of the game we are drawing as always 10 cards as our hand with 3 redraws and for example 6 cards as our extra cards with 1 card redraw. Than those could be drawed with a spy mechanic as said above. That would still keep a little bit of that gambling/unknown excitement with huge amount of our control.

the cards each deck draws the less important bluffing in the early game is, this is a huge change on how the game is played and yes I read the what they said but if decks are lose because of spies, make spies 12,15 or 20, make them lose that round to draw more, getting more cards just drags out games, games in kts were 10 mins long gwent games should be faster then that.

the cards each deck draws the less important bluffing in the early game is, this is a huge change on how the game is played and yes I read the what they said but if decks are lose because of spies, make spies 12,15 or 20, make them lose that round to draw more, getting more cards just drags out games, games in kts were 10 mins long gwent games should be faster then that.

I dont see the point here. How is drawing a cards prevent bluffing in your opinion? Poker is all about bluffing and drawing a cards. And with mechanics which we wrote above (no matter which one ull chose) u still have a huge control over what ur doing.

getting more cards just drags out games, games in kts were 10 mins long gwent games should be faster then that.

Well thats your opinion. I personally like longer, competitive matches. So for me longer the match the better. Where it says that gwent matches should be 5 mins long ? By doing that you gonna spend more time looking for oponents and in - redraw your hand - screen than in actual match. Also we all want Gwent to be successful on a E-sport field, and i dont see how its gonna be excited to watch from a viewer point of view when a match will be over before they will open their popcorn bag. With short 5 min matches, wheres the tension? Where is the build up?

Last edited:

:up:This is the solution!:up:

Or calling this a "Casual mode" and still let us play the "Advanced mode" could work too. :yes

If they want to have more card to play just increase the hand size at the start of the game. Drawing cards in the middle of the match kinda decrease the strategic aspect of gwent.

Edit - They also can make new ability for card that can give free replace at the mulligan state especially muster card.

Last edited:
The new card drawing between rounds depresses me to no end. There can be arguments for both sides, but the main thing for me was that the 10 card hand for the duration of the game was a unique feature in the Digital TCG market. It made Gwent stand out and was used endlessly in marketing for that reason. To betray that just seems like the company is unsure of its product and also extremely susceptible to community demands, which will always be outrageous and contradictory.

If they split modes, that's okay and I guess satisfies everyone, but it also divides the community and that's bad for the game in the long term.

I hope CDPR is able to tune out all the noise and focus on the mechanics that were interesting because they were deliberately restrictive. Restriction breeds creativity.

I'm gonna quote a post from another thread here, because I think it's very relevant. Maybe some people can look at it, say their opinion, agree or disagree on it. The first quote (inside the other quote) is from another person who posted this (very well worded) point. I responded after that with my own take on it.

You have stated that one of the reasons for that change (drawing additional cards) was to create a game to is a bit more fair. I think you have managed to achieve opposite. I think we can all agree that allowing for additional card drawing brings a bigger element of randomness to second and third round as you cannot predict what cards you will actually get. I think we can also agree that the less cards you posses the more impact these extra card will have on your round. If you have 10 cards and draw additional card, it will have little impact. However, if you have 2, that card may determine whether you will win or lose the game. Now, the question is, how many cards players usually have when entering third round? A few, probably less than 6, sometimes you will have 1 or 2 cards. Keeping that in mind, the impact of that extra card in third round upon the outcome of the round (game really, cos this is the deciding round) will be massive. You can receive a hero card or clear weather. This leads me to conclusion that a lot of games will be decided by lucky draws in third rounds. Here is an example how random luck can potentially affect the outcome of a game:
https://youtu.be/2gE2spCeZmM?t=1612

Now, its not a perfect example but it shows how luck plays a part in Gwent atm. Not only a monster player got a toad with 13 strength as part of monsters ability but it receives a better card from deck based on luck alone. Now, we can disregard toad for a second. Its not hard to imagine situations where players are coming towards third round each having 1 or zero cards in their hands, totally depending on that extra card that will be drawn. My question is, do we want a tactical game like Gwent being resolved by a lucky draw in third round? I am aware that its not gonna happen every time you play but impact of that draw will be significant. There is nothing skill or tactical based about it, just hoping you gonna get a decent card.

I agree with the general sentiment, though I would not like the draw mechanic to be removed completely as I said in other threads. Up until now my solution was to reduce the card draw after round 1 from 2 cards to 1 card. But maybe the better solution is NOT allowing the player to draw a card after round 2 (before round 3)? If you eliminate the card draw in round 3 it means every player goes into the last round with the cards they are left with, no lucky draws, but since you still draw 2 cards in round 2 (after round 1) it means you still have the card draw mechanic implemented to some extend, allowing for more flexibility in round 2, while ensuring that round 1 and 3 are not based on a lucky draw and remain strategically significant.

Top Bottom