About the Immersion & Lifesim Elements

+
My main character in GTA Online is a chain smoker and a hard drinker...plus she has a sweet tooth so celebrates each successful mission with a candy bar, a beer or a smoke. I'd be all for some lite sim stuff like that, or remember Sleeping Dogs, and buying food and tea from the vendor on the streets? It wasn't necessary, but it was a nice extra touch to enhance my being in the game world.

I'm all about adding little life sim elements and animations into a game. Lots of people hated the long animations in RDR2, but I loved them. So yeah, I'd be perfectly content to see V physically changing clothes, cooking, drinking, eating, using medicines, laying down to sleep and etc. The slower moments make a nice contrast to action sequences.
I dunno, man...I like the idea of the animations, but RDR2 went a bit overboard with them, at least the initial release. Luckily, Rockstar heard the complaints and finally listened by at long last speeding up the search and loot animations, but before that? Soooooooo agonizingly slow...made me not want to loot, and with cash so hard to come by in that game, that wasn't a good thing. If we get these kind of small sim lite stuff, good deal...just maybe not quite as arduous and time-consuming as the initial release of RDR2, IMO.

"SynthCoke: The second generation, synthetic replacement for cocaine. Like the original, its side effects are nasty: paranoia, psychological addiction. The effects lasts between 2-7 minutes. It costs 1,000eb, and is difficult to find. "

Give me that!

Last edited:
Rockstar heard the complaints and finally listened by at long last speeding up the search and loot animations, but before that? Soooooooo agonizingly slow...made me not want to loot, and with cash so hard to come by in that game, that wasn't a good thing.
I liked the slower pace. :shrug:

Cyberpunk 2077 did have a scene like that. In the 48 minute gameplay demo, V sits down with that Maelstrom gang member and takes a hit from his inhaler. It was optional whether you did it or not.

"SynthCoke: The second generation, synthetic replacement for cocaine. Like the original, its side effects are nasty: paranoia, psychological addiction. The effects lasts between 2-7 minutes. It costs 1,000eb, and is difficult to find. "

Give me that!
It's strange, as i remember the polar opposite: all kinds of drugs, including drugs with no bad side effects.

Last edited:
I liked the slower pace. :shrug:
Then, my friend, you were a rare breed because on the RDR2 forums, that was a popular complaint. It was cool the first few times, but after a major shootout and you're trying to get paid by looting, it wasn't a good scene for near half minute pat-down animation for close to a dozen bodies while you have NPCs nagging you to hurry up. :censored:

Recently I have played Metro Exodus and in the game, there was a chance to smoke a cigarette. I felt it was so *immersive*, just chatting with some person, watching the scenes running out into the behind through the windows.. it was very personal experience. I mean, it was felt like I am in-game character itself. Am I exaggerating? I hope not. Because I really felt that way
that's why I always say that animations (in particular if interactive) are what make a game immersive, much more than simple perspective (RDR2 is the most immersive game I've ever played due to its animations and physics).

Then, my friend, you were a rare breed because on the RDR2 forums, that was a popular complaint. It was cool the first few times, but after a major shootout and you're trying to get paid by looting, it wasn't a good scene for near half minute pat-down animation for close to a dozen bodies while you have NPCs nagging you to hurry up. :censored:

That's why that kind of stuff should be on the optional side imo. If you're gonna do a slow animation on a gameplay loop that players are going to repeat hundreds of times... yeah, not the best idea.

Pacing is important, some like it fast, some like it slow, it's better to let the players be able to choose to an extent, and "accompany" that choice, idealy.

Cyberpunk isnt GTA though. If you read wiki like this: https://cyberpunk.fandom.com/wiki/Drugs

"The drugs of the future are far more lethal than their 20th century counterparts. Many are experimental chemicals dumped on the Street by unscrupulous Corporations looking for guinea pigs. Some are home-brewed horrors designed in basement labs. Still others are military-designed combat drugs designed to create armies of zombie killing machines. All of them are bad news. "

They probably laugh at weed and cigarettes. Its dystopia, Cyberpunkers like their drugs lethal, imagine some underground real world club, where people like to make "drug cocktails" and mix evevything together, that sounds Cyberpunk to me. Some rich people might smoke to show off their wealth though.

Yeah, hard drugs, thats what I gotta say. Not damn baby stuff.

Not like the corpos would just stop selling a moneymaker like cigarettes just because they are also selling supermeth. In fact, the casual drugs would have the biggest markets. You make consistent profits by not killing your customers, or at least not killing them fast, and many more people would buy weed or cigarettes over something like synthcoke. Any reasonably self-serving company should be pushing the "safe" option like crazy. Sure, the future of cigarette deregulation has made them 50x more toxic and 10x as addictive, but that's pretty tame compared to what else is out there.

So what do you think? Is it a good idea? Hope this feature exist? Or is it unnecessary?

You can smoke in GTA5 online (its an emote for as long as you have bought cigarettes from a shop, need to purchase them separately), and I always smoke one after a mission to relax.

(Ofc you can also smoke weed in GTA, but that wasnt the topic)

Cyberpunk isnt GTA though.
Yet it uses the exact same "get rich or die trying" mentality? I mean that literal quote was in one of the promo images..

Top Bottom