[ACT I] Have trouble with fighting - any tips?

+
[ACT I] Have trouble with fighting - any tips?

I struggled with the Salamandras (seeing the same cut scene over and over and over again in order to fight again is NO fun). Now I'm up to the Beast fight scene and despite that I now have potions up the wazoo, am refighting this over and over. Can't make bombs yet for some reason. Maybe I need a clue about Blizzard? I get beat in 2 seconds flat using Blizzard and yet it's supposed to be a great potion to use.Any advice?(Hey, I'm 66 years old and have slower reflexes so be gentle on the comments.)

well, no matter how cool geralt attack animations are you shouldnt stay in place to enjoy them when you are facing boss or enemy with superiority in numbers. the longer you stay in place, the more hits you'll recieve. try running around the battlefield with swallow and tawny owl potions. stop only for one-two group style attacks. this short moments are enough for barghests to hit you but you'll regenerate while running around thanks to swallow. with a bit of patience the beast should fall just by reaching it from afar with group style.that was the hard wayeasy way is to max aard sign and spam it with tawny owl. with a bit luck you'll stun the beast and finish her/him/it off with one hit.combining these two methods give best result because softened enemies are more susceptible to stun and knockdown. enemy with health halved are 4 times less resistant to aard effects.

To save some time you could try to create a quick save game by pressing F5 after the cutscene. To make bombs you need a certain skill from intelligence tree, I think and as far as I remember it is a silver talent. No joke... in my second run of the game I finished the beast within 3 seconds. Aard at level 2, knocked it and finish.I can't understand why you get beaten so fast. Even without the swallow potion Geralt has enough HP to survive a while.

Thanks for the help.I'll try some of those suggestions. I think I have not been moving around and that's the main problem. I also just noticed in the guide book that you can double-click and jump over to another spot. Will try that.I've tried to save after cut scenes and it usually does not work, but will try again.Again -thanks! :)

Try using Specter Oil-barghests and the Beast count. Other than that, try to manuever in such a way that you are only fighting the barghests and not the Beast.

I think you get about 1/2 a second after the cutscene, just before combat starts, when you can save.Try hitting F5 a lot.Also, to shorten cutscene, left-clicking on the screen shortens someone's line (when spoken by haren, or whatever), and after all decisions are made, hit esc to skip the rest.

Don't become desperate when you have trouble with the Beast ;) Many player struggle here. Did you read throught the Beast thread? There are many tips how to defeat the Beast.Specter Oil is a good advise. If you missed to get the oil / recipe from Abigail you can create it using the ingredients http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Specter_Oil you will receive an 'Unknown oil' but when you apply it the coating reveals Specter Oil.

Specter Oil is definitely the way to go. You'll clear out Bargests in one swipe with that applied.The Beast fight was hard (I'm on my first run through the game, on Hard no less) and I enjoyed it a lot. It took me many times to beat it. I was ALMOST frustrated but not quite.1) Use Specter Oil before the cutscene.2) Pause as soon as fight begins. Use Blizzard2) Use Group Style and fight the Bargests that are attacking Abigail. Anytime she's being attacked, move to defend her.3) When all the Bargests are dead, drink a Swallow (You've probably taken a little damage but shouldn't be much)4) Use a combination of Fast Style and Aard on the Beast. If he summons additional Bargests, use Group style to wipe them out. Run away and let Swallow heal your HP if you can. Abigail will also heal you if you keep her alive.It might not be the best strategy, but it worked for me (after a lot of tries getting it right)

I hope you are playing on medium. Second thing is, when in doubt press spacebar, pause your game, prepare for next move etc. It also makes easier to make combos. Also the idea is to be at level 9 or 10 when facing the beast. By using spectre oil, strong style and swallow you should be able to beat it. Also, when nearing the end of cutscene before fight, try by quickly pressing quicksave button to save it just before the fight. On my first run, I thought beast was impossible, then I started from the scratch, and in second run, beat it easily. I think the spectre oil is the key thing.

Question: does Abigail actually 'die" if she reaches zero vitality? In my playthrough she survived through the fight with the Beast,
but fell during the battle with the villagers. Yet at the end she stood up and thanked Geralt.

Hamenaglar said:
I hope you are playing on medium. Second thing is, when in doubt press spacebar, pause your game, prepare for next move etc. It also makes easier to make combos. Also the idea is to be at level 9 or 10 when facing the beast. By using spectre oil, strong style and swallow you should be able to beat it. Also, when nearing the end of cutscene before fight, try by quickly pressing quicksave button to save it just before the fight. On my first run, I thought beast was impossible, then I started from the scratch, and in second run, beat it easily. I think the spectre oil is the key thing.
Since when has it been easier to use combos when pausing? I play Hard difficulty only and every single time I pause the game, my combos get completely screwed. There are several different ways of dealing with the Beast, some more difficult than others. The Beast thread is a fount of good information, though it is interspersed with far more whining than is warranted.

TKaz84 said:
Question: does Abigail actually 'die" if she reaches zero vitality? In my playthrough she survived through the fight with the Beast,
but fell during the battle with the villagers. Yet at the end she stood up and thanked Geralt.
I never really had that happen to me as far as I know she will get up till you trigger the quest to get her home safe then if she is attacked she will take damage and die of you don't protect her

The Beast can't kill Abigail. If she loses all her hit points, she'll fall to the ground and look dead, but she'll regenerate hit points as she's lying there, and eventually she'll get up again. If the plot requires you, you don't die. :)

i think you mean that if the plot requires someone OTHER than Geralt, they don't die ;) ... i've led my poor witcher to his death a few times

gamewidow said:
i think you mean that if the plot requires someone OTHER than Geralt, they don't die ;) ... i've led my poor witcher to his death a few times
One of the times I started the game, the first one, in fact, I did the crypt before killing Nadir. When I went to whack her and the drowners, Mikul charged from Miller's gate right into their midst and propmtly got his arse kicked. Fell down into the water with a quarter showing in his health bar. Once the drowners were all dead, he got back up, none the worse for wear. Siegfried and Abigail also display this behavior, probably some others too but haven't seen them yet.

Took me ages to beat the Beast :mad:What worked for me in the end was to use aard on him, go in for a quick couple of hits and then MOST importantly - run for your life! I ran round and round intil I got all my endurance etc back, and then repeated.After a few aard attacks the beast will go down and you can finish him off ;DThat was on medium btw.

doesnt work as good on hard though (as i know you know game widow ;) ), the beast is a lot less likely to get stunned there. but yes, running around helps :)

you sure have more training than i do. i couldnt rely on aarding on hard, although it might result in a critical hit so i did it the hard way (as gerald calls it "potions, swords"). but then again i made the mistake of having a bazillion savegames from my medium runthrough in the directory and it took 17 minutes to load a savegame. and than i had killed the beast before i figured that technical stuff out ;)

Top Bottom