[ACT I] How do I beat ozzrel?

+
specter oil won't help against simple undead ... so i'd bite the bullet and just re-oil the wticher's sword with necrophage oil.Ozzrel can be stunned if your aard is sufficiently pumped (given the earliness of the plot) ... i've used igni, but i can't recall it doing anything particularly good or bad, but do use your witcher's sword (or better still, use a meteorite sword if you've collected 3 pieces of ore)early in the game i prefer the Aard / coup de grace combo with ghouls ;)

developed igni and inteligence + endurance for high energy + potions tawny owl and maribor forest and you dont have to draw a sword, you'll burn everything to ashes.

But I'm a witcher not a flame thrower... ;)Think I'll throw some talents on endurance and vitality regeneration. Seemed a little strange to be running away in a fight and then having a chicken leg. I mean do you really stop for a picnic in the middle of a battle? Would be very civilised, except that the ghoul wanted to eat me for his picnic.

swallow potion sounds better then chicken leg if you dont mind the taste.ask if you have doubts about game mechanics

oohh, picnic in the crypt ... how atmospheric :) ... but seriously, those ghouls will spoil your picnic if you don't snuff them out quickly ... if you are doing some talent allocation, don't forget vitality regeneration ...and for sure, early on, with the bigger monsters, use your swallow potions

flashintheflesh said:
swallow potion sounds better then chicken leg if you dont mind the taste.ask if you have doubts about game mechanics
Oh i had taken a swallow, blizzard and a cat, so my toxicity was pushing 50% making my eyes go a little funny. Wasn't sure if taking another was worth the toxicity hit compared to food and retreating to have a rest and recover would've been counterproductive having just fought past all the ghouls for a second time. Even on my sole sucessful fight with him I was still badly injured after he got a few lucky swipes in. Wasn't too thrilled to encounter more ghouls on the way out either really, though they weren't very enthusiastic.Wasn't sure what sort of critical finish geralt tried though...didn't seem to match any in that list in another thread. Difficult to see in the dark but he seemed to just make a large slash rather than do anything more notable (ok, so this isn't Mortal Combat or Severance: Blade of Darkness) I'd expected he'd do something more spectacular. Thus far he's only managed the big slash and the impalement of a downed foe.
flashintheflesh said:
oohh, picnic in the crypt ... how atmospheric :)
Well I am an old school goth so it's probably par for the course... :beer:

the coups de grace change (i think) as you get more experience and some are more spectacular than others, so maybe you just lucked out and got one of the tamer moveswhen you need to heal up and you can't take any more potions, i find that just running around is more effective than anything, just standing in a safe spot takes forever for your vitality to get back up, running seems to make it happen faster (maybe that's just my perception ... being distracted by doing something like running around)... or, if you were very thorough in the prologue, and you haven't used it yet, you should have a potion of white honey (likely unidentified at this point) in your inventory ... white honey takes toxicity to zero ... but it also negates your other potion effects ... so cat would go along with your toxicity, but if you have another one ... one cat, plus one swallow is not that toxic :)

gamewidow said:
the coups de grace change (i think) as you get more experience and some are more spectacular than others, so maybe you just lucked out and got one of the tamer moveswhen you need to heal up and you can't take any more potions, i find that just running around is more effective than anything, just standing in a safe spot takes forever for your vitality to get back up, running seems to make it happen faster (maybe that's just my perception ... being distracted by doing something like running around)... or, if you were very thorough in the prologue, and you haven't used it yet, you should have a potion of white honey (likely unidentified at this point) in your inventory ... white honey takes toxicity to zero ... but it also negates your other potion effects ... so cat would go along with your toxicity, but if you have another one ... one cat, plus one swallow is not that toxic :)
I'd like to think I was reasonably thorough, but if it's there then the label has come off the bottle and well, my mummy taught me well: 'Don't drink from bottles when you don't know what's in them'. Advice that has served me well these past thirty odd years.I did have a blizzard as well as the swallow and cat...made me see little red bits in front of my eyes, like a scattering of rose petals fluttering in the wind...or having bloodshot eyes after too much booze.I suppose running about might increase ones' metabolic rate somewhat (I have no idea what that means or if it's true but it sounded good) and so increase the pulse rate and have the swallow potion react quicker. Er, yeah. But anyway jigging around in a fight is probably a good idea, I can just picture Mohamad Ali as a witcher.

One more piece of advice, in addition to the excellent suggestions you've gotten so far: Ozzrel is the very last thing I do before going to the Salmandra hideout and starting the end-of-chapter quest. I want my poor Geralt to have as many skill points as possible and to have collected as many sword buffs and whatnot as he can.Like you, my favorite style is just to stand there and hack at the critters -- straightforward and down the middle, that's me :) -- but for the big battles, it really does work better to run up, hit, run away, repeat. Ozzrel, as you've noticed, can knock you down very easily; his biggest weakness is that he's slooooow. So use your speed advantage against him; hit him, then run away before he can get you.Have fun!

white honey looks like this:and it would have been in a crate in the Evening West hall, western most room on the second floor of Kaer Morhen

gamewidow said:
the coups de grace change (i think) as you get more experience and some are more spectacular than others, so maybe you just lucked out and got one of the tamer moves
Sadly not quite. From my observations:Stunned monster: only 1 finisher (slash)Knocked down foe (any type): 2 finishers (Stab stomach or inverted blade)Stunned human: 5 finishers (slash, jump on shoulders+stab, multiple stabs into upper chest, inverted blade hitting head, slash legs+neck)Stunned dwarf: 5 finishers. Difference from human is that instead of the jumping on shoulder+stab, Geralt slashes after jumping.Might have missed a few of course, but these are the ones I can think of.

I can think of two additional finishers performed on humans: - bloody sword impaling in the abdomen- Geralt thrusting his sword into the ground, then jumping onto a knocked down opponent and stabbing him in the face multiple times with a dagger (from my observations, this works only when you have a dagger in your inventory, and when you click on a stunned opponent while Geralt is several feet away from him)The most frequent one for monsters (knocked down) is Geralt impaling it with his sword, then pulling the sword out. There's also an "inverted blade" variant, where the opponent is killed with the hilt of the sword. Or a quick decapitation if the monster is standing.

Hmm, last night had Geralt deal out a few decapitations, a jump on bloke's shoulders, a sword thrust to the chest and then the blade brought up vertically through the chest and one where he seemed to cut at the guys neck as if decapitating and then have the sword stuck in the neck and elaborately drawn away (no decap). Oh and I'm sure I saw him kill a downed ghoul (having been Aard'd) by using the steel sword to slit its throat (I thought it was the part of the sword nearest the crossguard but that would be the ricasso on a sword like that and therefore be blunt). Perhaps this is the 'Inverted blade' kill? Oh and he did the usual impalement of downed oponents (in this case downed drowned dead). I'm trying to remember how he offed the reverend...think it was just a big slash.

All-a-Mort said:
Oh and I'm sure I saw him kill a downed ghoul (having been Aard'd) by using the steel sword to slit its throat (I thought it was the part of the sword nearest the crossguard but that would be the ricasso on a sword like that and therefore be blunt). Perhaps this is the 'Inverted blade' kill?
Yes, that's the one. Actually there are two types: one for standing opponents, one for knocked-down opponents. The former proceeds in the fashion described by you, the latter when Geralt uses his sword sort of as a two-handed warhammer and hits the spine of the downed opponent with the hilt/crossguard (the blunt and I presume the heaviest part of the sword used for weight balance).

Planewalker said:
Planewalker said:
Oh and I'm sure I saw him kill a downed ghoul (having been Aard'd) by using the steel sword to slit its throat (I thought it was the part of the sword nearest the crossguard but that would be the ricasso on a sword like that and therefore be blunt). Perhaps this is the 'Inverted blade' kill?
Yes, that's the one. Actually there are two types: one for standing opponents, one for knocked-down opponents. The former proceeds in the fashion described by you, the latter when Geralt uses his sword sort of as a two-handed warhammer and hits the spine of the downed opponent with the hilt/crossguard (the blunt and I presume the heaviest part of the sword used for weight balance).
Hmm, sound vaguely like the 'Murder Stroke' from German tradition where the blade is inverted and held and the strike is delivered with crossguard and/or pommel in the manner of a hammer (though when mentioning strikes with the crossguard Fillipo Vadi recommended sharpening them). Wonder whether other Geralt cuts and thrusts etc have a basis in reality?

I don't see how there can be any doubt on what tactics to use on this fight. I mean you pick up the Igni sign in this crypt!! To me it was like the game was saying "You just gained the ability to fry enemies. Try it out on the big baddy down the hall."

Ozzrel did not give me any trouble at all, i was level 7, and i used the following potions, cat, and swallow to get to him, once i ard the wall i took a bottled water and a blizzard, I used strong style completed second combo, ard to create distance, knockdown and allow ard to recharge, rinse and repeat. i will add that this was done on medium skill so if you are playing a different skill level this might not work as well.Asai

Top Bottom