[Act I] Is Abigail bad and guilty?

+
They are all guilty in their own way. It's YOUR personal choice as to who deserves what punishment.Personally, letting Abigail die at the hands of a mob is MORE evil that letting her live. Especially when you believe her later statements of being a changed person.And as for all the dead bodies around the village you notice after slaying the beast:The Reverend went against your suggestions and let the people gather outside. This was a seriously BAD idea with the Beast and its demon doggies around, especially at NIGHT!He knew it, thus their blood is on HIS hands, not Geralt's.

First off, where do you find this revelation about Carmen being raped by Mikul and cast out by her father (Reverend)?Secondly, I think that in the end your reasons behind saving or damning Abigail don't matter as much as which choice you take. for instance, I saved Abigail (twice) because a) i despise the reverend and b) she's hot (her card notwithstanding). You could have entirely different reasons for saving her/letting her die, but in the end The Witcher is about the choices you make, and not the reasons you make them.

We know that the Reverends' daughter got pregnant and cast out by the Rev but I personally never was clear on who the Revs' daughter was--I had even thought Ilsa to be his possibly :-\ But, as I posted earlier in thread, Ilsa wasn't necessarily raped by Mikul. However, he does apologize to Geralt for something later. :hmmm: I thought because he had turned Geralt in to the City Gaurd perhaps. :-\EDIIT: Okay, I must of missed the townspeople talking about Hela (or didn't put the two together Always think of Carment not Hela) and that Mikul was responsible for her being pregnant.

In the early part of the game, you can talk to the local townspeople who say that the Reverend's daughter, Hela, got pregnant to Mikul and fled to the city after her father pitched a fit, where she works as a whore. Carmen's real name is Hela. QED.No rape is implied there, but Mikul had the opportunity to marry Hela and preserve her honour or, at the very least, help her create a life for herself that doesn't involve selling her body to make ends meet. Clearly Mikul doesn't have much in the way of impulse control, nor a well-developed sense of responsibility. After the revelation he raped Ilsa I was looking forward to getting a chance to deliver some vigilante justice, but that wasn't to be :mad:Even though I kinda want the Predator mutation, I feel really bad for Carmen and make a point of curing Meis for her. It's the least someone could do for her.

well, the ones that raped Shani (Mikuls lover) were a bunch of lowlife bandits. You encounter them at the inn when you protect the redhead girl. I dont think Mikul was a rapist, they said it clearly "lets do to her what we did to that girl Shani, what a screamer." As for Abigail, she may have had some part in summoning the beast, but it wasnt her actions alone that did it. I dont think she intentionally said hmm i think ill summon a demon and have it kill everyone. It was a result of the vile and corrupt actions of the people as a whole. So thats my 2 cents in the matter. And yes, im ganna f^^k her til her eyes pop out. =)

yeah never mind. Mikul raped Ilsa, Odo killed his brother. and Haren sold a squirrel to the guards for gold, and the reverend banished his daughter when she got knocked up and now shes a slut in the city. Theyre all bad, im ganna bang abigail and kill them all. buhaha

what i do find funny is that when she says "we're alone, we have some time" 1. The little kid walks right behind me as she says that, so therefore he's right in front of us.2. There's a mob of angry rampaging villagers right outside the cave screaming BURN THE WITCH. I dont know about you but I wouldnt exactly call that "having some time" lol.

there's another point where Alvin is basically /right there/ during a tryst
in act III, if Geralt leaves Alvin with Triss, Alvin is playing just downstairs all day long and Triss says something like "the kid is sleeping, we have time" -- not at ALL true ;) .. poor Alvin, he's probably gonna be scarred by all this voyeurism at such a tender age ;D

Agreed, but have you considered how damaging his brief stay at the Reverend's was?
I turned up at Shani's place drunk and attempted to talk to Alvin. He said I smelt like the Reverend after he had been in the basement. Turns out he wasn't lying - the old coot had red wine in his cellar. What was more shocking was Alvin acting scared and avoided talking to me in this state...just what did the old man do to this poor kid while drunk?
On topic - Now that I have "killed" Abigail for once:
Act IV - I happened to note that the old woman said Geralt had "Innocent blood on his hands".
Unless you're of the type that disbelieves what you hear in the game, it is pretty blatant proof that Abigail is innocent. But this doesn't address the issue at hand - is Abigail "bad". There will never be a straight answer to this, as it is open to too much interpretation. But interpretation is fun, so onward with the opinions :peace:Oh, and that "voodoo doll" is clearly shaped in the form of an Odo model, not of Haren. From what Hollywood has taught us, voodoo dolls are shaped and dressed in the form of the person you wish to curse / give pain to. I'm afraid that the "lights" theory in relation to the doll is not very feasible. More likely the lights are just simple fireflies seeking the water.

i agree it's pretty good evidence that Abi is innocent of that one crime ;D -- after all, she does belong to Coram Agh Ter and they eat babies!

gamewidow said:
i agree it's pretty good evidence that Abi is innocent of that one crime ;D -- after all, she does belong to Coram Agh Ter and they eat babies!
Ugh :eek:! The other other white meat? Hmph.Well, I still prefer saving of her than letting her get burned regardless of this ugly fact. I do however feel better of causing those cultists some ultimate pain in Act II. These Lionhead Cultists are disgusting!

Hmmm, I still haven't managed to find the conversation where the villagers talk about Hela. Is it one of those passing dialogues I just have to be lucky enough to find?

Abigail is no innocent, in fact she admits she's in the cave brewing up a magic offensive, and for years she'd created and sold various poisons with no compunction, and that was probably why they hadn't lynched her sooner.But the rest of village were a load of seriously degenerate scum. The Reverend was the worst, and you only later learn how he fucked up Carmen, and he might've fucked up Alvin (though the kid was already mentally brittle and predisposed to headfuck.) Later in the game, if you speak with Alvin after boozing it up with Dandelion and Zoltan, he suggests that the Reverend had beaten him when he got drunk.If you'd let them live, there's no reason to believe they'd do anything but continue their hypocrisy and barbarism. Abigail, on the other hand, goes on to become a healer in a community of the most pleasant people in the game. Abigail as the lesser of the two evils at least has a shot at redemption, while the rest of them will just become bigger monsters.

I read all 11 pages of this, and several people wondered, along with me, what happens in Act IV if you choose to let the villagers kill Abigail. Is there another healer? What is she like? I could never let the villagers kill her, and I've played the game through three and a half times now. So, I wonder.

You will meet her instead of Abigail. I never met the old witch in Murky Waters because I don't have the heart to leave Abigail to the mob.

Thanks! I was very curious!No, I don't have the heart to give Abigail to the mob. I can't see how anyone could.

MISSTRISS said:
No, I don't have the heart to give Abigail to the mob. I can't see how anyone could.
Most of the moral choices one makes in the game are supposed to be fairly evenly balanced, but I don't think this one is: allow a woman to be burned at the stake -- without even the pretense of a trial -- or threaten the villagers, then go kill the Beast. (One ends up having to kill a lot of villagers, but that isn't clear at the moment of choice.)I like the speech that Geralt gives to the villagers. He may be a man of few words much of the time, but when he has something to say, he can say it well.

I don't like the hypocrisy of the peasants. They blame Abigail for all misfortune and the Beast's appearance but most of them have blotted their copybook. And those who haven't buy (secretly) special potions like aphrodisiacs from her and now shout at her. That's a strong argument for me to side with Abigail though she isn't a saint.

I have only let Abigail die once (out of nine plays), and experienced the alternate turn of events in "Heat of the Day" in Act IV.I immediately went back to saving her like I used to. The old healer says that Geralt has innocent blood on his hands which interferes with him completing the noonwraith quest, and thus I took her word for it; Abigail is not a nice girl, but in the Outskirts mystery, she is innocent.

Top Bottom