[Act I] Is Abigail bad and guilty?

+
pretty new to this game, picked up the EE a littlewh ile back and finally getting cracking on it. digging it so far, but its a bit confusing, not much direction on the various systems like alchemy, weapon forging, ect. anyway wrapping up the first major quest with the witch where i chose to turn her over or protect her. It seems like the townsfolk a re slimy little tools so i want to protect her (you get some action too it seems) but one thing does bug me. the doll of odo in her hut. whats up with that? Did she really make odo kill his brother? if not why the doll? harren is shady as hell, and the reverands an obvious slimeball but this odo t hing has me wondering. Is she really an evil witch? did i miss some explanation of the doll?side question... any t ips for beating the hellhound? i tried siding with the townsfolk once and it was real e asy because they all piled on them. but when i save abigail its very hard because i have to try to get them all off of her and wind up dying. does specter oil work here?

Yep, the doll thing bugged me also. Maybe Abigail knew Odo killed his brother and used the doll for voodoo against him thus his garden problem. Look further down in this forum and you will find "Help with the Beast" (LOL) 48 pages.
There are three secondary substances in ingredients, potions with all Albedo will be less toxic, all Nigerdo is more damage, and all Rubedo is more vitality,mix them and you just get a regular potion./spoiler]

You can find many opinions about Abigail in here http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=6967.0 cause this thread already exists ;)

Hey there!First thing I've got a question... How do you guys know, that Abigail was part of the Lion-headed Spider Cult?I'm aware, that when she's on the stake she curses you in its name, but to me it seems if the Lion-headed Spider is some kind of arch-demon.Seeing she's a witch she might just utter her dying curse... Would be like wishing someone to get taken by the devil.Is there some information later on?And the reason for the voodoo doll might be different than Odo claimed... He tells you that Abigail wanted his brother and he wanted nothing to do with her. Therefore the curse...What if that's not true and Odo killed his brother, to keep that from happening? The the Voodoo doll would just be some kind of revenge...Fact is that she knew about the events by divination or by villagers coming to her for help, but she didn't do anything to improve the situation. She held just as much contempt for the villagers like they did for her.Anyway, in the end I decided to help Abigail, because it seemed to end without major bloodshed. Abigail would have left, and the villagers could start over....Tough luck :-\

That does make sense, Canisll.However, I believe that some Modders found evidence that when you let Abigail get killed, that instead of Abigail appearing in the Frozen Planes, some sort of Spider mosnter is supposed to attack you.If I remember correctly :teeth:

canisll said:
Hey there!First thing I've got a question... How do you guys know, that Abigail was part of the Lion-headed Spider Cult?I'm aware, that when she's on the stake she curses you in its name, but to me it seems if the Lion-headed Spider is some kind of arch-demon.Seeing she's a witch she might just utter her dying curse... Would be like wishing someone to get taken by the devil.Is there some information later on?And the reason for the voodoo doll might be different than Odo claimed... He tells you that Abigail wanted his brother and he wanted nothing to do with her. Therefore the curse...What if that's not true and Odo killed his brother, to keep that from happening? The the Voodoo doll would just be some kind of revenge...Fact is that she knew about the events by divination or by villagers coming to her for help, but she didn't do anything to improve the situation. She held just as much contempt for the villagers like they did for her.Anyway, in the end I decided to help Abigail, because it seemed to end without major bloodshed. Abigail would have left, and the villagers could start over....Tough luck :-\
Some very nice points. What if Odo's brother loved Abigail back, and Odo was afraid he would be left without riches if his bro marrys her.

didn't know there was a whole thread on this, lol. Ah well, even if she is bad the townspeople were worse thats my view. Plus she gave you some tail. her card was kinda primal and odd looking though, all naked and smeared in blood.

In Act I if I choose to let the villagers lynch Abigail, the herbalist in Act IV berates me for killing an innocent. On the other hand, while it's true the villagers wrongly blamed her for their crimes that summoned the Beast, there are a few clues in the Act that suggest their accusations may not be entirely false.1)There is a voodoo doll that looks suspiciously like Odo in Abigail's hut. While Odo did want to kill his brother for his wealth(he apparently asked the Salamandra for advice), he didn't have the nerve to do it himself. Could Abigail have 'helped' him in the same way she helped Ilsa commit suicide by selling her poison?2)Though it was the villagers that summoned the Beast with their crimes, I strongly suspect Abigail had something to do with its appearance. If you ask Odo about strange happenings in the village he recalls seeing the Beast inside her window one night. Later, Alvin's 'trance' reveals that the Beast may originally have been Abigail's pet dog, which was tortured to death by villagers. These two occurrences mesh and point to Abigail having made some sort of pact with the Beast.Can anyone else shed some light on this matter?

I would go for what is said in the journal entry about the beast. Wiki also provides similar info and then there's the tales.Beast is summoned by evil. I think the evil of many outweighs the evil of few. So: Abigail 1 vs. Villages Many.Then again... the explanations of the villagers all sounds like babbling conspiracy. Only Odo's one may be partly good, the rest are total rubbish.All points you mentioned are accurate and I think you have a better grip on it than I had long ago when I started. :peace:

godkingofdivineroad said:
If you ask Odo about strange happenings in the village he recalls seeing the Beast inside her window one night.
I'm pretty sure that was outside her window. And Geralt sees The Beast outside of Odo's house and behind Harren's house, so it's not as if The Beast only appears near Abigail's place. Plus, the barghests tend to spawn next to Eternal Fire shrines, which suggests a tie-in there.Have you talked to Olaf -- paid him five orens to talk to you? He talks about how he and the rest of the villagers had to "cleanse" their houses of "filth" in order to combat the plague. Later on in that conversation, he lets drop that the "filth" are "kin." In other words, the entire village has thrown out (or murdered?) members of their own families, members who the Reverend decided were "filth." This same Reverend sends Alvin to Salamandra, after kidnapping Alvin from Abigail.Hmm. The barghests haunt the Eternal Fire shrines, we know that some sort of major wrong was done to a number of villagers at the Reverend's urging, and the Reverend abuses Alvin, then sells him to the Salamandra. I think I can make at least as strong a case for The Beast's being the Reverend's product as you can for making it Abigail's. I figure the "innocent blood" thing in Act IV is definitive, though.
Later, Alvin's 'trance' reveals that the Beast may originally have been Abigail's pet dog, which was tortured to death by villagers. These two occurrences mesh and point to Abigail having made some sort of pact with the Beast.
The way I read it, torturing Abigail's puppy was just one more of the many evil actions the led to the rise of The Beast. There doesn't have to be an actual, physical dog for The Beast to be created.

Corylea said:
The way I read it, torturing Abigail's puppy was just one more of the many evil actions the led to the rise of The Beast. There doesn't have to be an actual, physical dog for The Beast to be created.
There's a line there about the Beast already having died once. I don't remember the words, but it strongly implied a link between the dead dog and the Beast.Also, what was the point of the 'Alzur's demon' riddle with Abigail? Supposedly the Beast would be easier to defeat if you answered it correctly, but in the end it had no bearing on the battle at all.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
If you ask Odo about strange happenings in the village he recalls seeing the Beast inside her window one night.
I'm pretty sure that was outside her window. And Geralt sees The Beast outside of Odo's house and behind Harren's house, so it's not as if The Beast only appears near Abigail's place. Plus, the barghests tend to spawn next to Eternal Fire shrines, which suggests a tie-in there.Have you talked to the Olaf -- paid him five orens to talk to you? He talks about how he and the rest of the villagers had to "cleanse" their houses of "filth" in order to combat the plague. Later on in that conversation, he lets drop that the "filth" are "kin." In other words, the entire village has either thrown out or murdered members of their own families, members who the Reverend decided were "filth." This same Reverend sends Alvin to Salamandra, after kidnapping Alvin from Abigail.Hmm. The barghests haunt the Eternal Fire shrines, we know that some sort of major wrong was done to a number of villagers at the Reverend's urging, and the Reverend abuses Alvin, then sells him to the Salamandra. I think I can make at least as strong a case for The Beast's being the Reverend's product as you can for making it Abigail's. I figure the "innocent blood" thing in Act IV is definitive, though.
Grr.. the Reverend must be the most evil character in the whole story. Really, he deserves more than the quick death he got in my game.

Dezired said:
Grr.. the Reverend must be the most evil character in the whole story. Really, he deserves more than the quick death he got in my game.
I quite agree!
Dezired said:
Dezired said:
There's a line there about the Beast already having died once. I don't remember the words, but it strongly implied a link between the dead dog and the Beast.
I opened that conversation in Djinni, so I could transcribe it exactly. Here's what Alvin says:Abigail... I'm afraid. Why'd they skin the puppy? Why'd they hurt him? He was gentle, he hurt no one. And the girl from outside the village, she screamed, horribly, unlike any human.Bad children, torturing the witch's puppy again?Groarrr!!! Grrrr!!!Innocent blood... evil faces twisted by drink and desire. "Plow her well. Show her you're a man"... blood-stained gold ... the Beast is born! GROAARRORROAAARR!!!"Death, the final judgment. The Beast has met its end once. It doesn't fear death. It is death.How will you defeat human villainy? With your sword? You, who died and still walk amongst the living? Who has summoned me?That's the point at which Geralt tells Abigail to stop the trance, almost as if he's afraid that it is he who has summoned The Beast.The entry in the bestiary says this:HellhoundOccurrence might appear wherever dishonorable people live.Immunity: immune to most effects; it is a corporal creature, so knockdown or stun attempts are possible, yet rarely successful.Susceptibility: sensitive to steel; the Fast Style is most effective against hellhounds.Tactics: able to summon barghests; a hellhound traps its victims in a circle of fire and proceeds to tear them to pieces.Alchemy: iridescent mark. The hellhound, referred to also as the Beast, is a creature of the underworld, a specter that assumes the form of a terrifying hound and tirelessly stalks its victims once it finds their trail. Peasants believe that the hellhound embodies the vengeance of the gods, who send the Beast to punish humans for their wickedness.None of this says to me that The Beast originated in Abigail's dog, but we can agree to disagree about that.
Also, what was the point of the 'Alzur's demon' riddle with Abigail? Supposedly the Beast would be easier to defeat if you answered it correctly, but in the end it had no bearing on the battle at all.
There are a number of things in the game that look as if they're remnants of aspects of quests that were never implemented; a few even seem to be remnants of entire quests that were never implemented. My guess is that they were going to have a question but either decided against it or didn't have time to implement it. I thought the cutscene where The Beast steps slowly out of the fire was very effective; it would probably be less chilling to have it talk.

Corylea said:
Death, the final judgment. The Beast has met its end once. It doesn't fear death. It is death.
That's the part I was referring to. How couldd it have met it's end before? Or was it the puppy that did so?And I personally believe the confrontation would have been more chilling if the Beast would have spoken to Geralt. It would show that it was much more than some mindless monster.

Death, the final judgment. The Beast has met its end once. It doesn't fear death. It is death.
That's the part I was referring to. How couldd it have met it's end before? Or was it the puppy that did so?And I personally believe the confrontation would have been more chilling if the Beast would have spoken to Geralt. It would show that it was much more than some mindless monster.
I do believe the reference is the puppy. But, I strongly believe that the Beast is an entity of wrapped rage in a sack covered with the appearance of the Puppy. I bet if the Witch had a Monkey as a pet instead of a dog, the Beast would have been in the form of a Giant Ape, don't you think? The puppy is just the external appearance, the inner one is the mixture of evil deeds that brought it about. The death reference above, I think does refer to the death of the puppy. The rest is highly opinionated, though. :peace:

Top Bottom