[ACT I] the beast help

+

Guest 2091327

That may be an issue on some computers.I think the main problem is that its so early in the game that we are weak as piss and can't really defend ourselves. So when they stun us we lose half the healthbar or something. Heck, half can be gone before we get our flippin' sword out. It's simply badly balanced. They could have removed all the mini-beasts and it would be much more manageable. But with those there too, often 4-5 a piece, it's so easy to get eaten alive. Aard won't connect every time, but the best chance is to try to charge it up a little and hit the beast ASAP. Hopefully getting in a finishing move. This can be attempted a few times, and hopefully one will 'connect' before health runs out.Another thing that makes it worse is that unless you get the timing right, whatever oils and potions you prepare before leaving the cave will be gone when the actual fight starts. I forget when we should leave the cave for them to still work, but this is another factor that makes it more difficult. I tried to save the game every darn time I had to attempt that fight, and have not succeeded yet. Maybe it's possible, but there must be a very small window of opportunity.

slimgrin said:
Yeah I know. I finally killed him using the correct oils and potions, but my Aard wasn't having any effect so it was a tough fight. I think part of the issue is animations slow down and get really choppy in that scene because of all the fire being rendered.
To be perfectly honest, I know many people who have given up on TW1 because of the Beast fight. But I was lucky in my very first playthrough. I had increased my sign intensity in the place of power before the fight, and my aard landed beautifully. Of course, I was playing in the easy level back then. The fight was quite easy. Next time onwards, I already knew formulae of potions and oils that'll help me in that fight. As a result, I never had much trouble.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: I always play on hard difficulty setting now. :pLike Pangea said, the cutscenes are poorly timed, requiring the player to prepare for the fight in the cave. I also did not level Aard correctly so I couldn't charge it up. Only in one of my playthroughs was I able to catch the beast with an Aard and finish him off. Dagon...now there was a fight. Just set down a couple Dragon's dream bombs, let him get out of the water, and Ignii. BOOOM! He and all his minions were dead instantly. Most satisfying.

@slimgrinDude...that's just...wrong. That poor Dagon guy is probably the lamest boss in the game. And you don't even give him a chance to come out of the water. It's just not fair.But seriously, doesn't new priests spawn only when the old set dies? How did one explosion kill dagon? *raised eyebrows*

Vilgefortze said:
@slimgrinDude...that's just...wrong. That poor Dagon guy is probably the lamest boss in the game. And you don't even give him a chance to come out of the water. It's just not fair.But seriously, doesn't new priests spawn only when the old set dies? How did one explosion kill dagon? *raised eyebrows*
I'm telling you I did it. No lie. They all died at once. I had alloted many points to Ignii, so that ability was powered way up. When he was out of the water and ready to fight, I let loose with a blast and next thing I know he's dead, and Geralt is the only one standing.Boss fights need to be improved for TW2, no question.

Bombs are pretty ridiculous. IIRC Max Strauss had posted some videos on Youtube to show how broken was the bombs. He used them in Kikimore Queen and Zeugl fights, again IIRC.

Pangaea said:
I tried to save the game every darn time I had to attempt that fight, and have not succeeded yet. Maybe it's possible, but there must be a very small window of opportunity.
Yes it`s a small window but when you hear the beast howl then when the screen just starts to lighten up hit the pause and save there

slimgrin said:
I'm telling you I did it. No lie.
I didn't mean it that way. Sorry for that.Maybe they all remain at the water's edge and come ashore a few at a time. Or maybe because I killed them with my sword, I only saw few at a time. I'll have to try that out. Actually...I won't. It'll destroy whatever little charm the Dagon fight has.

Advice for getting past the Beast has gotten swallowed up by commentary, so I'll consolidate some of it into this post.1. Time will be advanced to midnight when you face the Beast. If it's already within two hours of midnight, go ahead and do any prep you want to do. If it's earlier in the day, though, meditate at Abigail's fire -- in that last cave before you exit the cave system and face the Beast -- until 10 p.m.2. Take a Tawny Owl, to improve your Endurance so that you can cast a lot of signs, and a Swallow, to improve your healing. Put Specter Oil on your blade, if you bought it from Abigail. If not, use a whetstone or grindstone on your blade.3. When you face the Beast, try to Aard it. If you've put a few points into Aard, you can stun the Beast and kill it with a single finishing move. One Aard, one blow, dead. If you haven't put many points into Aard, though, you can still win the fight.4. If you kill the barghests, the Beast just summons more of them, but when you kill the Beast, the barghests extinguish like a blown-out candle. So concentrate all of your efforts on the Beast.5. You're faster than anything else in the game. You can run whenever your hitpoints get low, and the Beast can't catch you. 6. There's a hiding place where the Beast and the barghests can't get at you. You can go in there to take a potion, eat food (food heals you, and the bonus stacks with Swallow), or just give your Swallow a chance to heal you.7. If you sided with Abigail during the confrontation with the villagers, she'll heal you from time to time. But don't worry that the barghests will kill her. She'll lie down for a bit if they hurt her too much, but she'll get back up again when the fight is over. Keeping her upright and healing you can be helpful, but you don't need to worry that she'll die, because she won't.8. There's a Place of Power that will intensify your signs. If you do the Ritual there right before entering the Salamandra hideout, and if you don't enter the hideout until sometime between 8 p.m. and midnight, the bonus to your signs should still be active when you fight the Beast.Here's a picture of the hiding place. (Click on the picture to get it at a more useful size.)
And here's Geralt in the hiding place.

I forgot how often i tried but in the end i did kill the beast, not easy for sure. Some of the posts in this tread helped for sure. Thanks for that :)

Melari said:
I forgot how often i tried but in the end i did kill the beast, not easy for sure. Some of the posts in this tread helped for sure. Thanks for that :)
You're welcome! Glad you managed to kill the Beast eventually.

Top Bottom