[ACT I] Where can I get Cat?

+
[ACT I] Where can I get Cat?

I'm new to the game. Very new. So new, in fact, I've never played an RPG game besides Neverwinter Nights and Elderscroll series. (Excluding shooting rpg games) So I'm pretty confused on a few things. First, I can never seem to find a good general store, I think I'm still in the beginning (with the Ghost dogs). Second, I have no idea where to find Cat Eye potions or torches

here is some infohttp://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/CatTorches can be found in houses or barrelsyou can sell some stuff to people in the tavern or the blacksmith

Have you considered making your own cat? (if you don't know how just let us know).I usually use torches (to avoid the toxicity) but if you are in a difficult cave I recommend the Cat, so you don't have to draw your sword every time.Also, wait for Chapter 2. Remember, your in a small village in the outskirts of some city. I wouldn't expect to find a real market.

The Witcher is different from many RPG's in that you don't buy potions, you make potions. So you won't find a Cat for sale, but you can make it yourself. You need a source of strong alcohol (e.g. vodka, rye, and their ilk) and some herbs or monster parts with the right substances in them.Check here for more information: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Alchemy_at_a_Glance

As for the question whether to use a torch or Cat, in theory a torch is better, because when you use Cat, there are smudge lines just outside of your "illuminated" area, which make it hard to see monsters until they're right in your face. Rargh! In practise, though, although this is a little bit like cheating, even if you can't see the creature, if your mouse cursor touches it's image, it will outline in red and you can see it very well. Also, if you want to be true to the Witcher's of the books, you want to use fire as little as possible. I quote: "Never fight by firelight, if you can avoid it. It can blind you momentartily and leave you vulnerable to attack. When possible, fight be moonlight". Or something along those lines.

Also, from a tactical standpoint, using a torch would let enemies see you coming WAY before you could see them. Cat would negate this as well. Though I doubt this is figured into the game mechanics...

GeralttheWhiteWolf said:
As for the question whether to use a torch or Cat, in theory a torch is better, because when you use Cat, there are smudge lines just outside of your "illuminated" area, which make it hard to see monsters until they're right in your face. Rargh! In practise, though, although this is a little bit like cheating, even if you can't see the creature, if your mouse cursor touches it's image, it will outline in red and you can see it very well. Also, if you want to be true to the Witcher's of the books, you want to use fire as little as possible. I quote: "Never fight by firelight, if you can avoid it. It can blind you momentartily and leave you vulnerable to attack. When possible, fight be moonlight". Or something along those lines.
With high graphics settings, I haven't encountered this; the vision is about as good as in daylight (although when out of caverns, I sometimes encounter glitches where the camera goes inside buildings). Then again, I have brightened up my monitor by quite a bit too. I like to use Albedo Cat as the first potion I drink since it lasts long; that reduces its toxicity to 0 and all the other longtime potions I drink by quite a bit too (of course, Albedo Cats aren't trivial to make as Cat requires Rebis and Albedo Rebis is only available in Wing Membrane).

Personally, I hate torches. I always use tha cat potion. I also keep at least two of them in my inventory. As a matter of fact the alchemy part is one of the most fun sides of the game. I always spend some time checking ingredients and keep my potion stock as full as possible.In chapter I you'll have some difficulty to get ingredients with quebrith, but you can buy such ingredients from Abgail or from the Herbalist outside the inn and they're not that expensive. Picking the herbalist talent as soon as possible can make alchemy easier too. I also like making oils, blade quotes are important to compensate your fighting skills, specially if you go for the alchemist style of play.My basic potion list for Chapter I is:Cat (As I said, I hate torches)Swallow on the quick slot (Good for emergencies, I always keep at least five of them).Some nice blade oils (Specter oil for the barghests and specially for the Beast, Necrophager oil for the Gouls in the Cript and Crynfid Oil for the Salamandra and other normal thugs).Blizzard (for tough enemies such as the Echnopsae).Tawny Oil.Don't forget to check your ingredient list, I always sell the most expensive one for extra cash, specially Gnatz Acid (15 orens each) and White Vinager.

Quebrith can be got from certain trees, balissa, I believe. Kinovar is vary difficult to get- the only place is Abigail's, for 60 orens.

GeralttheWhiteWolf said:
Quebrith can be got from certain trees, balissa, I believe. Kinovar is vary difficult to get- the only place is Abigail's, for 60 orens.
Yeah, balisse (or balissa I don't remember the spelling) gives you quebrith. Herbs are the most cheap and easy way to get ingredients.

Top Bottom