[ACT II] Warning, everyone: Don't drink with Thaler.

+
[ACT II] Warning, everyone: Don't drink with Thaler.

At first I thought he was just being a really inhospitable jerk after I was kind enough to share my [not so] precious vodka with him, since once he's through getting drunk with you he drags your spent body back out onto the street, where you eventually wake up . . . but then I happened to check my pockets, and found that nearly half my money was gone.What a guy.This is the sort of character I wish the game would allow me to kill just out of spite, or out of principle -- ridding the world of another good-for-nobody jerk....But then again, Geralt himself seems to have a habit of walking into people's houses and robbing them, in plain sight, of whatever happens to be loose in their cabinets, dressers, bureaus, baskets, barrels, wine racks etc. . . . so I guess Geralt isn't exactly the one to be passing judgment....Or, wait . . . maybe that's not Geralt's unethical habit, but rather my own....Sigh... self-assessment. It hurts.

1. It's not a Thaler's fault, that you lost drinking mini game. He didn't rob you, loosing money is a "punishment" for loosing in drinking. Check game manual for more details2. Don't drink vodka with him (and with anybody), drink beer (9 glasses should be enough to win).

Mikel said:
loosing money is a "punishment" for loosing in drinking.
In other words, he robbed me. :)Or if not: then some passerby while I was lying unconscious out on the street.Besides: I wouldn't consider losing over 1000 coins to be a fair loss for a drinking game. No, that's called getting robbed while you're unconscious.(And, no, the manual doesn't say otherwise.)I'll admit though, having gotten myself to 'lose' to others, that they'll rob you, too, if you lose. So, true: it's not just Thaler. It's anyone you lose to.As for the vodka, I have to say: it doesn't always matter, sometimes vodka will just get you both drunk more quickly, although in Thaler's case: if you choose beer you'll win, if you choose vodka you'll lose. Odd, but at least there's some strategy to the matter, which is a good thing.Thaler's a tougher drinker than the drunkards at the inn, but... of course, the drunkards are half-drunk already, while Thaler has the luxury of starting out sober.

(And, no, the manual doesn't say otherwise.)
Maybe they didn't write it in other languages versions, but in polish manual there is a statement:Warning! If Geralt loose in drinking, he'll wake up on the street with partially cleared inventory.My methods of drinking:Drunkard in the Outskirts - beer,Thaler - beer,Leuvaarden's messenger - wine,Dandelion - wine,Knight Erkyn - wine. It's better to save vodka for alchemy.

When you get robbed after you lost a drinking contest the missing didn't necessariyl went into the winner's pocket. When the winner kicks Geralt out of his place Geralt may get robbed by beggars, rascals as well, especially in slum areas.I hope you will win against Thaler asap cos you can get a special reward from which looks quite useless at first sight ;-)

PetraSilie said:
I hope you will win against Thaler asap cos you can get a special reward from which looks quite useless at first sight ;-)
I did. :) . . . I brought beer along this time (like Mik@'el said: you go through 9 glasses) and of course won . . . thus some sort of scroll I think (don't remember which but it gave me some info . . . I'm sure I can go back to an early save and find out, but I won't bother) . . . then: another two hours wandering around drunk :roll: , or two hours meditating to get sober.
When you get robbed after you lost a drinking contest the missing didn't necessariyl went into the winner's pocket. When the winner kicks Geralt out of his place Geralt may get robbed by beggars, rascals as well, especially in slum areas.
Yeah . . . like I said: or passersby. This actually seems more likely to me: some passerby sees somebody comatose on the street, and decides to rob him.Two things I wonder about, though: 1. One would think they'd take all your money, not just some of it, and2. One would think Thaler would have a little more class than to simply throw Geralt out on the street. I mean: sure he's a bit of a jerk, but without spoiling anything for anyone who hasn't gotten most of the way through Act 2, he's more than a little bit more than just a jerk.

When one is at that point in the game nobody knows about this true identity. One just thinks he is the local fence and (that just fits him) a suspect in Vizima Confidential x_O

Make sure you're a heavyweight drinker early on in the game. You can gain valuable info by drinking with different characters throughtout the game, if you can hold your liquor.

I have never lost a drinking session in any of my games so don’t understand how anyone can do this.

did you get wives tears ? it's the easiest potion, you can mix it even if you have not heard about it yet or get it in Act3 from the Waitress in the Narakort. Then you win every time. you can interrupt the drinking contests and continue after drinking a wive's tear, it will not reset the state of the NPC and you can just carry on drinking them under the table. worked everytime.

Evnissyen said:
Hey! But that's cheating! :)
It is. It's definitely cheating. On the other hand, Geralt isn't drinking with these guys just to have fun. He's on a mission to recover the stolen witchers' secrets, secrets that have the potential to be used for great evil. Cheating in a drinking contest that was just for fun would definitely be wrong. Cheating in a drinking contest that's to get information that's necessary to save the world? I'm okay with that. :)

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
It is. It's definitely cheating. On the other hand, Geralt isn't drinking with these guys just to have fun. He's on a mission to recover the stolen witchers' secrets, secrets that have the potential to be used for great evil. Cheating in a drinking contest that was just for fun would definitely be wrong. Cheating in a drinking contest that's to get information that's necessary to save the world? I'm okay with that. :)
And its Thaler where talking about LOL a guy like that I would half expect it.That why I was ok with it as well LOL

Seeker said:
Seeker said:
Seeker said:
And its Thaler where talking about LOL a guy like that I would half expect it.That why I was ok with it as well LOL
It's all relative. It's not really cheating if you think it ought to be allowed, or if it seems that the developers purposefully provided ethically questionable opportunity/tactic/action X for purpose Y, or if the narrative or the character of the person you're dealing with seems to justify it. :)Which, I suppose, means that cheating is more acceptable in narrative-based games than, say, hack&slash or FPS's.

i've always, regardless of who i was drinking with, started off with a thing or two of wine, and then nothing but weak beer until victory. in the english manual, there is a little info about the consequences of losing in the drinking game.

Top Bottom