[ACT III] All the King's Men help(Radovid's hideout key)

+
certainly before EE, i was able to enter Radovid's hideout prior to "the talk" ... but (and this is only my first EE run ... more are planned ;) ) i can't enter this time.this could be a change that has occurred since the EE patch, but it was definitely possible before ... but it is also possible that that was not the case in every conceivable scenario ... :peace:

Let's see if I can remember this...
1. talk to Leuvaarden2. talk to Triss3. ran around doing other side quests- might not be necessary4. found guard with secret password5, enter blocked area-Salamandra base6. pick up stone7. talk to Radovid in mirror8. try to leave through the old mill (forge?)9. scene with Vincent10 show stone to Leuvaarden11 show stone to Triss12 Triss marks map13 I go to where she has marked14 Go around back side of building, in front of salt (?) pile15 enter door16 talk to Radovid in personPhases:A Letter of Safe ConductThe Officer (the insulting one who demands your pass, at night)A forgery (conversation with Thaler)A Conversation ContinuesThe King's SignatureRadivod's ProjectionTriss HelpsThe Communication StoneRadovid of Redania*one other that gets completed automatically when you finish the chapter if you find what you're supposed to find*

Yep, this is it all right. Except for me the door doesn't open.I'd be happy to have missed something. :p But I really think this is a bug.

Jeffrolicious said:
Yeah, this happened to me with a fresh install of a store-bought EE.
I uninstalled the game and installed the store-bought EE... with the only difference that I used an old save game when I started the 3rd chapter. I finished all secondary quests and had 'Lock and Key' and 'All the King's Men' left (and The Beauty and the Beast). When I went to the marked house, used the backside entrance and the door wasn't locked.Is this due to the old save game though it's played with a completely new game version? :whatthe:

Some people didn't have this problem at all even while playing with the EE since the start (Treanna for example). There must be something that locks (or unlocks) this door.

I completed it in the Enhanced Edition, clean install, no previous saves. As proof:
gamewidow said:
One user reported that you get 500 XP for the chat, but basically that's all it is ...one chat
That was me! :)I could also enter the (empty) house before seeing Radovid, as I remember thinking "This becomes Radovid's hideout" when I went there accidently trying to find the Gambling Den. I can't recall if it had a name at that point.

Hi all ... OK, i've finally passed this part in my EE run and i once again encountered no problems at all.Radovid's hideout door was locked until i completed the "Lock and Key" quest and did the report and wrap up with Triss and Leuvaarden. Talking to them after the werewolf encounter is important as the hideout was still locked immediately upon finishing that part of the quest. It only "opened up" after speaking with Triss and Leuvaarden about the telecommunicatorcheers!

Thanks for your time. It's now sure that there's a bug. But what triggered it ? Beats me...

Segmentor just went through this part of the game on the EE, and myself a couple of weeks before that. He encountered the perma-locked door, whereas I did not. Normally we play independently of each other, but in this case I went through his quest log and quizzed him about his progress. As far as I can see (and I did watch him play a fair bit of the end of this chapter) he didn't do anything all that differently to me (same quests completed with the same outcomes, just occasionally finished in a different order - but these were side quests, not the major narrative ones, so I can't see how that might make the difference although I'm not ruling out the possibility). So I have no idea what triggers this door to get unlocked; or rather, I'm not sure what stops this door from being unlocked.I can definitely confirm he made all the right moves, spoke to the right people including Triss and Declan after wolfie, and we did have the right door. It was just perma-locked :) I must confess we didn't do all that much testing - we reloaded saves and replayed from a bit earlier in the chapter but that was about it. By that time, without my saying anything, I think segmentor could sense the end of the chapter coming and he was itching to get into the boss battle :D He actually likes the Kikimore Queen encounter, so he made the decision to forfeit the Radovid encounter and I just filled him in on the story. It's an odd one, this one :)

for what it's worth, here is a list of all the quests i've got in my journal at that point, by status (I had no problems at all, the door was unlocked):Act III unfinished quests:All the King's Men (completed Triss Helps phase)Beauty and the Beast (completed Vincent the Werewolf phase)Identity (completed Monsters phase)The Unforgiven (completed Allies phase)White Fang (not started)Ongoing questsA Game of Dice (on to sharpers now)Berengar's SecretDice Poker: The Sharper (won against Koster, my first sharper)Fistfight (won against Andrew Gablodda)WantedWitchers' SecretsWon't Hurt a BitAct III successfully completed quests:A Posh ReceptionBlue EyesDandelion's LuteDiplomacy and HuntingEchoes of YesterdayFollowing the ThreadGold RushLock and KeyMedic in DistressReaping TimeSix Feet UnderThe Archespore ContractThe C*ckatrice ContractThe Fleder ContractThe Ghoul Contract (2)The Graveir ContractThe Kikimore ContractThe Predatory WyvernThe RingThe SourceThe Viziman ConnectionThe Wyvern Contractsuccessfully completed quests from previous chapters:A Ghost StoryA Gravedigger's GratitudeA Long Way from HomeA Lost LambA Most Uncommon WineA Mysterious TowerA PilgrimageA Potion for TrissA Restless GhostAnatomy of a CrimeBloodthirsty VegetationBuried MemoriesClay PitsDead Hand of the PastDefending Kaer MorhenDice Poker: The NoviceDice Poker: The ProfessionalFinders KeepersFlowers and GoldForce ReconHot PotatoKing of the CryptMemory of a BladeMonolithsOf Monsters and MenOld Friend of MinePrison BreakRacistsSafe HavenShe's No Early BirdStrangers in the NightSuspect: KalksteinSuspect: LeuvaardenSuspect: RamsmeatSuspect: ThalerSuspect: Vincent MeisSuspect: VivaldiThe Alghoul ContractThe Barghest ContractThe Beast of the SewersThe CannibalThe Crown WitnessThe Dogcatcher of VizimaThe Drowned Dead ContractThe Drowner ContractThe Echinops ContractThe Ghoul Contract (1)The Monster of the LakeThe RatThe Salamander's TailThe Secret GardenThe SentryThe Wolf ContractVizima ConfidentialWhat Lies BeneathWorking GirlsWorth Its Weight in Gold

I consulted QA on this.You are probably trying to reach the hideout place too early. The time to visit should be at the end of the act after most quests are completed.If you are still experiencing problem please feel free to contact me for further investigation.

Thanks all for trying to help.I've done absolutely all the secondary quests (exept the dentist quest and those that cannot be finished in chapter 3). And I'm at the end of the main quest. Now I just have to tell Triss that I'm ready and go to the inn for the chapter final.I tried to tell Triss that I was ready. Door still didn't unlock. I went to the inn
and fought against the Salamandras. But after that I'm teleported
and I doubt I'll still be able to go back in town before the chapter end so I stopped.I tried erasing the game and reinstalling it (without the EE). No change. I tried a slightly earlier save (before telling Triss about the stone). Still no change. So now I've reinstalled the EE.

well you can check the quest descriptions on the wiki and compare the phases and see if there are any missing in your journal. I've played this game at least 30 times and nothing remotely similar has ever happened to me. I have a good, but not spectacular system and i run XPi'm at a loss to explain what's going on with your game ???

I never figured it out either. I had every quest/subquest completed up to that point. Triss pointed out the place on my map and it was locked. The only thing left for me to do was go to the inn and finish the chapter.

Never a problem here. A gaming laptop rig (Asus G2SG series), Vista (not SP1). Standalone system with no 'net access (and thus no 3rd party firewalls / antiviruses).Played this quest in versions 1.0, 1.3 and retail 1.4 without any problems.Prior to 1.4, Radavid's Hideout is NEVER locked. Radavid simply appears when the quest progresses to the appropriate stage.Looking at the number of posters who have a permanently locked door in EE, the reason seems simple:When adding a locked door feature in the game, the devs have left a (yet unidentified) bug which results in the unlock "trigger" to sometimes get missed. The question is, when is the bug fouling the game? Has anyone gone right back to an Act II save to see if the bug repeats itself again in a new Act III? Has anyone reloaded a save before talking to Radavid in the mirror and caused the door to unlock on cue? Details PLS those who have attempted to locate the source of the problem. The more checking us gamers do, the more data the devs have to diagnose the problem, and develop a fix.I am almost back to this point of the quest now, with my second time around in 1.4. I'll let you all know how it turns out if you want.

I tried again with a save game just after speaking to Radovid in the mirror. So I did the part with the werewolf again (I let him live but didn't do all the subquest to heal him this time) and went to Triss and Leuvaarden. Triss told me the source of the transmision was in a house in town that's now marked on my map. But the door is still closed.The error must be earlier in the game.

I have had the same problem. After reading thru all of the posts here, I couldn't really see a pattern so I did some investigating.I was running 1.3 and was into Act IV when I upgraded to 1.4 with the EE download. I finished the game using 1.4 and started a new game with the EE version. I was mainly just interested in seeing what the differences were so I followed pretty much the same path as before except I chose to hook up with Shani instead of Triss. That was the only main sequence change and I pretty much finished all of the side quests along the way. When I got to the point where I needed to enter Radovid's Hideout, the door was locked. Bummer...After researching the problem a bit I decided to see if rolling back to version 1.3 would help. So, I restored version 1.3 by swapping game folders from a backup drive, not by reinstalling, and ran thru the sequence again. I loaded several version 1.4 saves, both before and after acquiring the seeing stone. In all cases, the door was locked even though I was running version 1.3. Even after getting the location from Triss, the door was locked.Next, I loaded similar saves from my first game. Although I finished the first game with version 1.4, I am positive that these saves were made in Act III using 1.3. After loading a save that was made right before acquiring the seeing stone, I could enter Radovid's Hideout, no problem. The house was labeled as Radovid's Hideout going in but Radovid was not there. After acquiring the seeing stone but before talking to Triss to get the location of the house, I could enter the house, Radovid was there and I spoke to him. I got all of the dialog that I would have gotten if I had talked to Triss first EXCEPT for the one option concerning Adda, for some reason. Also, I did not get credit for completing the quest even though I had spoken to him. I then went to Triss' house and got the "Triss Helps" step, went back to the hideout, spoke to Radovid again and got all of the dialog options this time and got credit for advancing the quest. Bottom line, nothing I could do under 1.3 with a save from 1.3 would cause the door to be locked any time during the sequence of events.Finally, I decided to take the direct route. I restored version 1.4 and started fresh. This time I used a trainer to max Geralt's skills and stats from the start to cut down on the time investment and I stuck to the primary quests alone with only a couple of exceptions. This time the hideout door was always locked right up until I acquired the seeing stone but, after I had it, the game played much like it did under version 1.3. After getting the stone but before talking to Triss, the door was not locked. Like with the 1.3 sequence, I could enter and speak to Radovid but, unlike the 1.3 result, I DID get the Adda dialog option AND I got credit for advancing the quest. Consequently, after speaking to Radovid prematurely, I went to Triss to get the location of the house but she never offered that dialog option because I had already gotten credit for completing the quest.My conclusion is that there is clearly a bug in version 1.4 caused by something related to a side quest. If it's something that happens, doesn't happen or the order of completion, I have no clue. One thing for sure, the primary quests did not offer a key of any kind. Because I only did a couple of the side quests that were designed to help advance the plot and because neither of these offered any key, there would be no way for me to NOT get the "key" in my previous game with version 1.4 because I had completed all of the primary quests in that game as well. The only difference between the version 1.4 game that lead to a lock out and the one that let me into the hideout was the fact that I did far fewer side quests in the game that let me in.One other bug possibility would be the order in which the primary quests are completed. I stuck pretty closely to the directions given by each completed step while playing both version 1.4 games, so I doubt if that's the problem. Still, it remains a possibility.... ]:-> it's a bug...

My playthrough worked properly again. And this is a full run through a re-install of EE retail, so it won't be installation-related.I entered the Salamandra trade quarter "base", killed em, took the power stone from the dead mage, talked to Radavid's image (yay, he was VISIBLE this time!), then took the blue communication stone, then went down stairs and cleaned out the basement.Went outside & killed off Vincent (first time I've ever killed him). Then to the inn, meditate until daytime, saw Triss in bed, and progressed the journal (took two goes at talking to the npc to get to the stage I wanted) to where she had marked the map. Went to radavid's hideout and it was unlocked. Twice played in 1.4, twice the door unlocked properly. Do note that there was no loading of save games during the above method, just contant playing.I don't understand why others are having trouble. A fickle problem, it must be.

I seems to me that it must be mixing up older saved games with "fresh" 1.4 saved games that causes this behaviour.The only thing that happens in the code (near as i can tell!) is that the "locked" property on Radovid's door (from the exterior - door_radowid in djinni) is flipped from True to False most likely when taking the stone from the salamandra hideout. Because Radovid's door was always unlocked in previous versions of the game, the code simply flips that switch (so obviously does not check the state of that variable) when the trigger is activated. Voil

Top Bottom