[ACT III] Alvin to Triss, or Shani?

+
I'm sorry for Ya guys. ;) I'm playing Act II right now, but I've already decided - I took a sample of 'Shani hate' and 'Triss hate' (and re-loaded the game), and I decided that while Triss will indeed be pissed off, there is no such thing as a stable relationship with a sorceress (I think is the word). Besides, Geralt was always associated with Yennefer, not Merigold. (Merigold was the lesser mage at some point, IIRC, or at least treated like one)So I chose Shani. She's a nice kid, and after all I already had something going there. ;-PBesides, Triss will ALWAYS have her motives and needs, and she will not discuss them. The weight of the world is on her shoulders (not kidding here) AND, to top it off, she's in the Mage Association (or whatever it's called in English ;P).What I mean by that is what was going on in the book ("The Witcher" by Andrzej Sapkowski - on which the game is based) -- a lot of political whirl, and the Mage Association always having their fingers in the pie. They don't explain themselves, and (as it's said in the book) they're the ones who REALLY run things (each king/queen has his/her own mage/sorceress advisor, you know...). And that's true. But with such power comes great responsibility, and I think Alvin (just like Ciri in the books) is also a part of the Big Plan. So I can't really trust Merigold farther than I can throw her... ;PP With Alvin, anyway... ;PPPPSo my money's on Shani. 'Sides, I can go and rescue them in any situation they would need rescuing. I mean, if the kid IS an important part of the story, there can't be a Plot-Dead-End situation where one'd have to trace back to Act III and choose again, right?

It's funny, my take on the whole issue was much more about Alvin and his story.I thought that whomever would become Alvin's guardian would be exposed to certain dangers and powerful forces. Shani is not really equipped to deal with that sort of thing. Triss is perfectly capable of dealing with that. I would hate to see Shani dead because I placed someone in her custody. Also, I would hate to see Alvin fall into the "wrong hands" that I know of. True, Triss has greater chances for secondary motives, and might very well be the "wrong hands" but I figure that's part of the deal.The degree of Shani's hate after making my decision, and her unwllingness to listen to any amount of reason (no options are given) kind of leads me to think I left Alvin with the more stable of the two (i.e. Triss).

morandil said:
It's funny, my take on the whole issue was much more about Alvin and his story.I thought that whomever would become Alvin's guardian would be exposed to certain dangers and powerful forces. Shani is not really equipped to deal with that sort of thing. Triss is perfectly capable of dealing with that. I would hate to see Shani dead because I placed someone in her custody. Also, I would hate to see Alvin fall into the "wrong hands" that I know of. True, Triss has greater chances for secondary motives, and might very well be the "wrong hands" but I figure that's part of the deal.The degree of Shani's hate after making my decision, and her unwllingness to listen to any amount of reason (no options are given) kind of leads me to think I left Alvin with the more stable of the two (i.e. Triss).
This.Except I didn't care about Shani, but knew Triss could do some protecting if she had to.

hah:D My thinking was something like :Ok..... so we have to make a decision. Shani is a normal medic and all her skills she shown me are how to make a proper autopsy and she's a master in kamasutra. She may have kids with someone, but not Geralt. (possible break-up because of no kids) She's a normal, casual girl, if not to count her medical skills. She also has genes of her granny(ouch...) Also, a good mother. I can't really see her in the battlefield, other than healing wounds of soldiers.Triss on the other hand, is skilled in magics, unlike Shani. She can take care of herself. She's also skilled in battle, unlike Shani. She can do a lot of illusions including orgasm illusions or food (why the hell we need cooking for?), unlike Shani. I dont really know if she's a good mother since she can't have kids. But she's wise. She knows what's good and what's not good for Geralt. She's morally good ( " I don't want to look into your mind, although i may". An influential person in the politics scene, which is both a good and a bad thing.Triss wins with Shani on who should take care after him. Shani knows only how to heal him or care after him. Triss would make Alvin control his power and maybe, just maybe in the future be a witcher ( Geralt's dream, right ?) What in your opinion is more tempting? It all depends whether your Geralt wants to continue the witcher tradition, and be the unique guy and pass it to Alvin, or assimilate and start beeing "normal" with Shani.I took Triss. For the sake of curiousity, and the above arguments.

I also can't decide.Shani is just so sweet, but Triss is insanely hot. Sweetness, hotness, sweetness, hotness...Why do we have to make such difficult decisions? :p

I wanted to give Alvin to the courtesan in the red dress right outside the graveyards (Trade District side).But... failing that. I decided on Triss, she's got the goods to protect and teach him.

Yeah, I had the same logic as Morandil. Went back to Shani after Alvin arrived at Triss' and holy smokes, glad I went with Triss. Shani was just a bit outraged...talk about anger management classes. ;D

Torchz said:
I also can't decide.Shani is just so sweet, but Triss is insanely hot. Sweetness, hotness, sweetness, hotness...Why do we have to make such difficult decisions? :p
Yep! This game isn't about "good" vs "evil". It's about chosing one hottie over the other. I think Shani would be a good wife whereas Triss should be a backbreaking lover.I, btw, think that Shani deserves Alvin more than Triss. Triss doesn't seem to care half as much about Alvin. She only sees the magically gifted child.

Well, I just couldn't make a decision no matter what, so I took a dice. 1, 2, 3 for Shani. 4, 5, 6 for Triss. I rolled 1. :)

I prefered Shani because i noticed it was easier to please her. (the girl is guiding you step by step what she likes and what not and avoids riddles like Triss) Shani says that Alvin sees you as a father and seems to like you while Triss is always unhappy and keep saying you have to learn Alvin to be more DISCIPLINED. (in general Triss seems far bossier)Let alone that from what i noticed Shani is ALWAYS at home and sees Alvin as a child and not as a power-freak. With Shani Alvin will reach his powers at full extend eventually if he is really a "boy miracle" but he won't be missing the love of a normal mother while with Triss he would be treated like a race horse from the start and maybe that would make him eventually an abnormal personality. Apart from that i say again that Shani is always there for him while Triss is always at the tavern ploting etc I remember that after your 2 friends come and take you to the tavern to discuss at some point when you get home drunk and dazed Triss is not there (why i am not surprised) so you can't rest !!!! So you have to walk in slow motion to the Inn to rest there praying not to be the easy prey of some monster along the way. Your poor firends left you at home....I wonder why? Perhaps they thought Triss would be there. If they had some heart they should have left you in the inn , after all you would be able to find a room and the warm of a bed much more easier compaired to arrive at an empty cold house (where because of game mechanics reasons you can't rest) Also the game crashed twice in my attmpt to seek Triss and do lal that (which hadn't crash before so i got it as a message from beyyond that it would be better to chose Shani/ Triss may be more powerful in case of a dire situation but to be able to protect Alvin she must first of all be PRESENT which she is not since she is almost always out of the house befirending other politicians. Also she seemds to me far bossier and with secrets she prefers to keep for herself. Now if she was to remain a lover perhaps is better to have secrets and all that but you can't hope to build a steady marriage with so many secrets.Therefore I chose Shani. who also looks more feminine (tiny sweet in need of protection etc (Triss has big chin and is generaly bigger in bodytype also looks older and looks generaly bossy)

hehe my first take on who should care for the kid was the practical one^^ who's the one with a teleporter in her room? :-* Triss, so...let's put the brat in Triss house, less footwork ahead :) but my second time around I deeided to play it more RPG and went for shani as she is one who does not seem to have other motives in taking care of alvin than the kid's well being.

I am really not looking forward to this one. Shani is sweet and stable, Triss is sexy and scheming. I'm really hoping to play through twice to see the different choices, but given that I have not completed an RPG since the 7th grade (I'm 28 years old now) it seems that the path I choose may be the only one I see. Currently I'm leaning toward Shani this playthrough but each and every previous decision point I have come in thinking I was going to go with A and then finding myself desperately attracted to option B. Damned CDPR making such a good game! ::)

Hmm, I didnt care about either woman in my decision. Why would I, anyway ? Its a question about the best future for the boy, not for some other people's egos, is it ?Alvin is a potential sorcerer - and therefore needs supervision by an established sorcerer, or his abilities might cause a disaster.Thats why I sended him to Triss.

Tenser said:
Hmm, I didnt care about either woman in my decision. Why would I, anyway ? Its a question about the best future for the boy, not for some other people's egos, is it ?Alvin is a potential sorcerer - and therefore needs supervision by an established sorcerer, or his abilities might cause a disaster.Thats why I sended him to Triss.
Good answer. I went with Triss on this basis too.

I chose Shani after sitting for 3 hours thinking about it the moral dilemma. I weighed it up in 2 weights. One - Alvin and Two - Future. Alvin would be more suited for the future and better prepared by Triss but also he is young. Thus he will be able to hone his power on his own trained especially if the Blood of the Elders runs through his veins. Shani seems more concerned about the boy than Triss and as one of the merchants said "Triss would be the Queen of the Whores if it was not for Adda".So Shani won that argument :D

joffy said:
one of the merchants said "Triss would be the Queen of the Whores if it was not for Adda".So Shani won that argument :D
Dang, I missed that line. But Shani is still in no position to cope with the next gang of thugs trying to kidnap Alvin.

The merchant says Triss will be the queen of whores after Adda because of her attire and he is sexist and does not like women with political power. He say the only place for a sorceress is to stay in her tower, brew potion and divine horoscope. As some people has already explained, giving Alvin to Triss seems to be the most rational choice. Triss can help Alvin control his destructive power Shani can nurture Alvin better Salamandra wants Alvin for his magic power and will definitely come back again.If Alvin got captured, it will be much much worse than either woman. Shani does not seems capable of handling salamandra, she is a medic and got little combat ability. Triss on the other hand can protect Alvin from salamandra much better.Shouldn't Geralt be allowed to explain his choice to Shani? She behave like a kid after Geralt give Alvin to Triss. Triss on the other hand scold Geralt for putting other people in danger for a redhead.The quest should be rename custody battle

Many many reasons why I chose Triss, and almost all of them practical.1. A sorceress has a better chance of controlling the boy's wild power.2. She'd be better in a fight if the Salamandra came after Alvin again.3. She'll be better in a fight with ME later in the game. Shani attacks with a dagger, Triss attacks with thunderbolts. No contest there.4. On playing both, Triss was a far more disciplined caregiver. Shani let him run around and eat candy all day, while Triss was stricter and tried to teach him how to control his power. Shani more nurturing my a**, she's just a kid herself. Oh and on this note, Triss will call you a good father if you're stricter with Alvin.5. Triss saved, or helped save Geralt's life twice ( at least in the game ). Whenever someone questioned me about Triss' motives, even knowing she's hiding things from Geralt, I always answered "I trust Triss." Even though there were things not to trust, hey saving a guys life counts big.Ok enough with the practical, here's the other reasons:1. Triss is HOT.2. Shani has always annoyed me. She wants you to do this for her and that, and yet always tells you to go away when you're not needed. I didn't think of her as sweet at all.3. That speach where Shani's yelling at me and spewing jealous venom about Triss, I knew she was not the one. She showed her true colors before I chose Triss and made her hate me. At that point I didn't even feel bad about dumping her.4. What Shani said about Triss not able to have children made me think that giving her Alvin was more important to her than just being in control of a magical child. Shani can meet some nice guy who doesn't have to run off to slay monsters and have kids of her own. Shani's better off without Geralt...or creepy little Alvin for that matter, lol. Whereas Triss seems much closer to Geralt because of their similarities...not just in the not having kids factor, but because they're both destined to be alone because of what they are.

Young kids does not fully understand discipline. Getting too tough on them makes them hate you and grow rebellious. {spoiler}In act 4 Triss storyline, Alvin didn't learn anything from Triss because he hates her. {spoiler}Getting too soft spoil them and turn them into brats, like Adda. Neither Triss or Shani is the perfect solution. One is too tough and one is too soft. Geralt will have to balance things out.

NialBlack-Knee said:
NialBlack-Knee said:
I feel with you, I'm reaching the end of that Act and still haven't decided. I'd bring the kid to Shani if it was just for the kid, but it would affect Geralt's relationships as well I'm afraid. First of, the way Shani approached me and demanded the child while insulting Triss gave me an idea how a possible relationship would be like, and as sweet as Shani is, I could live without such an attitude and Geralt probably too. Then again, she's sweeter and that sort of girl a man wants to protect, I couldn't really piss her off - the image of Shani bursting into tears is just too much for me.... But then again, I think Triss is a much more interesting personality and someone Geralt can discuss other things with than simple family matters.... Think I'll choose Triss, but it'll break my heart. :-\
*nod* True, but my Geralt isn't sure about Triss yet. What with that whole sneaky mirror conversation he overheard at the start of act 3. Makes him wonder what side she is really on. Oh well I'll put it off as long as possible and hopefully something will happen to make up my mind one way or the other.Nial
Ya man when I woke up to that canversation I was like:'wutthe?! Alvin pack your bags, we're going to the Temple quarter!" lolNot to mention all that talk in the prologue about how she'd like to look into the Witcher's secretsand what the butcher says about her in the Trade quarter (LOL), that was all the info I needed

Top Bottom