[ACT III] Need more experience points

+
[ACT III] Need more experience points

I've been running around trying to gain more levels before I start Chapter IV, but it seems to me that most of the monsters I encounter don't net me many experience points -- if any -- at the moment.I've emptied out the Cemeraty and the Crypt a couple of times, last time for a total of ten Alghouls, ghouls, and Graveirs, and yet I don't think I got more than a couple of hundred experience pointsI've also cleared out the Wyverns twice (unfortunately they haven't respawed since I got the trophy wyvern). Drowners are like popcorn --no substance at all, in terms of experience -- and Drowned Dead and Bluidzingers are seemingly worth nothing either.So how do I get that one or two extra levels in here?

In act IV, the crypt in the fields respawns most reliably, but there are basilisks on the west side of Black Tern Islandand those are worth around 1400-1500 XP each depending on your levelthey do not respawn as quickly / reliably as the crypt, but they do, as do the wyerns on the east side of the island.at night, there are tons of devourers in the fields and during the day there are plenty of noonwraiths (closer to 150-160 XP each)and the quests are pretty lucrative ~ 7000-8000 XP each

gamewidow said:
In act IV, the crypt in the fields respawns most reliably, but there are basilisks on the west side of Black Tern Islandand those are worth around 1400-1500 XP each depending on your levelthey do not respawn as quickly / reliably as the crypt, but they do, as do the wyerns on the east side of the island.at night, there are tons of devourers in the fields and during the day there are plenty of noonwraiths (closer to 150-160 XP each)and the quests are pretty lucrative ~ 7000-8000 XP each
He is talking about Act III though :)It depends on what level you are already really. After a certain level you likely won't get any more significant experience.The ones that still give quite a bit towards the end are kikimores (workers and warriors) wyverns and alghouls.One tactic of going about getting more experience is to do all quests first but not complete them by talking to the quest giver and then killing as many monsters as you can for good experience. This will be tougher, but when you pick up all the quest experience at the end, you will end up at a higher level.

Right :) ... for chapter 3 the alps in the sewers BEFORE any quests -- In the elven ruins / Trade quarterand the crypt in the temple quarter sewers is still spawning graveirs and ghouls

the problem is - the more monsters of a kind you kill - the less xp you get for it try the cave in the swamps. it`s full of co-cka-tri-ces.you can travel for the alps in elven ruins using tower teleport quickly, killing kikimore warriors on your wayedit- aaa, why it censored monsters` name? 0_o it begins with c-o-c-k, but it is not the thing :p

only as you level up, for any given level, the XP are exactly the same for each kind of monster you kill and when you do level up, the XP goes down by 5 each time

It looks like that's it for me in Chapter III then. I've only got the remainder of Beauty and the Beast and then back to the main quest. Oh well, I can hang around for a few days making potions and see if things respawn in the Elven ruins and in the Cemetary and Swamp. I'll try the "monsters first, quests later" plan in Chapter four.Edit -- aha. REsting in the Elven ruins is profitable, then...One question. If i run through Chapter IV without taking my new skill points, will the monsters then count for more? In other words if I run through some of the quests but DON'T give myself any new skill points, will my level remain the same (and thus net memore experience points for the monsters I encounter?) Obviously you do need to complete a few quests to advance the story, but I was hoping that by not taking the skills my level would not increase.

basically yes, the lower the level you are, the more any given monster is worth, so when i need more XP I do all my grinding in the elven ruins at the *beginning* of Act III, then i start the quests

Not really.Basically as soon as you reach the xp necessary for the next level, regardless of whether you meditate and/or use the new skill points, your XP gain will already be automatically adjusted to the new level rather than the old.Also, odd as it may sound, sometimes you get more xp for some (very few) monsters if you are of a higher level I think. Could be because they have different CRs in each act too though...Btw, Act IV the best xp giver as basilisks. About 1.5k xp a kill and very easy kills too.

well yes, levelling up is levelling up ... not to be confused with talents allocation .. but there aren't many basilisks (they are my favourite though)

Alps are easy enough targets. I must have killed 150of them -- and gained three levels. The goal is to get to level 31 by the time I reach Chapter IV, which will be no sweat now. Um...does anyone else think those Alps sound like they're ENJOYING being killed?

that *is* an odd little scream they have .... don't know what sort of women you've dated Fraser ;Dbut the ruins are my favourite spot to "adjust" Geralt's level

Read a game walkthru and make sure you have done ALL the quests. One of the weaknesses in the Witcher is the character gets penalized by the experience gained from monsters by having the game lower the experience awarded for each kill 5 points per level (from the first time you kill one). This forces you to do all the quests - and there are many, and kill as many monsters as you can before going to the next Act. It's very easy to level up using only quests, but you must be patient and coordinate quests with monster killing to get the most experience from the monsters. A secret to good RPG gameplay is to gain as much experience as possible before moving the main plot forward. Make sure you've milked every drop of experience from the level as possible. I think the game designers should eleminate the experience penalty, and make the monsters level up too! The points to the next level increases each time, thereby maing the same experience points worth less by default. Having monsters worth only 1 points makes them a nuisance and a deterent to good RPGaming.

jnjhancock said:
I think the game designers should eleminate the experience penalty, and make the monsters level up too! The points to the next level increases each time, thereby maing the same experience points worth less by default. Having monsters worth only 1 points makes them a nuisance and a deterent to good RPGaming.
There are games that do that, and I don't like them much. To me, part of the fun of an RPG is the ability to stride confidently through areas that were difficult before, knowing that nothing in there can touch you. I agree that the one-point drowners are a nuisance, but rather than see tougher drowners, I'd prefer to see the drowners become afraid of Geralt once he reaches a certain level, so that they just stay far away from him.

Fraser said:
One question. If i run through Chapter IV without taking my new skill points, will the monsters then count for more? In other words if I run through some of the quests but DON'T give myself any new skill points, will my level remain the same (and thus net memore experience points for the monsters I encounter?) Obviously you do need to complete a few quests to advance the story, but I was hoping that by not taking the skills my level would not increase.
[quote author=jnjhancock]I think the game designers should eleminate the experience penalty, and make the monsters level up too! The points to the next level increases each time, thereby maing the same experience points worth less by default. Having monsters worth only 1 points makes them a nuisance and a deterent to good RPGaming.[/QUOTE]You guys have been playing Oblivion haven't you?

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
I think the game designers should eleminate the experience penalty, and make the monsters level up too! The points to the next level increases each time, thereby maing the same experience points worth less by default. Having monsters worth only 1 points makes them a nuisance and a deterent to good RPGaming.
There are games that do that, and I don't like them much. To me, part of the fun of an RPG is the ability to stride confidently through areas that were difficult before, knowing that nothing in there can touch you. I agree that the one-point drowners are a nuisance, but rather than see tougher drowners, I'd prefer to see the drowners become afraid of Geralt once he reaches a certain level, so that they just stay far away from him.
Different games do things differently, and that's great with me. It keeps me from feeling like I'm playing the same game over and over again. I'd love it if the drowners got the good sense to be afaid of me though. There's just so many of them! Doesn't anyone in Temeria teach their kids to SWIM?!?!? :eek:

Top Bottom